2014-2015 Blaze King Performance thread (Everything BK)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You were wise to be patient and wait for something you could afford. My wife and I were also very patient and bought at the right time. As a result we were able to find our dream home at a price that didn't break the bank. We've got it paid off now. Of course there are bigger and nicer homes but this one is more than enough for us. What makes it special is, like yours, the setting. In our case, it's being backed up against miles of woods.

Since the Princes looks so nice in your place, there really was no need to go with the Ashford. I'm not sure it would have looked any better. The style of the Princess fits perfectly. The Ashford, as I said, would have worked too but I'm not sure it would have worked better. The same cannot be said for our house. We went with the enamel Ashford because, given the style of our home (not full out neo-Craftsman but significant Craftsman elements), it's the only Blaze King that would have looked good (at least to us).

You were wise to be patient and wait for something you could afford. My wife and I were also very patient and bought at the right time. As a result we were able to find our dream home at a price that didn't break the bank. We've got it paid off now. Of course there are bigger and nicer homes but this one is more than enough for us. What makes it special is, like yours, the setting. In our case, it's being backed up against miles of woods.

Since the Princes looks so nice in your place, there really was no need to go with the Ashford. I'm not sure it would have looked any better. The style of the Princess fits perfectly. The Ashford, as I said, would have worked too but I'm not sure it would have worked better. The same cannot be said for our house. We went with the enamel Ashford because, given the style of our home (not full out neo-Craftsman but significant Craftsman elements), it's the only Blaze King that would have looked good (at least to us).

Parallax, Bellingham is GORGEOUS. I was fortunate enough to do some contract work in both Oregon and Washington several years ago. I left a chunk of soul up there. It was, confusing... I am deeply tied to this place, my home, with long and strong roots. I can trace my ancestry in Virginia and North Carolina back to the beginnings of this nation. I have a multiple great grandmother who was born right across the river from where I am sitting now. And yet, I fell deeply in love with the Pacific Northwest.

It is one of the most gorgeous and, in spots, untamed places I've ever been, and I was enthralled, and so homesick at times that I didn't know what to do with myself. I was there during the summer, which in this part of the country will bake your bones. It never gets warm enough to bake your bones in the Pacific Northwest. I went out to the coast, expecting, I don't know- expecting to go to the beach? And I found the beach. It was like going to the beach here in December rather than in July. And as I stood there, feeling disoriented and so far away from home, so very far away from home, a cloud came rolling over the coastal mountain ridge and right down onto the beach. I don't mean fog- I mean an actual cloud. All the way to the sand. One second I was watching the only other person on the beach, a fisherman who was surf-casting, dressed head to toe in rain gear that would have suffocated him on the beach at home in July. The next second he was GONE. *poof!* Just like that, swallowed by a cloud.

And the cloud rolled right out over the surf.

I wanted to cry from homesickness and the absolute stunning beauty of it.

It was so poignantly gorgeous that, after those contracts ended, I came home, scooped up my husband and my boys and brought them out for a 10 day loop around southwestern Washington and northwestern Oregon. Mt. Hood/Columbia River Gorge, Portland, Cannon Beach/Seaside, Mt. Rainier, and of course Seattle and Portland.

We even took the dinner train that operates out of a spot just east of Seattle- I think it leaves out of a station near Bellingham. :)

And if you have a craftsman influenced house in Bellingham with an Ashford 30 in brown enamel in it, well, color me OFFICIALLY JEALOUS.

There, Brother Bart, I brought this response RIGHT BACK AROUND TO BLAZE KING WOOD STOVES so I AM IN COMPLIANCE. :)

I am in a "non-attainment area" for EPA air quality. We do get thermal inversions in the winter and occasional burn bans during the winter. 55 below and coughing on car and woodstove exhaust the moment you open the front door is no fun at all.

0.97 grams per hour out of the Ashford 30 per the EPA test. I have done what I can do for capital expense, and I am feeding it really dry wood. I like breathing clean air and I don't mind doing what I can to contribute to having it around.

Reactions: becasunshine
Parallax, Bellingham is GORGEOUS. I was fortunate enough to do some contract work in both Oregon and Washington several years ago. I left a chunk of soul up there. It was, confusing... I am deeply tied to this place, my home, with long and strong roots. I can trace my ancestry in Virginia and North Carolina back to the beginnings of this nation. I have a multiple great grandmother who was born right across the river from where I am sitting now. And yet, I fell deeply in love with the Pacific Northwest.

