2015-2016 Blaze King Performance thread (Everything BK)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They just have a few made up for the annual trade show and was fortunate enough to get one. And BKVP thoughtful enough to save a pink one for my wife. It's not like they are given out all over creation.
I hear ya, just bustin your chops (and bkvp)

Beer should be poured in a glass, not drank from a bottle or can. If you're referring to "malt beverage product" not qualifying as true beer (eg. Coors, Miller, Bud, etc.), then carry on.

Beer should be poured in a glass, not drank from a bottle or can. If you're referring to "malt beverage product" not qualifying as true beer (eg. Coors, Miller, Bud, etc.), then carry on.
Fully agreed but when a fella is packin his beer in a horse pannier deep into the wilderness and has to pack said beer vessel OUT of the woods, he tends to like cans! Plenty of good local brews now in cans sure helps.

And when you find yourself deep into the wilderness with a beer snob, cover the body with more than just leaves before you ride back out.

Quick question. I tried searching but can't find it.

My Sirocco doesn't have numbers on the thermostat, just a high-low range. Dial adjusts left from 8 o'clock position and right to 6 o'clock. When turning down I hear a click at 2 oclock. Is the click the point where the internal damper shuts, meaning going any lower is useless? Also should I avoid operating below that point as I've cut off all air?

Thanks

Quick question. I tried searching but can't find it.

My Sirocco doesn't have numbers on the thermostat, just a high-low range. Dial adjusts left from 8 o'clock position and right to 6 o'clock. When turning down I hear a click at 2 oclock. Is the click the point where the internal damper shuts, meaning going any lower is useless? Also should I avoid operating below that point as I've cut off all air?

Thanks

Yeah if you here the damper clunk shut then it's at the lowest setting depending on how warm the spring is. Turning any further means the spring ain't gonna open the damper to maintain the burn when the stove cools.

Reactions: Ashful
Where do I get one of these?
you have to buy $50,000 in merchandise then you get a free hat. sorry, your out like the rest of us

$100,00 for the belt buckle

Reactions: mwhitnee
I'll go to my local stitch shop and have my own made.

Reactions: Woody harrelson
Yeah if you here the damper clunk shut then it's at the lowest setting depending on how warm the spring is. Turning any further means the spring ain't gonna open the damper to maintain the burn when the stove cools.
Exactly. But to elaborate, your stove may be hot when you turn it down and hear it click at 2 o'clock. It may not click shut till 1 o'clock at cooler temps. In each case, it will open back up at a different rate/temp. This is the challenge in finding the best setting for your environment and desired burn rate, and the reasoning behind the "great numbers sticker debate" of September 2015.

Reactions: Woody harrelson
What was outside temp? I'm running one of mine on less pipe than that, with 100% oak fuel seasoned and stored outside, which is surely less dry than your eco blocks. What is your detailed start-up procedure?

Sorry for the delay in responding.. this week has been nutso here. Outside temp was in the 40s at the time. On startup I had a good size kindling fire going, then put 3 envi blocks on top. Left the thermostat on 3 for a while until everything got caught well, then closed the bypass when the cat got active. It kept climbing, so I turned the stat horizontal to the middle of the "normal" range, left it there for a while, then turned it down to just below normal.. 1.5? Checked it again a half hour later or so and the cat was still active and glowing, so thought all was good. Ignored it for the next 8 hours or so, came home to a cold-ish stove and the cat was out of the active range, but when I turned the stat up and opened the bypass, there was still quite a bit of fuel left.

I know this is all very unscientific.. I don't remember exacts, sorry, nor did I take any pictures. I'm not too worried about it yet, and when the stove is turned up it works just fine.
You said your flue is shorter.. do you have any elbows, or is it a straight shot?

Sorry for the delay in responding.. this week has been nutso here. Outside temp was in the 40s at the time. On startup I had a good size kindling fire going, then put 3 envi blocks on top. Left the thermostat on 3 for a while until everything got caught well, then closed the bypass when the cat got active. It kept climbing, so I turned the stat horizontal to the middle of the "normal" range, left it there for a while, then turned it down to just below normal.. 1.5? Checked it again a half hour later or so and the cat was still active and glowing, so thought all was good. Ignored it for the next 8 hours or so, came home to a cold-ish stove and the cat was out of the active range, but when I turned the stat up and opened the bypass, there was still quite a bit of fuel left.

I know this is all very unscientific.. I don't remember exacts, sorry, nor did I take any pictures. I'm not too worried about it yet, and when the stove is turned up it works just fine.
You said your flue is shorter.. do you have any elbows, or is it a straight shot?

Try running it at the 3 o'clock position. With my set up at 40 degree temps it will stall out and not burn all the wood in the stove.

Reactions: drz1050
Try running it at the 3 o'clock position. With my set up at 40 degree temps it will stall out and not burn all the wood in the stove.

Running at 3 o'clock, in the middle of the "normal" range is where I usually have it. Runs just fine there. Thought I'd be able to turn it down a little further though with the wood blocks, and for a whIle there I could.. guess at the low settings it just can't be a set-and-forget it thing.

Running at 3 o'clock, in the middle of the "normal" range is where I usually have it. Runs just fine there. Thought I'd be able to turn it down a little further though with the wood blocks, and for a whIle there I could.. guess at the low settings it just can't be a set-and-forget it thing.
My stove doesn't take much movement on the T-stat knob to go from super low burn to a stalled cat. I try to drop it by very small increments once I move lower than "normal" then give it 20 minutes and see how everything reacts. If the guage starts to nose dive towards a potential stall I will turn the T-stat back a hair, and I do mean a hair. I quickly gave up on putting it to the exact same setting and thinking it would react in the exact same fashion each time. I remind myself that the fuel I put in the stove is far from exact every time so the reaction won't be the same every time. I make sure that it's all stable and the cat isn't climbing or diving for about an hour before I go to bed. I hate midnight wake up calls from freezing or sweating!

Status
Not open for further replies.