2014-2015 Blaze King Performance thread (Everything BK)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Uh oh. I have opened the bypass door and added wood several times when the CAT was in the active range. After loading, I closed the stove door, let the new wood char a bit, made sure the CAT thermometer was in the active range, and closed the bypass door.

What else would one do???

I dunno! Didn't get an answer. I have read that it's not good to cool the cat fast or open the door until the end of a burn cycle.

On the other hand, there are some that reload while the cat is still active so I was hoping to find out how and why from those with more experience.

I dunno! Didn't get an answer. I have read that it's not good to cool the cat fast or open the door until the end of a burn cycle.

On the other hand, there are some that reload while the cat is still active so I was hoping to find out how and why from those with more experience.

The cat stays active for a long long time at the tail end of the burn. Way after most folks need more heat and are ready for a reload. In fact, I propose that to keep a fire going without having to relight every load from scratch that you must reload when the cat meter is still in the active range.

The cat stays active for a long long time at the tail end of the burn. Way after most folks need more heat and are ready for a reload. In fact, I propose that to keep a fire going without having to relight every load from scratch that you must reload when the cat meter is still in the active range.

x2

At the end of the burn I don't really consider the cat active since it's not really burning "smoke". I look at it as the stoves internal temp/cat temp is still hot enough to allow the cat to light off if you directed smoke into it.(a 200-250 stove top temp shows an "active" cat) People are putting way to much thought into running these stoves. They're a dream to burn, sit back and enjoy them! :)

BKVP - if your headed to NY, please bring my princess ultra - all black lol, the stove should be coming in this week.

x2

At the end of the burn I don't really consider the cat active since it's not really burning "smoke". I look at it as the stoves internal temp/cat temp is still hot enough to allow the cat to light off if you directed smoke into it.(a 200-250 stove top temp shows an "active" cat) People are putting way to much thought into running these stoves. They're a dream to burn, sit back and enjoy them! :)

I agree it's not actualy active at the end of a burn but still hot enough to be active. Just wanting some reassurance that it didn't equate to being hot enough to crack if I open the door.

I probably am dwelling to much on some things. Guess it's still new and shiny to me!:)

That probe isn't exactly a precision instrument. Pull it out after burning a couple of months and it's a mess. I clean it off with a piece of emery cloth and recalibrate it once in a while, but it lives in a pretty harsh environment.

After a while, burning these stoves is a second nature-have a feel for it-seat of the pants kinda deal. Don't over think it.

Reactions: rdust
Ok, just loaded the stove about 3/4 full of Locust and Maple "cookies" since I got hold of some wood that was cut longer than I needed.

Hoping this will do us until near noon tomorrow.

Low should be around freezing tonight then around 60f again tomorrow.

Trying to load just enough to last 19 hours is a dang good problem to have!

7 hours into a burn and about 60% of the wood is gone.

Remaining wood is glowing red and the door is 90% clear.

CAT is around 11 o clock with the fans on.

I agree it's not actualy active at the end of a burn but still hot enough to be active. Just wanting some reassurance that it didn't equate to being hot enough to crack if I open the door.

I probably am dwelling to much on some things. Guess it's still new and shiny to me!:)
I really don't get all this "active "inactive" talk. If the thermometer says its active, it's active. It doesn't matter what made the catalyst hot, hot is hot! Heat is what it takes to make the cat active. At the end of a burn the only element that's missing is smoke to burn. If smoke was introduced, it would burn, because the cat is hot. Therefore its active.

I really don't get all this "active "inactive" talk. If the thermometer says its active, it's active. It doesn't matter what made the catalyst hot, hot is hot! Heat is what it takes to make the cat active. At the end of a burn the only element that's missing is smoke to burn. If smoke was introduced, it would burn, because the cat is hot. Therefore its active.

Yeah I guess ur right but now what? Don't load it until the Thermo drops 'Inactive' ?

'Dammed it you do, dammed of you don't' situation.

Wodda you do Webby??

Yeah I guess ur right but now what? Don't load it until the Thermo drops 'Inactive' ?

Wodda you do Webby??

Open bypass, open door, reload, close door, char load, close bypass and enjoy. You're not going to hurt the cat unless you don't open the bypass before opening the door.

Reactions: webby3650
Open bypass, open door, reload, close door, char load, close bypass and enjoy. You're not going to hurt the cat unless you don't open the bypass before opening the door.

Carbon copy of what I do.

So what will happen if the by-pass is 'Overlooked' by mistake?

It will lead to thermal shocking and the eventual demise of the cat.

Oh ok. Not a CATastrophic failure then.

The reason I ask is the wife piles wood in this thing when Iam not home. I will remind her of the importance of opening the by-pass.

I see some stove like the IS have fail safe door mechanisms. Interesting stuff.

Wodda you do Webby??
Like was mentioned, if it needs wood then load it up! You are not going to hurt it at all.
This whole topic has done nothin but cause confusion in my opinion. BK used inactive and active to avoid confusion and undo alarm. It's all very simple to use!

I don't concider it active unless it is burning smoke. The probe thermometer only lets me know when it can be.

No matter. I think we all can agree my question was just out of concern about opening the door while the cat is still hot.

I don't want to come across as Honest Abe here but if I cracked the cat on this thing cause I did something stupid there is no way I would try to claim warranty.

Therefore its active.

I look at it differently, I view it as just a hot cat since it's not actively doing anything. If the catalyst was "active" a chemical reaction would be taking place. The only thing the temp tells us is a reaction could happen if smoke was introduced.

In reality my view on this doesn't mean anything, and to be honest we're burning wood here so we've already spent too much time on the subject. ;lol

Reactions: HotCoals and jeff_t
I don't concider it active unless it is burning smoke. The probe thermometer only lets me know when it can be.

No matter. I think we all can agree my question was just out of concern about opening the door while the cat is still hot.

I don't want to come across as Honest Abe here but if I cracked the cat on this thing cause I did something stupid there is no way I would try to claim warranty.

That's why you have a bypass so the cold gets routed away from the cat. I'm on season 4, mine has a couple cracks here and there but other than that it's all there. When I bought this stove I said multiple times I'd gladly replace it every year if I had to since the stove is such a dream to run. I still feel that way to this day!

My cat is cracked. Once crack across each of the three cell blocks. Still works fine.

Oh and I just noticed a single little cell has a chip that fell out of it. Probably a quarter inch square!

Yep, most cells are cracked up to 3/8" our so back. Been that way for a couple years.

Feel free to reload while cat is hot. No worries...

Chris

Reactions: becasunshine
Yes

Reactions: becasunshine
BKVP - if your headed to NY, please bring my princess ultra - all black lol, the stove should be coming in this week.
I offered beer! No stoves...Delta would not let it as my carry on.

That probe isn't exactly a precision instrument. Pull it out after burning a couple of months and it's a mess. I clean it off with a piece of emery cloth and recalibrate it once in a while, but it lives in a pretty harsh environment.

After a while, burning these stoves is a second nature-have a feel for it-seat of the pants kinda deal. Don't over think it.
Best suggestion ever..."Don't over think it".

Ok all of you turn off your computers and watch the game tonight. You'll have smoke coming out of your ears if you are not careful!!

Reactions: turbojoe
Status
Not open for further replies.