It is one of the most gorgeous and, in spots, untamed places I've ever been, and I was enthralled, and so homesick at times that I didn't know what to do with myself. I was there during the summer, which in this part of the country will bake your bones. It never gets warm enough to bake your bones in the Pacific Northwest. I went out to the coast, expecting, I don't know- expecting to go to the beach? And I found the beach. It was like going to the beach here in December rather than in July. And as I stood there, feeling disoriented and so far away from home, so very far away from home, a cloud came rolling over the coastal mountain ridge and right down onto the beach. I don't mean fog- I mean an actual cloud. All the way to the sand. One second I was watching the only other person on the beach, a fisherman who was surf-casting, dressed head to toe in rain gear that would have suffocated him on the beach at home in July. The next second he was GONE. *poof!* Just like that, swallowed by a cloud.

And the cloud rolled right out over the surf.

I wanted to cry from homesickness and the absolute stunning beauty of it.

It was so poignantly gorgeous that, after those contracts ended, I came home, scooped up my husband and my boys and brought them out for a 10 day loop around southwestern Washington and northwestern Oregon. Mt. Hood/Columbia River Gorge, Portland, Cannon Beach/Seaside, Mt. Rainier, and of course Seattle and Portland.

We even took the dinner train that operates out of a spot just east of Seattle- I think it leaves out of a station near Bellingham. :)

And if you have a craftsman influenced house in Bellingham with an Ashford 30 in brown enamel in it, well, color me OFFICIALLY JEALOUS.

There, Brother Bart, I brought this response RIGHT BACK AROUND TO BLAZE KING WOOD STOVES so I AM IN COMPLIANCE. :)
I thank you Sister Sunshine. My wife and I feel lucky to be here. It's not for everyone. As I type this, it's raining. I can hear it on our skylights. Today was a typical soggy day. But it is very green and lush.

Bellingham in Summer is about as close as one can come to heaven on earth. But people don't flock here because most can't take the rain 9 or sometimes 10 months of the year. People move in and then a couple of years later move out. If you love rain and seclusion (and don't get easily depressed in dreary weather), this is a great town. Some who hate rain wind up in Seattle because the big cities have many diversions.

I thank you Sister Sunshine. My wife and I feel lucky to be here. It's not for everyone. As I type this, it's raining. I can hear it on our skylights. Today was a typical soggy day. But it is very green and lush.

Bellingham in Summer is about as close as one can come to heaven on earth. But people don't flock here because most can't take the rain 9 or sometimes 10 months of the year. People move in and then a couple of years later move out. If you love rain and seclusion (and don't get easily depressed in dreary weather), this is a great town. Some who hate rain wind up in Seattle because the big cities have many diversions.

I found that I didn't really mind the rain so much, because there were a fair number of days when the cloud cover was high and the day was bright enough. When it's sunny, though- there's nothing like it. I told my guys that they must have been born under lucky stars, because both Rainier and Hood were out in all their glory, and completely visible, for the entire 10 days we were there. :)

I found that I didn't really mind the rain so much, because there were a fair number of days when the cloud cover was high and the day was bright enough. When it's sunny, though- there's nothing like it. I told my guys that they must have been born under lucky stars, because both Rainier and Hood were out in all their glory, and completely visible, for the entire 10 days we were there. :)
Rainier is a deadly but beautiful mountain. I can say that my experience climbing liberty ridge on the north face many years ago was one of the pinnacles of my climbing career and was full of fond memories. Washington state has some amazing attributes. The people are friendly and the ocean and mountains are amazing!

Ok, I got another question.

Loading the Princess around half full for a 12 hour or so fire I had no trouble getting the stove settled in for a good, low shoulder season burn that ranged between 375f and 450f on my thermometer just in front of the cat thermometer.

My problem is, if I load the stove full for a 24 hour burn, then turn the thermo down, slow in steps or all at once, doesn't matter. The temps will gradually creep up to 600f and stay there for hours before settling in to the 425f or so that I want.

My question is, is my cat just new and over active? In such case it will settle down in time, or is this typically what I can expect for the first few hours of a full load?

Not really a huge problem but them first few hours of 600f heats this place up to around 80f so I may just need to go back to half loads for the shoulder season.

Ok, I got another question.

Loading the Princess around half full for a 12 hour or so fire I had no trouble getting the stove settled in for a good, low shoulder season burn that ranged between 375f and 450f on my thermometer just in front of the cat thermometer.

