2022 Garden Thread

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
That's really a good price and that looks neat and I might check into those but my problem is I need something "higher in height" so I am trying to figure that out...But they do look nice...I wonder if I could put something like that on some concrete blocks or something--just thinking here--which could be dangerous--lol clancey

Reactions: Dan Freeman
That's really a good price and that looks neat and I might check into those but my problem is I need something "higher in height" so I am trying to figure that out...But they do look nice...I wonder if I could put something like that on some concrete blocks or something--just thinking here--which could be dangerous--lol clancey
Don't see why you couldn't put these garden beds up on concrete blocks. Might be a good idea to gain some height.

Thanks and that's good...Just wondered how flimsy they might be and if blocks would hold them if I bought any...I also have a steel cart on wheels--large one --that I might consider using--just thoughts--thanks...Gosh I must be getting spring fever thinking about growing stuff. lol...Just a few not too many plants maybe about three or four...appreciate...clancey

That is a good price!

Mrs Clancy, another thing to consider is how far you want to lean over. I have 2ft wide and 3 foot wide beds. I like the 2 foot wide better. Some people kneel on a small stool or sit on a cart to make it easier to garden.

I did not think about that and you are right especially with my advancing age and I will totally take that into consideration and will come up with "something" and share my idea--lol--might not be that much of an idea but I will work on this....getting spring fever here..thanks..clancey

Ten new garden beds, @Dan Freeman ! That’s some expansion. You really do have spring fever.

@clancey , you could also build a raised bed out of cinder blocks. I put one in the corner of my house in my backyard last year. This photo was taken when I was first getting it into position. It’s basically the same now but is filled with soil and has a few herbs in it that survived our recent freeze. The three cinderblock height requires more material to fill it (we used rotten wood and brush trimmings at the bottom), but it is really comfortable to work with without so much bending.

59C5CB6E-AB1F-438F-AD84-C5A38E037589.jpeg

@EatenByLimestone, I agree with you about preferring narrower beds. I think it depends, of course, on whether you have access from both sides. The new beds that we got from our neighbors last year are four feet wide, and it can be a stretch for me at certain points. I made it harder on myself by putting up trellises between the beds, but I left a gap in the trellis so that I can still get in from the back, and I can reach through the metal. If I’m leaning from the front, though, it’s a stretch, and I’m a fairly tall woman with long arms. If I were constructing my own, I’d make them narrower, but I’m still incredibly happy with the beds we got for free.

More wonderful ideas--thanks..That Freeman does have "Spring Fever" he's biting at the bit to get started.lol Me too I am thinking about it...I do not want anything so permanent and maybe something that can be moved but that width suggestion was a real winner and I would like to be able to get at it from four sides--so I am working on this--might take clear into summer-lol--the way my brain works...I might do something with my small wood shed when my carpenter gets back in town--still figuring--thanks...clancey

Ten new garden beds, @Dan Freeman ! That’s some expansion. You really do have spring fever.

@clancey , you could also build a raised bed out of cinder blocks. I put one in the corner of my house in my backyard last year. This photo was taken when I was first getting it into position. It’s basically the same now but is filled with soil and has a few herbs in it that survived our recent freeze. The three cinderblock height requires more material to fill it (we used rotten wood and brush trimmings at the bottom), but it is really comfortable to work with without so much bending.

View attachment 291846
Nice one! Perfect for that corner. We actually were thinking of going with cinder blocks, but when I saw these and the great price, I decided to go with them. Lugging all those cinder blocks from Lowes into my van, out of my van, and down into the field was not something I really relished. As far as getting 10, I probably don't need that many for raised beds in our new food forest, but who knows when they will be available at this price again. I'll store the rest for replacements for my oldest wood raised beds. I probably won't have them up and working for this Spring; there is so much else to do, but I will start setting them up once I have my seeds growing, my other beds prepared, and build the fence around the food forest. Each bed will need 32 cubic feet of fill. I will use branches and wood chips on the bottom and get about 8 cubic yards of 50/50 mix (half topsoil/half mushroom compost). I helped the co-owner of the nursery we use by designing labels for her lavender products. She gave me a $100 gift certificate to the nursery, so that will help pay for the soil.

Reactions: clancey
I planted two tomato seeds last weekend in starter pots. A leap of faith in my zone 3-4 existence! I wonder if they'll live most of their lives next to the wood furnace? They'll be able to go outside full time (or most time) in July!

I did have an unexpected success. Last summer I put a bunch of mixed hot pepper seeds I'd saved from a batch of hot sauce I made 10 years ago into a pot, just to see if they were viable still. I brought the pot of immature plants in when winter threatened, and they've made the prettiest house plant. Blooms for the fall, and an assortment of colorful mini-peppers this winter. It'll be interesting to see if I get something big enough to trouble with eating when they go out in the sun this summer.

I did a little transplanting the last couple of days: broccoli, cauliflower, kale, lettuce, a couple parsley plants, and some sugar snap peas. I have more pea seeds sprouting now because I didn’t get enough germination on the first round. I needed to free up space inside so that I can start tomato and pepper seeds. I haven’t done it but I’m finalizing plans for which varieties I plan to grow. I’ll also start a couple for the neighbors.

