2020 Buck 74?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Abc1997

Sep 28, 2020
North Puget Sound
After 12 years of service its time to replace my Buck 21 and am looking at the Buck 74 to replace it. I'm impressed with how the 21 was constructed and the 74 addresses my primary complaint about my current stove, small firebox.. My understanding is the 74 has the same basic design as the 21, just a overall bigger stove.

I'm surprised this stove (assuming its a similar design to the 21, secondary tubes & fiber baffle) meets the pretty stringent new EPA rules. I'm not sure how the manufacturer was able to accomplish this and without a distributor in my state (Washington) I cant actually go look at one which isn't ideal.. If this is the stove I do wind up choosing planning on ordering it online and hiring a local chimney sweep to help m do the install.

Has anyone here happened to purchase a 74 since the new EPA regs have taken effect? If so, first impression? Search results for this stove are generally positive but not really current.

1600 ft2 single story rambler, stove inserted into well constructed masonry fireplace. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Shouldn't be a problem. There are several well-made stoves that are manufactured within a 100 mile radius from Regency, Pacific Energy, Quadrafire, Lopi & Country (IronStrike) and cat stoves by Blaze King.

Shouldn't be a problem. There are several well-made stoves that are manufactured within a 100 mile radius from Regency, Pacific Energy, Quadrafire, Lopi & Country (IronStrike) and cat stoves by Blaze King.
There is one slightly more local brand , but entirely different stove, i was looking at, a Kuma Cascade insert. A shop the next town over had a Kuma Alpine in their showroom. Nice looking but it seems more fragile than the buck, not as well constructed.. I also wonder if my S.O. is up for operating it as well (compared to the ease of our existing 21). Also another 800 bucks.

Buck is a common brand in other distant parts of the country. I’m surprised that you had one in Washington where so many other equivalent brands have had such a strong market presence for decades.

Unless you have some specific need for a rare stove I would recommend you at least go look at similar stoves from more common brands here in the pnw.

I looked at the manual for the 2020 buck74 and from what I saw the only thing that they changed was more or less holes in burn tubes 1, 2, and 3, and they changed the pattern of the holes in the 4th burn tube. They also added a fire blanket on top of the baffle boards. Along with testing with cordwood is how they reached the step 2 emissions regs I assume. I have a step 1 emissions 74 and it is a sturdy easy operating chunk of steel and I would think the 2020 74 would be pretty much the same honestly. That being said i would at least check out some more local brands near you like begreen and highbeam mentioned. I never was fond of big purchases that i hadn't put my hands on. I am surprised they dont have a dealer base in Washington as well.

All thanks for the feedback. I took another look at the Kuma this afternoon and, while it’s going an entire different direction from a Buck, it may be a good heater for us. Local rep, long burn times, will fit in our fireplace well, etc. I think my initial reservations may have been from something different from what I’m familiar with..

There was a small stove shop in my town that carried Buck which is why I wound up with the 21, but they have since closed. Thanks again!

We have a Buck 74 at our vacation home up north now for 9 years. I myself wouldn't get that model again mostly because of the tapered firebox and the smaller splits needed for n/s loading. Been a great stove though, puts out a ton of heat with good burns times.
Get the Kuma! Were actually getting Kuma Alpine put in next week in our current home.

We have a Buck 74 at our vacation home up north now for 9 years. I myself wouldn't get that model again mostly because of the tapered firebox and the smaller splits needed for n/s loading. Been a great stove though, puts out a ton of heat with good burns times.
Get the Kuma! Were actually getting Kuma Alpine put in next week in our current home.
How are you liking the kuma? I'm debating between the alpine, osborn 2000, and a venice 1700 right now

How are you liking the kuma? I'm debating between the alpine, osborn 2000, and a venice 1700 right now
We just love Kuma so far. Very easy to operate, getting 10+hour burns between reloading, blower is very quiet on the lower setting, and puts out a ton of heat for a smaller unit. Our stove is located in the Kitchen/dinette area which is in the middle of the house. Yet we are able to run it low enough so we don't roast us out and still warm the whole house nicely. We have a 1500 sq. 60's ranch. We run without the surround so we have more access to the stove top for warming etc. We also get more radiant heat I feel. The Customer service is outstanding also. Jason and Mark helped us before the purchase and during the install when we had questions. One item I'm not a fan of is the blower thermostat is on the cord rather than the blower. I need yet to see if I can't shorten the cord and mount the dial on the wall so it all looks nice.

IMG_2304.JPG

That thing on the cord with a dial is a rheostat for adjusting the blower speed. Some stoves also turn the blower on and off with a thermostat device mounted to the stove.

The Enviro Venice is no longer sold. Have you found one used? It's a good and beautiful heater.

That thing on the cord with a dial is a rheostat for adjusting the blower speed. Some stoves also turn the blower on and off with a thermostat device mounted to the stove.
Thanks Highbeam for clarifying.

Well... they are not allowed to sell it as new. I would negotiate on that.

We just installed the Kuma Alpine a few weeks back. We just love it! Are you adding a blower?

A blower, maybe, powering it is a bit of a problem with the stove in the middle of the room. Gonna try one of those small fans you sit on top of the stove first. Glad to hear you are happy with your stove! I can tell already this thing is an entirely different animal from my old 21.

I just ordered one of those fans yesterday. Going to set in back and see if it helps move any air. If nothing else they look kinda neat.
FYI, the blower makes a huge difference as far heat output. Plus its nice to have to cool the stove down if needed.