My problem is, if I load the stove full for a 24 hour burn, then turn the thermo down, slow in steps or all at once, doesn't matter. The temps will gradually creep up to 600f and stay there for hours before settling in to the 425f or so that I want.

My question is, is my cat just new and over active? In such case it will settle down in time, or is this typically what I can expect for the first few hours of a full load?

Not really a huge problem but them first few hours of 600f heats this place up to around 80f so I may just need to go back to half loads for the shoulder season.

Yeah. What he said, although I didn't pay as much attention to the stove top temps, I find that the heat just ROLLS off of this stove in the process of getting the whole load of wood lit. Last night had windows on both sides of the house opened and a literal Nor'easter blowing through it just to stay in here. The dog couldn't hack it at all. He spent the evening on the front porch.

How do we keep this enthusiastic Princess beastie under control? :)

How do we keep this enthusiastic Princess beastie under control?

Assuming that your door gaskets are working properly and that your draft is within the limits for this stove.

The cat will burn whatever smoke comes its way and create heat efficiently so to keep stove temps down you need to limit the smoke production. Load your fuel tightly and use larger pieces. This slows down combustion by limiting the amount of wood surface area exposed to the firebox.

The high early heat is usually caused by overcharring, that is getting the whole load ripping hot beofre reducing the air. When you do that, the whole load will be smoldering all at one time and the huge smoke load will feed the cat lots of fuel even though the air setting is low. On the other hand you want to char the wood enough that the flue temps are high enough to support cat activity.

Give those two a try. Tighter loads with bigger chunks, and only enough char to get the cat active.

Assuming that your door gaskets are working properly and that your draft is within the limits for this stove.

The cat will burn whatever smoke comes its way and create heat efficiently so to keep stove temps down you need to limit the smoke production. Load your fuel tightly and use larger pieces. This slows down combustion by limiting the amount of wood surface area exposed to the firebox.

The high early heat is usually caused by overcharring, that is getting the whole load ripping hot beofre reducing the air. When you do that, the whole load will be smoldering all at one time and the huge smoke load will feed the cat lots of fuel even though the air setting is low. On the other hand you want to char the wood enough that the flue temps are high enough to support cat activity.

Give those two a try. Tighter loads with bigger chunks, and only enough char to get the cat active.

Perfect!

You accurately described exactly what I was doing. I was following the owner's manual to the letter. In my attempt to get the entire load "lit," I was letting it rip until everything was burning. Even after turning it down the heat was just rolling off of the stove.

I called and talked to the stove shop owner yesterday. We are blessed with really knowledgeable owners who are willing to help. He pointed out that our wood was notably dry and that we could probably cut back a bit on the time intervals we are using during start up. The manual says to let the stove burn at a higher setting for 20-30 minutes, IIRC, to make sure that the whole load has caught efficiently. He suggested cutting that time down; we probably don't need to burn at a higher setting for that long.

It's another way of saying what you said.

Thank you! :)

Reactions: Highbeam
I actually, adjusted the door after the third fire, used larger splits and engaged the cat at the top of the inactive zone, taking the lag time into consideration.

Never got even close to building a fire according to the manual (figured out fast that 20 minutes on high and then step down in 10 minute intervals wasn't going to work with my setup.) so, as I mentioned above, I have tried a couple different ways of shutting it down that both lead to the same results.

I'm thinking I have a small problem compounded by very dry wood and a new (slightly over active) cat. being to warm is a much better problem than struggling to stay warm.

BTW becasunshine, most dogs will hang out by the stove. I have a feeling ours is going to help us find drafts this winter;) just pay attention to where they lie.

The wife has only been gone about four days, but I have figured out if I get the stove reloaded before the cat drops out of active and get the door closed and get the cat back to engaged before the new wood on top of the hot coals gets ripping too hard I can maintain a gentle 75-80 in the house.

Wife home in six days, not much longer to play with this feature. I bet Highbeam is right, bigger splits should be smaller burning surface, smaller smoke load into cat, cooler stove.

The wife has only been gone about four days, but I have figured out if I get the stove reloaded before the cat drops out of active and get the door closed and get the cat back to engaged before the new wood on top of the hot coals gets ripping too hard I can maintain a gentle 75-80 in the house.

Wife home in six days, not much longer to play with this feature. I bet Highbeam is right, bigger splits should be smaller burning surface, smaller smoke load into cat, cooler stove.