Thanks freeman for the u-tube planting information but somehow and cannot pull up the other message..I do not know how to send messages on here to someone so far I sent to the moderators when I needed help --so cannot pull up your message other than the u-tube presentation and I need it again for I deleted it by accident--nice information too about hydro....Its snowing and cold here and not good for planting..lol clancey

Thanks freeman for the u-tube planting information but somehow and cannot pull up the other message..I do not know how to send messages on here to someone so far I sent to the moderators when I needed help --so cannot pull up your message other than the u-tube presentation and I need it again for I deleted it by accident--nice information too about hydro....Its snowing and cold here and not good for planting..lol clancey
Not sure which one you are speaking about Mrs Clancey. If you can be more specific, I will try to help you out.

We decided to expand the area of the food forest to accommodate some more trees on the east side (2 plum, 2 cherries, and 1 almond). Yesterday, I went out to mark it off. The ground is still solidly frozen; I couldn't even drive a stake into the ground. Instead, I marked the expansion with some pieces of wood on the ground. This will bring the total area from @7000 sq ft to 9500 sq ft.

I had to order another roll of welded wire - 100ft since the border is going to be almost 400 ft now. Luckily, the company that makes it is about 40 miles away, so I can pick it up rather than have it shipped. We save a lot of money buying it direct (rather than Home Depot or Lowes) and picking it up ourselves.

I have another 13 trees and vines coming the beginning of April. That will bring us up to 33 trees, bushes and vines. The 10 new 4x10 raised beds came in the other day. Most of them will go down there, too. Just have to order the soil to fill them. Luckily, I helped the owner of the nursery where we buy our soil by designing the labels for her Lavender products. She wanted to pay me, but I have known her for so long I told her "No". She was so happy with the label designs, and she sent me a $100 gift certificate to the nursery! That will help pay for the 8 cubic yards I need to buy.

I am also going to pipe water down into the food forest using flexible polyethylene pipe so we have 2 or three places we can hook up hosing. Easier than dragging hoses a couple of hundred feet from the faucets.

Lots to do once the weather begins cooperating. 30 days until Spring!

I am chomping at the bit to get started!
Drooling

I can see that--lol--"eager to get started"---you need 10 more acres and stop slipping around that frozen ground--give it time and just enjoy a cup of hot chocolate and read as you wait--lol ..Enjoyed .
clancey

@Dan Freeman , you are eager to get started! That’s great that you have a good source for wire fencing. It’s such a necessary part of gardening where there are deer.

We’re working on some projects down here. It’s time to plant the seed potatoes. I’ve been wanting to get them cut this week but didn’t have time till yesterday afternoon. I sat on the floor with my five year old and nine year old and built a “potato maze”. It starts in the front left-hand corner, and the kids taped walls that go in angles, and it ends up coming back to the front right-hand corner where my son has his hand sticking in the exit door in the picture. The idea is that that potatoes will grow their shoots toward that sole source of light. We’ll see. I hope to get the seed potatoes in the ground tomorrow, but I think I haven’t designated enough space for what I have. I need to look at the garden plan again.

2022 Garden Thread

I started some tomato (and a few herb) seeds on Monday afternoon. They started popping up yesterday morning. I think the winner was a type I haven’t grown before, Blush 2.0 from Artisan seeds. We’re hoping it will be a good tomato for drying.
2022 Garden Thread

The last shot is a corner of one of my onion beds were I tossed and raked in a handful of cover-crop tillage radish seeds the other day. I really should have done it in the fall, but our warm temperatures went on so long, and then suddenly winter arrived. I wasn’t expecting so much germination. I’ll let these grow for a while, perhaps eat a few (we love fermented daikon), then cut off the tops and let the roots disintegrate. I have rows of these by the trellises where onions aren’t planted but where I plan to put tomato transplants when it’s warm enough. This bed didn’t have that same empty space because I have some beets there instead.

2022 Garden Thread

I just love seeing seeds sprout and plants growing, so I thought I’d add some horticultural cheer for those of you who live in places with real winters. (I do miss snow, I have to admit.)

Looking good! Yes, I agree. I love planting seeds, watching them sprout, grow and bear their harvest. There is something mystical about it.

Those seed potatoes look good. Where did you buy them? I still have to get some, but the ones I have seen so far look pathetic. Going to make some potato boxes using old pallet wood. I get 2 years or so out of them before they rot and break apart.

I got them at the local Tractor Supply store. Mail order sources are so expensive that I don’t think I’d be able to justify growing the small quantities I have room for, and I like being able to pick my own bag. The bags are paper with a little mesh, so I didn’t realize that my blue ones were as far sprouted as they were. I like to choose the smaller size potatoes, though, but when I get larger ones, I just try to distribute the eyes when I cut.

I was just at Tractor supply this morning to buy some gloves and bird seed. They didn't have any "live" plants, just seed packets. Still a bit too early here, I guess. I don't want to buy them mail order either, not only because of the shipping cost, but most places want you to buy 5lbs of a particular type, and you don't know what you are getting.

So much stuff to do and you people really have the "know how"--fun to read about the different plants and ideas...and since you have so much energy to start this year I am surprised that you don't have some sort of "bee" raising culture and would not this be good?...You people truly need more work to do--lol Thanks for sharing and those pictures are neat to see... clancey