2014-2015 Blaze King Performance thread (Everything BK)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I did fix my BK. The temp is good, now I don't have to worry about my house getting cold. I followed what Shane Collins quoted from BKVP. It really helps. Kind of struggled at first then i got the hang of it then fixed it.

Good to know. Guessing Alaska in November could be rough with heat problems!

Spoke with the dealer today.

Ordered a Convection deck for the Ultra, should be here early December with a boat load of stoves ordered.

We also spoke about the Thermo controlled fan kit that's been discontinued. They claim to have a retro fit kit comming that's better than the OEM.

Anyone here have the Older Thermo controlled fan's or have a retro fit system?

Feel free to post pics of these fans or Convection decks.

:p

Spoke with the dealer today.

Ordered a Convection deck for the Ultra, should be here early December with a boat load of stoves ordered.

We also spoke about the Thermo controlled fan kit that's been discontinued. They claim to have a retro fit kit comming that's better than the OEM.

Anyone here have the Older Thermo controlled fan's or have a retro fit system?

Feel free to post pics of these fans or Convection decks.

:p

My fans are thermo contolled, that is, they don't come on unless the stove is hot enough. Here's my convection deck. I think it's a good option and plan to make one for my shop stove to increase the output.

Attachments

• IMAG0502.jpg
    IMAG0502.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 232
My fans are thermo contolled, that is, they don't come on unless the stove is hot enough. Here's my convection deck. I think it's a good option and plan to make one for my shop stove to increase the output.

Thanks buddy. That's a handsome looking heater.

The stove fans put out good warm air but it could always be better.

The only hurdle, I need to cool the stove off to fit the deck. That ain't gonna happen for a while as its 14F.

Suppose its a chance to check the chimney out.

You've got to lift the flue off to get the deck on there. I just like the way it looks with a deck on it. Not sure if you will be able to access any flue collar screws you may have. For sure you will have to spin your cat probe meter around 180 since the needle will run into the deck if you leave it in the normal position.

Here's the guard pug.

Attachments

• IMAG0489.jpg
    IMAG0489.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 227
Reactions: turbojoe
You've got to lift the flue off to get the deck on there. I just like the way it looks with a deck on it. Not sure if you will be able to access any flue collar screws you may have. For sure you will have to spin your cat probe meter around 180 since the needle will run into the deck if you leave it in the normal position.

Here's the guard pug.

Yeah I will leave the Vertical pipe in place, pull the 45* off the top and slide the deck down.

Not sure if I could maybe modify the deck so the Cat gauge is correctly orientated?

Its Something I will look into once I take possession.

Nice Pooooooch!

==c

Yeah I will leave the Vertical pipe in place, pull the 45* off the top and slide the deck down.

Not sure if I could maybe modify the deck so the Cat gauge is correctly orientated?

Its Something I will look into once I take possession.

Nice Pooooooch!

==c
Back on post #557 of this thread I added a photo of my cat probe that shows the clearance issue with the convection deck and the cat meter. It's kind of silly to have to flop the meter around but it works.

Carlos the black pug was in that exact spot this morning soaking up the heat. He's actually really thin at 18#. Pugs are gluttons and will get obese if you let them.

Yes, this is my firestarter. It's got plenty of hot gases to ignite even the wettest wood. It's made by Smith & Wesson.

Yes, this is my firestarter. It's got plenty of hot gases to ignite even the wettest wood. It's made by Smith & Wesson.

Looks loaded with some slow burning powder.

Is the deck an option. I got the dual fans Would this help with more heat or I don't need it. Just got my king a couple months ago. Love it.

Is the deck an option. I got the dual fans Would this help with more heat or I don't need it. Just got my king a couple months ago. Love it.
The deck comes standard on the King Ultra. I'm not sure it's an option for the king, I think if you want it, you must order the ultra from the get go.

All:

The convection deck does seem to focus the air across the top surface of the stove a bit more. Clearly those that have them say the air it hotter when fans are on low. I guess that makes sense.

The convection deck is permanently attached to the King Ultra. It was necessary to do so in order to make the stove (very tall) pass the test for mobile home 7' ceiling installation. And as we all know, we must build them the way we test them!

The convection deck is NOT an option on the other two King models as the fan mounting systems are different. (Not the fans themselves, just the mounting system). Snowing in Walla Walla...got to go load the stove.

Chris

Okay another update. Burned all day. About 13 hours came home to stove top 330 and the cat just falling inactive. There was a nice coal bed to reload. Ran on 1.5 all day. I did notice this and was wondering if my thermostat knob is not adjusted perfect. I have the knob all the way turned and there is still another dot. Is this correct?
aaaad615b7680b571a8977976dfd2b67.jpg

On my Ashford 30 the thermostat knob stops at 3.5. Somewhere in this thread is directions on how to adjust it so it will stop at the 6 o'clock position.

Yep, I saw how to do it. I just read so many bk threads that talk about running the stove around 1-1.5 for long burns. I thought mine might be off or my draft might be the problem. It looks like my 1.5 run today might have actually been a 1?? Hopefully bkvp will give me the final answer on the correct position. Thanks for the reply!

On the princess insert, when you guys are getting the longer burns (20+hrs) are you at the lowest setting or just above that. I am stalling out the cat at the lowest setting some of the time. I'm wondering if I should not keep trying to go soooo low. At the first dot I can get good performance.

With my Ashford I can't really go below 2 without stalling the cat after a while. I just crank it up on occasion and it fires right back up!

Webby- your getting those long burns on a 2? I have noticed as its getting colder I'm getting longer burns. I went 22 hours today on the first dot above low. No fans though. I shut the fans off at night and when I'm at work.i can then run it on the lowest setting and it stays active.

Webby- your getting those long burns on a 2? I have noticed as its getting colder I'm getting longer burns. I went 22 hours today on the first dot above low. No fans though. I shut the fans off at night and when I'm at work.i can then run it on the lowest setting and it stays active.
Keep in mind that the thermostat is different on each stove In the BK lineup. My 2 will be different than your 2.

anyone take the convection deck off the princess insert? makes the fan much quieter w no rattle.much better

With my Ashford I can't really go below 2 without stalling the cat after a while. I just crank it up on occasion and it fires right back up!
That is how I run mine also. I've run it like this from 60 degrees to below zero. At shoulder season temps I run it on two splits and full load at zero. Some days it will go 24 hours on a reload when it is around zero for that time. The house temp ranged from 74 to 68.

anyone take the convection deck off the princess insert? makes the fan much quieter w no rattle.much better
I find it much easier to just adjust things so there is no rattle. It generally a very easy fix.

I'm finally doing my first load on my BK Ashford. Last night I packed it as full as I could at 10:45pm. I let it burn on high for 30 minutes then turned it down a little then after another 15 minutes I turned it down to 1.75 and went to bed. It's 30 outside and the house was 64 when I woke up at 6:30am. The cat was still well in the active zone. I turned it up a little to get it a bit warmer in here. It's now 7:40 and I just turned it back down to 2. Loads of wood left in the firebox, I expect It'll be at least a 24 hour burn. I seem to be able to run it on lower than 2 without it stalling but it doesn't keep the house as warm. 2 seems to be the sweet spot for me I think. No point running it for longer than 24 hours if it isn't keeping the house as warm as my wife wants it! I'm very pleased with this stove though, it really is something else.

Reactions: webby3650
I find it much easier to just adjust things so there is no rattle. It generally a very easy fix.
I tried a few things but nothing quieted the rattle. Decided to remove it last night and what a relief. I can finally put the fan on full speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.