2023/24 VC owners thread general discussion

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
525 is the same for me in that area. I have two for the top and my griddle meter always runs hot if placed where the manual says. Right now its 675. We have different flues but my pipe is 325. I don’t have the digital one yet for the catalyst but the factory included one is in the middle of the operating range.

For me it’s the amount of fuel that really stands out from my previous stove. Granted I’m being careful but it is significantly less than my old stove.

I wonder if there is a guide to what defines medium/large splits.
Thanks, that makes sense I had a pretty good size load in last night and my flue was steady 550 for a while. Cat 1200 sst 650.

Thanks, that makes sense I had a pretty good size load in last night and my flue was steady 550 for a while. Cat 1200 sst 650.
If your STT is accurate that is pretty hot with the cat engaged. Very rare that I get over 500 STT with the cat engaged unless the burn has been going for hours and I can open the primary air. My STT is directly on the griddle and it's an accurate Condar magnetic thermometer.
I can't give accurate flue temps as I've got DW pipe and haven't had the urge to drill it yet.

I would take advice from the more experienced users here on temps. If you were at 650 with a meter between the griddle and the flue collar that seems high for my limited experience. For me that meter tops out at ~525 or so.

The griddle is another story as it consistently runs hot when the other meters are in the proper range. Air leak tests were good. Primary air flap works as it should. I‘ll call the place I bought it and see if something else might be defective since the manual does state to use griddle temp.

*edit* User error is also a strong possibility!

Last edited:
Sometimes little columns of fire develop under the griddle meter and that seems to be when the higher temps are reached for me. If I move that meter a few inches away from that spot it settles back down.

Has anyone noticed this?

Well my griddle is very typically 100-200degreesF hotter than the rest of the stove top. It seems the material type is designed that way.
This is why we monitor the griddle separately than the other STT.

Glad to see new members joining. About a year ago I was one of the newbies here and new to VC.
To the new folk, details matter when asking what seems to be a simple question. This is why these experienced dudes ask so many follow up questions.

Reactions: skb31
Well boys, they are forcasting as low as single digits up here at the cabin. This is the first time it has gotten that cold since I have lived in this state (about 30 years). It's also the lowest temps forcasted since I have lived in this place. It's not great insulation after 28 degrees. We have 2 weeks of wood stacked under the eves on the porch and about 3 days in the house. I have a feeling I will be running my dauntless wide open and don't expect to get very good burn times.
currently 70f inside the cabin
20f outside and snowing. I'll report back in the am on my burn rate and air settings. Wish me luck
GoD I can't wait to move!

Right now we're under a blizzard warning. Come Sunday through next week they're talking negatives at night and single digits during the day.

Well last night and this am is rough.
I kept my stt between 450-550 all night. Primary air either at 100% or two clicks towards close 80% open.
Had to wake up every 2 hours to top off the wood load.
Temp currently at 8f outside and inside cabin is 60f and can't get it any warmer. The old insulation of this place just can't hang in these low temps.
The VC is cranking out massive heat. The air temp above the stove at the ceiling is 120f.
How are you guys fairing?

@sargeott do you have the cat engaged and running at 100% air? Do you monitor flue temps? I can't open my air 100% even without the cat engaged as the flue temps would be too much. At 100% air my STT would also be a lot higher.

Yes cat is engaged, primary air at 100%, surface temp on a single wall pipe right before the chimney is at 350f.
My stove is doing all the right stuff, just this cabin wasn't built for super low temps.
I only open the bypass to load and keep stove temps high enough to kick the cat back on after reloads.

It’s only 30F here but the wind is howling. I’m still running stove low but I don’t have to open any windows. And when I say the wind is howling it’s putting enough extra draft on the stove that the epa holes have whistled a time or two!

Well last night and this am is rough.
I kept my stt between 450-550 all night. Primary air either at 100% or two clicks towards close 80% open.
Had to wake up every 2 hours to top off the wood load.
Temp currently at 8f outside and inside cabin is 60f and can't get it any warmer. The old insulation of this place just can't hang in these low temps.
The VC is cranking out massive heat. The air temp above the stove at the ceiling is 120f.
How are you guys fairing?

