2018/19 VC Owners Thread

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m very curious to see actual real time temps reported for the BK’s. I’ve tried to stay up to date on the BK thread but that has proven to be impossible. You guys talk about way to much chit and I haven’t come across anyone reporting actual temps.
Hmmm, yeah. ;)
I'm glad to see the VC thread take off this year. You may be able to overtake the BK thread, if you just post more off-topic chit, then keep repeating the same posts over and over again. ;lol

Woody
You are back I see! Old self.....

Guys not new to the wood stove game but new to the cat side of wood stoves. Tore out the fire place in the new house purchased a used intrepid ii for $500. Love the looks of it but i am having issues with keeping the temps from soaring. After i purchaced the stove gave it a good cleaning replaced the gaskets on the griddle and the doors, this helped a little. I did have some leaks around the front casting where it meets the side castings so i put a bead of rutland on it from the outside ( enamel is pealing so not overly woried bout the looks) planing on doing a full tearsown and re-cement after burning season. Cat looks to be in good condition might replace with steel cat soon. Last night gave the stove a good vac with the ash vac including the cat chamber and cleaned the newly installed flue. Very minimal deposits on both. After i finished lit a fire engaged the cat once the griddle temp reached 425 450 as i normall do and closed down on my primary but the stove kept climbing in temp. I have a good supply of cut offs (chip wood from the saw mill) that i was using the last few nights because i need to make a run to the big wood pile at the farm where we keep the bigger splits. Should i not be using the chip wood with this stove because they are to small and dry (less than 13% some below 10%) and use the bigger splits from the farm, or maybe use the chip wood to get the cat up to temp and then add my large splits to keep it from running too hot. Also i do have on order a double wall probe and a cat probe. Love the look of the stove just want to make sure i am running it right and get this little stove dialed in

Attachments

• BEBFC09B-1E0B-4F6B-BB16-C3F21D7D247A.jpeg
    BEBFC09B-1E0B-4F6B-BB16-C3F21D7D247A.jpeg
    147.1 KB · Views: 215
  • 2E7DA613-05F6-45B1-92DA-9774639D0DF5.jpeg
    2E7DA613-05F6-45B1-92DA-9774639D0DF5.jpeg
    156.5 KB · Views: 217
93FDBC64-A716-42DC-9987-4B7A87E384F6.jpeg
Trouble! Last night my handle was getting hot, and my cat temperature was low while my GT was 550. I just took a look to see if the combustor had a lot of fly ash and this is what I discovered.
What parts do I replace? Refractory engine? Front manifold?

Last edited by a moderator:
81F49229-CFB2-4942-A934-1F748C4756B8.png
Here is the parts picture.

I did have some leaks around the front casting where it meets the side castings so i put a bead of rutland on it from the outside ( enamel is pealing so not overly woried bout the looks) planing on doing a full tearsown and re-cement after burning season.
When the stove is hot, you might be able to get a better idea where the air leaks are by shooting the seams from the outside with an IR temp gun. If air is being pulled in at a particular seam, the stove will be cooler there.

View attachment 240445 Trouble! Last night my handle was getting hot, and my cat temperature was low while my GT was 550. I just took a look to see if the combustor had a lot of fly ash and this is what I discovered.
What parts do I replace? Refractory engine? Front manifold?

Im not sure i see anything broken. Can you be more specific. Im looking at the picture i cant tell if somthing is cracked or broken. I done see any pieces missing

E85B6750-D64A-4F77-8633-8B826C66E2ED.jpeg
See the white front edges? There is a gap along the entirety of that white edge. Bulged in probably from over firing? Heat getting in through that gap created by that bulge made my damper handle hot.
I really need my stove running ASAP. Can the gap be packed and the stove be used? Aluminum foil?

Last edited:
100_1894.JPG 100_1895.JPG
Okay I'm going to attempt to upload pictures of the inside of the new Intrepid. First attempt at this so we'll see how it goes. Also this stove now has a metal cat. The owners manual says it's ceramic but it's not.

I'm having the same issue...

Thought I had it figured out but my method has started to fail.