Yell, I think that may be a big part of my problem right now. To mild for 24-7 burning so most of our fires are from cold starts. Probably just charring to much wood getting up to temp. May try getting it up to temp on a small load and then add just before time to engage the cat.

Do you guys get the 24 hr burns usually on a hot reload? I can't see getting them off a cold start, it's only shoulder season and I run the stove on 1.5 to keep the house around 70. It's only getting into the low 30's I imagine when it's 10 out the stat will be around 2.5+ to keep it 70.

I'm loading e/w probably around 50lbs of wood which brings it up to the top of the stove. Dry (4yr top covered) hardwood.

Yeah. What he said, although I didn't pay as much attention to the stove top temps, I find that the heat just ROLLS off of this stove in the process of getting the whole load of wood lit. Last night had windows on both sides of the house opened and a literal Nor'easter blowing through it just to stay in here. The dog couldn't hack it at all. He spent the evening on the front porch.

How do we keep this enthusiastic Princess beastie under control? :)

Put in less fuel and the end result will be fewer gases to feed that combustor. A full load produces lots of gas for the combustor to process.

On the princess insert are people measuring stove top temps on the flat spot in front of the cat thermometer? Or on the front of the stove somewhere?

I am going to try this and see what I get collected in my flue over the next 6-8 weeks. Saving the small splits for deep winter and burning the big ones in shoulder season is counter intuitive at first blush, but thinking it over it ought to work out fine.

Do you guys get the 24 hr burns usually on a hot reload? I can't see getting them off a cold start, it's only shoulder season and I run the stove on 1.5 to keep the house around 70. It's only getting into the low 30's I imagine when it's 10 out the stat will be around 2.5+ to keep it 70.

I'm loading e/w probably around 50lbs of wood which brings it up to the top of the stove. Dry (4yr top covered) hardwood.

24 hours is pretty much a given anytime I load the stove during the early season. I run the t-stat at or near the same setting no matter the temp.(1 1/2 to 1 3/4 usually gets it done) The colder weather the chimney draws more air through the stove making a hotter "fire", I typically us the fans to regulate the house temps.

Reactions: webby3650
Dieselhead thanks for creating the now annual BK performance thread. :cool:

Put in less fuel and the end result will be fewer gases to feed that combustor. A full load produces lots of gas for the combustor to process.

Are you THE Blaze King VP?

I am *so impressed* with this stove! It's too easy! This is a GREAT stove. I didn't even fire it up last night. It was still generating enough heat from the fire I had the night before to keep the house warm all day and into the evening. I've never known of a wood stove that could produce heat for that long- seriously. The old school stoves were hot when they were hot, and then they were cold. Once the wood burned up (relatively quickly) the stove cooled down relatively quickly as well.

I started up the Princess the evening before last, got the fire established, and that was pretty much it for the duration. Once I got it set up on the low end of the "normal" range I didn't touch it again. It burned on low for over 24 hours and I didn't have to touch it at all. That's amazing, it really is.

Thank you for such a wonderful stove!

Once I got it set up on the low end of the "normal" range I didn't touch it again. It burned on low for over 24 hours and I didn't have to touch it at all. That's amazing, it really is

Starting our 4th season with ours and it still continues to amaze me. First two seasons I burned a Lopi Endeavor, nice, well made stove but no comparison to the performance I get with the BK.

Are you THE Blaze King VP?

I am *so impressed* with this stove! It's too easy! This is a GREAT stove. I didn't even fire it up last night. It was still generating enough heat from the fire I had the night before to keep the house warm all day and into the evening. I've never known of a wood stove that could produce heat for that long- seriously. The old school stoves were hot when they were hot, and then they were cold. Once the wood burned up (relatively quickly) the stove cooled down relatively quickly as well.

I started up the Princess the evening before last, got the fire established, and that was pretty much it for the duration. Once I got it set up on the low end of the "normal" range I didn't touch it again. It burned on low for over 24 hours and I didn't have to touch it at all. That's amazing, it really is.

Thank you for such a wonderful stove!

Yes, that's what's on my business card anyway. Thank you for the compliemnts regarding your stove. I hope you enjoy it for many decades.

Chris

Chris do you have a dealer in the Pittsburgh area
Yes, that's what's on my business card anyway. Thank you for the compliemnts regarding your stove. I hope you enjoy it for many decades.

Pool & Spa Outlet
160 Galley Road Canonsburg Pennsylvania
15317 US
Telephone: 724-873-7665

They have two stores, so they may have stock. Don't hesitate to use our look up option on the website and try other areas as well.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.