The cold is working its way down to us and the winds are 30 to 40mph today

As in years past.. this coming week will be one where were stuffing the stove full and running it harder then normal..

My stove does a good job and rarely needs additional help.. Having 2x6 walls and the house wrapped really help when its super windy like this.

My son just brought up alot of thick oak for burning this week

If your house is 60 and its only going to get colder Id look into something to help the stove out.. like an electric space heater or something running on kerosene and put it on the far side of the cabin.

I never turn on my furnace.. but I do have 2 gas fireplaces both on remote thermostats.. I can set a temperature and if it dips below that they kick on.. I cant stand burning oil..

Sorry to hear your cold.. that sucks..

In 24 hours.. we will be burning hard as others here..

Reactions: sargeott
It’s only 30F here but the wind is howling. I’m still running stove low but I don’t have to open any windows. And when I say the wind is howling it’s putting enough extra draft on the stove that the epa holes have whistled a time or two!

This will be one of the tougher weeks we have had in a while..

Ill be cleaning the stove later today and Ill be switching back to the steel cat.. Iv pretty much been burning overnight and thats it.. letting the stove go out.. It loods to be 24/7 for the next 10/12 days

Well I’ve uncovered part of my “stove gone crazy” issues. Was burning some pine that I css and covered in 2019. I’m gonna say about 20% of it wasn’t seasoned. I mean it literally boiled in the stove. I can see where my luck could line up and I get two or three of these pieces in at the same time and cause some problems.

2023/24 VC owners thread general discussion

Well I’ve uncovered part of my “stove gone crazy” issues. Was burning some pine that I css and covered in 2019. I’m gonna say about 20% of it wasn’t seasoned. I mean it literally boiled in the stove. I can see where my luck could line up and I get two or three of these pieces in at the same time and cause some problems.

View attachment 322665

Im not to sure about that.. Pine normally seasons relatively quickly.. 1 year.. its not a hardwood, its not dense. There may have been alot of pitch in it.. that is what you may be seeing.
Pitch is where pine gets uts BTUs from

I don’t know what it is…I figure if it was gonna dry out it would have done it by now so I’ve got it to burn.
Either way it is the same procedure as burning not seasoned wood…mix with good and run it hot!

I've yet to see 3+ yo pine that's not seasoned. If it sat out in the rain uncovered.... sure. But usually pine cut and split is a 12 month or less turn around.
Hell I have pine in my stove right now that was dropped and split in March of 23.
Rusty, do you have a moisture content meter? Get one from that jungle website cheap. It helps remove doubt.

Side note
I caved and kicked on the furnace. The cabin wouldn't get above 50f with the dauntless running full tilt for 24hrs. My electric bill is gonna suck this week.

Side note
I caved and kicked on the furnace. The cabin wouldn't get above 50f with the dauntless running full tilt for 24hrs. My electric bill is gonna suck this week.
True but electric bills are usually cheaper than plumber bills.

Stove is down cold, we are going to be gone all day so took the opportunity to shovel it out. The heat pump is holding its on. 24F outside and it’s putting out 90F at the vents. When temps drop on down to 0 tomorrow and the strips kick in I’ll be in the same boat as you.

I've yet to see 3+ yo pine that's not seasoned. If it sat out in the rain uncovered.... sure. But usually pine cut and split is a 12 month or less turn around.
Hell I have pine in my stove right now that was dropped and split in March of 23.
Rusty, do you have a moisture content meter? Get one from that jungle website cheap. It helps remove doubt.

Side note
You need a bigger stove.... I got a Defiant I will sell. It will put out more heat than you can stand. Shipping cost is yours.... :)

• Haha
Reactions: AsylumResident
You need a bigger stove.... I got a Defiant I will sell. It will put out more heat than you can stand. Shipping cost is yours.... :)
Haha
No it's the cabin. We do well up here until the temps and wind get below 18f.
It's fine we are moving soon. 13 years up here has been enough.