Seems for the first hour or so the wood just off gasses too much and I can't calm down the roaring cat till the wood starts gassing less. Almost seems best during this off gassing period to leave the air highest it goes but who knows...

Anyone know how to get the wood to off gas slower?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Have you tried regulating the secondary?

I wait for the cat to start its downward trend before I start to air it down

I started cooking the wood longer (leaving air n damper wide open) before engaging cat. Seems to help. I think the oak is a little greener than I thought.

I’m almost done with this batch of oak. On to the next batch soon but I do not look forward to getting the new fuel “dialed in” again.
What I have found with my wood: I’ve been burning mainly a mix of 4yr white oak and 2 yr red oak. If I fill the box full of this wood in the firm of large splits (4”+) it seems to smoke more than flame which results in hard to manage cat temps. If I split it smaller and try and get stovetop in the 550 range (bypass already shut) before I start closing primary it works much better. The problem I believe is to much moisture in the oak even though it is all 20% and lower. I’m a few pieces may be higher but very few. When I burn some very dry ash and elm the cat behaves great.

Guys not new to the wood stove game but new to the cat side of wood stoves. Tore out the fire place in the new house purchased a used intrepid ii for $500. Love the looks of it but i am having issues with keeping the temps from soaring. After i purchaced the stove gave it a good cleaning replaced the gaskets on the griddle and the doors, this helped a little. I did have some leaks around the front casting where it meets the side castings so i put a bead of rutland on it from the outside ( enamel is pealing so not overly woried bout the looks) planing on doing a full tearsown and re-cement after burning season. Cat looks to be in good condition might replace with steel cat soon. Last night gave the stove a good vac with the ash vac including the cat chamber and cleaned the newly installed flue. Very minimal deposits on both. After i finished lit a fire engaged the cat once the griddle temp reached 425 450 as i normall do and closed down on my primary but the stove kept climbing in temp. I have a good supply of cut offs (chip wood from the saw mill) that i was using the last few nights because i need to make a run to the big wood pile at the farm where we keep the bigger splits. Should i not be using the chip wood with this stove because they are to small and dry (less than 13% some below 10%) and use the bigger splits from the farm, or maybe use the chip wood to get the cat up to temp and then add my large splits to keep it from running too hot. Also i do have on order a double wall probe and a cat probe. Love the look of the stove just want to make sure i am running it right and get this little stove dialed in
Try the larger splits. And make sure the thermostat flapper is closing completely.

Nice renovation. I would use the “chip” wood as a kindling and burn your larger splits. This should help keep things in check. As long as you have all the leaks buttoned up.

Have not. Got to sell the Encore first and get it out of the room. Part of the sale is that the purchaser has to remove it from the house. This hasn't happened yet. So the Intrepid is just sitting in an adjacent room waiting it's turn.

Update: After a week or two of using the larger splits have not had an issue with the griddle temps getting too high seems to want to cruise around 450-550. Now gonna work on trying to get some longer burn times. Im guessing once i get the new cat and do some more tweeking ill have some good coals in the morning when a wake up that i can use to kick start the fire for the day. One other question to the group. Where the bypass dampner meets the fireback i do see a little bit of a gap all the way around the bypass dampner. Is there suppost to be rope gasket in that area? Also what paint is everyone using to color match their vent piping to the stove? I have been using the rust-o-leum high heat and i have had some flaking issues at closer to the stove. Finally what suggestions does the group have for enamel repair dont? Its mainly on the sides and the areas are too big for the touch up paint. My best guess by looking at other threads looks like a total re-enamel would be costly and i havent found anyone in the Chicago southland that even does it (Joliet area).

