2015 XXV Burn Rate

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Kingst

Oct 20, 2021
Massachusetts
So I just installed my first Harmen. A 2015 I obviously bought used. But I'm not exactly sure on feed, and fan settings. 1 being the lowest feed setting, and 6 the most? And will the feed increase if I turn up the fan,? all on constant burn mode btw. I dont have thermostat hooked up for room temp mode

Set it at about 3 or 3.5 & let er rip. You should have about a 1" thickness
of burnt ash ash the front of the burnpot, according to Harman.
Some pellets will give you more or less ash in that area.
Once you find the setting for a certain brand of pellets, you won't
have to make any further adjustments.

I'm just a shade above 4 on my XXV with the pellets I use. A bit of trial and error in the beginning.
I put arrow markers on the settings as a reminder where the settings seem to work best for my setup.

2015 XXV Burn Rate

Reactions: Washed-Up and DAKSY
Technically a higher room fan speed could allow more auger feeding at a constant high feed rate (#6 for example), than a low fan setting. If the fan speed is low the ESP temp would be higher and stove would dial back auger feeding and/or dial up fan speed to lower stove temp.

Try running high and low room fan speeds on a high feed setting and count the number of seconds the auger feed is on relative to the total 60 second period. Let stove stabilize at both fan speeds for 10 minutes and you may see a difference. Curious why this is a concern other than you enjoy a low fan speed due to lower noise levels? Typically the goal would be to get heat out of stove efficiently without wasting too much up the chimney.

Technically a higher room fan speed could allow more auger feeding at a constant high feed rate (#6 for example), than a low fan setting. If the fan speed is low the ESP temp would be higher and stove would dial back auger feeding and/or dial up fan speed to lower stove temp.

Try running high and low room fan speeds on a high feed setting and count the number of seconds the auger feed is on relative to the total 60 second period. Let stove stabilize at both fan speeds for 10 minutes and you may see a difference. Curious why this is a concern other than you enjoy a low fan speed due to lower noise levels? Typically the goal would be to get heat out of stove efficiently without wasting too much up the chimney.
Well I'm just trying to determine my pellet usage. It seemed to go through a bag very quick. But I think I misunderstood the Harman video in the QR code. I transposed the settings in nt mind. Thinking 1 was fastest feed and 6 was slowest...

In your picture it looks like you have the feed limit cranked up to maximum which would explain excess pellet usage. Actually, I would expect non fully pellets to be spilling over the bun pot and into the ash pan at that setting. As others have mentioned, start at 3 and adjust from there.