2015 Black Friday Log splitters!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wish there was a Menards here.........

I don't know why they have an issue with linking to the correct splitter (was that way last year too).
I don't waste time with bfads or whatever either, and there is no 'pop-ups on my computer. Just go to menards.com and type in the actualy SKU of the 30T in the search box 270-1004 or here is a direct link if it works http://www.menards.com/main/p-1444448038903-c-1446215532061.htm?tid=6782549249758406277

Ok. The Menards 30T appears to be related to the 28 and 35T "Country Tuff" units sold by Orcheln:

http://www.orschelnfarmhome.com/Ors...splitter?&query=wood+splitter&hits=12&offset=

I eyeballed that 35T unit as I left Orcheln last night. It's definitely not a DHT. Both the Menards 30 and the Orcheln units have the same 4 cleats on the splitter foot, same fixed (welded) gate to push off stuck logs, etc. No 4-way without cutting mods into those.

Was at our local Menards tonight and looked at the splitter they had on the floor. It was an Earthquake 22ton normally $999 on sale for $799 today through the 29th. Looked a lot like Champion splitters I've seen in the past.

Ok. The Menards 30T appears to be related to the 28 and 35T "Country Tuff" units sold by Orcheln:

http://www.orschelnfarmhome.com/Ors...splitter?&query=wood+splitter&hits=12&offset=

I eyeballed that 35T unit as I left Orcheln last night. It's definitely not a DHT. Both the Menards 30 and the Orcheln units have the same 4 cleats on the splitter foot, same fixed (welded) gate to push off stuck logs, etc. No 4-way without cutting mods into those.

I meant to say last years deal was the DHT... we had a couple users here that actually got one and confirmed it was DHT 27T. This new 30T is definitely branded Forest King but is similar in construction. I have no idea about the pumps and mechanicals though, just the basic construction (similar 1 bolt attachment on one end of the cylinder onto a similar I beam, etc.

30Tsplitter27Tcompare.JPG

It'd be nice if they had some more specs on this 30T but the info is rather sparse. I'm really debating between it or the TSC 22T for just a little more but its hard to pass up on the bigger unit.

It'd be nice if they had some more specs on this 30T but the info is rather sparse.

This is what I found it says, don't know if you saw that yet or not:
  • Powerful electric start LCT 208cc OHV engine
  • Splits logs up to 26"L
  • Convenient vertical and horizontal operating positions
  • 13-second cycle time
  • Requires 6.5 gallons of hydraulic oil (sold separately)
  • Some assembly required
  • Package dimensions: 29-1/2"W x 75-1/4"H x 18-3/4"D, 552 lbs.
  • Includes battery
  • Hydraulic oil sold separately. Some assembly required
6 AM - 12 PM
All Items While Supplies Last! No Rain Checks Or Price Adjustments.

Closest menards to us is 399 miles ;lol

How decent is that 22 ton model?

So anyone pull the trigger? Not me, so I gotta live vicariously.

Make me jealous by describing your killer deal.
I grabbed the 30 ton from menards and got it put together in the garage yesterday. Had to start it up and split a round or 2 but it's pretty much rained here since noon yesterday. Supposed to stop later this afternoon so I plan to get out tomorrow and really try it out.

My dad was also talking with someone he knows who farms 600 acres or so. Said he had more down trees from clearing fence lines etc than he knows what to do with. Got his cell going to call him on Monday I may be in business.

Last edited:
Reactions: edge-of-the-woods
After shopping black friday with my wife several years ago I swore I'd never do it again. But the splitter deal changed my mind this year, and I decided to take the hour and a half drive for the splitter. Except that they sold out and it was a wasted trip besides dealing with all the commotion. Guess it's back to swingin' the Fiskars and renting a splitter for a while longer.

Bummer. That's no fun. Maybe next year there will be a good deal that's closer to you, we can hope.
Nothing much closer unless someone is selling something on craigslist! Well TSC & Lowes are maybe 10 minutes closer.

Status
Not open for further replies.