Update: After a week or two of using the larger splits have not had an issue with the griddle temps getting too high seems to want to cruise around 450-550. Now gonna work on trying to get some longer burn times. Im guessing once i get the new cat and do some more tweeking ill have some good coals in the morning when a wake up that i can use to kick start the fire for the day. One other question to the group. Where the bypass dampner meets the fireback i do see a little bit of a gap all the way around the bypass dampner. Is there suppost to be rope gasket in that area? Also what paint is everyone using to color match their vent piping to the stove? I have been using the rust-o-leum high heat and i have had some flaking issues at closer to the stove. Finally what suggestions does the group have for enamel repair dont? Its mainly on the sides and the areas are too big for the touch up paint. My best guess by looking at other threads looks like a total re-enamel would be costly and i havent found anyone in the Chicago southland that even does it (Joliet area).
I don’t have experience with an intrepid but I would imagine there is suppose to be a gasket in the upper fire back that the damper plate seals against. With that small of a fire box I’m guessing you are going to have to do your last load of the night fairly late to have enough coals in the morning. For this load try and use larger squared off splits of oak or locust. Something dense that will have a slow burn rate when choked back. Pack the stove as tight as you can with minimal airspace.

Hi All - posted this in another thread but thought this would get better responses in this thread.

I recently (as in 2 weeks ago) installed a VC Intrepid Flexburn w/o the cat converter (model 2215). I have started a few small fires over last weekend and let them burn out per the O&M manual. Also - new chimney installed.

Last night I tried to start a fire and it seems like it is starved for oxygen even with the heat adjustment lever being at high. When I would open the front doors - the fire would perk up. The smoke would draft very well up the chimney.

When I would close the front doors - it seems like the fire would peter out regardless of what setting I had the burner adjustment at. I poked around the rear end of the stove and discovered an air flap just inside where the combustion air goes into the stove. Regardless of where I set the heat control lever - the flapper didnt move. It seems to me like this could be the issue. Should this flapper be linked somehow to the heat control lever?

I am getting minimal / zero support from the company I purchased it from and am quite frustrated with their lack of customer service so it seems like I am going to have to go at this alone.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Hi All - posted this in another thread but thought this would get better responses in this thread.

I recently (as in 2 weeks ago) installed a VC Intrepid Flexburn w/o the cat converter (model 2215). I have started a few small fires over last weekend and let them burn out per the O&M manual. Also - new chimney installed.

Last night I tried to start a fire and it seems like it is starved for oxygen even with the heat adjustment lever being at high. When I would open the front doors - the fire would perk up. The smoke would draft very well up the chimney.

When I would close the front doors - it seems like the fire would peter out regardless of what setting I had the burner adjustment at. I poked around the rear end of the stove and discovered an air flap just inside where the combustion air goes into the stove. Regardless of where I set the heat control lever - the flapper didnt move. It seems to me like this could be the issue. Should this flapper be linked somehow to the heat control lever?

I am getting minimal / zero support from the company I purchased it from and am quite frustrated with their lack of customer service so it seems like I am going to have to go at this alone.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Welcome to the forum. A schematic diagram of the stove would be handy to determine the inner air flow.

However, what you are discribing is a perfect scenario of wet (unseasoned) fire wood. Try burning a 2x4 cut up to stove size pieces or any lumber yard scraps. Go through your fire starting steps with this lumber yard wood and see if the fire acts differently. You might have your answer there.

Good luck

Thanks for the reply.

I will certainly try that. The wood I was using was supposedly seasoned and didnt seem to have any moisture in it but I have no real way of telling.

Any other Intrepid Flexburn owners out there that can lend some input into the rear air inlet damper?

Thanks for the reply.

I will certainly try that. The wood I was using was supposedly seasoned and didnt seem to have any moisture in it but I have no real way of telling.

Any other Intrepid Flexburn owners out there that can lend some input into the rear air inlet damper?
Invest in a wood moisture meter, most of the big box home improvement stores have them or of couse amazon. That way you can verify before you buy or use the wood. I just got one this year and was very surprised at what i thought was seasoned was not.

Mjs,I just bought one about a month ago. it's not hooked up yet as I need to sell the Encore first that I'm currently using. My air inlet seems to be working okay though. I'm thinking as above your wood is too wet or your draft right off isn't to par. With the damper open and a kindling fire well going with the griddle on top open it should take all the smoke up the flue still. If some still leaks out of the stove with a hot fire going then I think you draft is too weak. There is a YouTube video on using the Intrepid but it's the Intrepid II stove not the flexburn but process is the same.

Also - the glass has become black after only a few firings. Not sure if that is indicative of wet wood too.
Wet wood and possibly trying to burn to low.

Status
Not open for further replies.