2013/14 wood in the shed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bogydave

Minister of Fire
Dec 4, 2009
So Cent ALASKA
Full section with 6 cord for 13/14.
New row 17" X 16' X 7.5'
100_7898.JPG

100_7891.JPG 100_7893.JPG100_7896.JPG

That's just awesome!

Reactions: ScotO
I KNEW you weren't kidding when you said the new overhang would give room for another row.
What are the sideways "T"'s for? Looks like you might have those tied into the stack behind.

Reactions: ScotO
Dave, I'm curious about that left end. Is it weak or just appears that way?

Changing from a 3 Iron to a 4 Iron helped a lot :)

Looks awesome.... Those are some of the best stacks out there.

I doubt anyone would say otherwise ;)

Thanks Dave

I KNEW you weren't kidding when you said the new overhang would give room for another row.
What are the sideways "T"'s for? Looks like you might have those tied into the stack behind.

I tied a rope to the header beam then a knot thru the 2X4, Wedged it tight with a small split to help hold the top of the stack in. (in 2 places)
100_7894.JPG
Several places I wedged in a 3' stick tied into the row behind to help keep it stable.

Stacked 7-1/2' high & being in an area with several earth quakes, I'm hoping it stays there for 2013/14 burn season.

Reactions: Lewiston and ScotO
Dave, I'm curious about that left end. Is it weak or just appears that way?

I wedged it into the vertical 4X4 & the row behind a few places, it's a bit crooked but stable for left & fight movement & then I tied a strap 2/3 rds up,around a few of the cross stacks to the shed frame to hopefully keep it from falling forward.
I may put a 2X4 in there if when it dries a bit, it gets loose.
Mid way I put in a strap all the way across the row & tied the 2 cross stacks together then stacked on top of the strap to hold it together.

Worried about stability, especially when 7-1/2 feet high.

Looks great, Dave. That'll keep you warm!

I wouldn't expect nothing less from a pro like you, Dave. That is a postcard picture right there, bro......

Thanks all
I've never had this much fire wood. I'm learning to manage it for my burn seasons.
4 rows (5 cord) in one section is enough for normal to warm winters here, but last year was a colder winter , used 6 +
With the new eve & row, just over 6 cords per section. (hope it is one seasons worth)
Trying to be able to have 3 years supply under roof, 2 sections seasoning & 1 ready to burn.

Plan now is to fill the emptied section with the stacks out back.

They had "Frost" 40 miles N of me last night, won't be long, Fall has started here.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
I noticed that the leaves are starting to change color. Course we all know after the fair is gone it's pretty much downhill from there.

They had "Frost" 40 miles N of me last night, won't be long, Fall has started here.

We have lots of color change here. Most of the leaf drop so far though is from damages trees from the drought but many others are turning fast.

Beautiful stack Dave; must feel good to have yet another year being readied.

So thats the secret.... running that nylon banding from end to end....tricky very tricky. Do you normally do that?

Looking good. Lotta wood. Lotta heat. Lotta work.

Bee-you-tee-full, Dave! You don't need no stinkin' laser beam. Really, very nice work.

So thats the secret.... running that nylon banding from end to end....tricky very tricky. Do you normally do that?

Yes, When stacking over 4-1/2 feet high.
This has to stay there for over a year, I'm hoping .

Thanks guys.

Looks good Dave keep that cold up there as long as you can.

Great job - good tip with the nylon, too

Very Nice!
Its a fantastic feeling to be ahead of the game? :)

Looks good! I have to build a shed at some point, maybe next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.