2024 Garden Thread!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
By request! Whatcha growin this year? I have red currant tomatoes, parsley, cilantro and green onions growing in the kitchen/aerogardens.

Reactions: EbS-P
I started my seeds this past sunday. I have them on the heat mat now.. I started 3 varieties of tomatoes and 2 varieties of peppers.. Ill probably start the eggplant this weekend.. I cleaned out the greenhouse from the fall/winter pots.

The tomatoes should be up in a couple more days.. kinda excited..

So I have roma.. 12 plants because my wife will mask sauce out of them. Better boy, Wisconsin 55, and beef master.. the peppers are keystone red.. which will be red/green, red and yellow and Cubanella frying peppers...

were doing the garden a little different this year.. making it less work.. no beans, celery, lettuce,.. Sometimes we over do it a little..

We are doing more onions.. and increasing row spacing.. Sometimes it gets to crowded

Some of the extra plands will go in container then eventually get moved into the greenhouse in the fall

very nice! I’ve never grown celery from seed. I understand there’s a long time until germination. I looked for seeds years ago. I found plantlets 1 year and really liked growing it!

very nice! I’ve never grown celery from seed. I understand there’s a long time until germination. I looked for seeds years ago. I found plantlets 1 year and really liked growing it!

Celery is way slow.. I start them the 3rd week in January most years.. probably 20 days to germination on a heat mat at 75 degrees.. the key I have found is to start early get them going for a bit.. I move everything to the greenhouse around the 2nd week in march depending on the forecast.. everything is in the ground roughly the first week of may.. obviously this time line is for southern NJ

Last edited:
Tomatoes by March! Buckbee’s new is the variety. I’d have to back to the 2023 thread to see when it set. Seeded September 1.

We just transplanted 18 cauliflowers. Winners in my winter hydroponic garden were oak leaf lettuce, landis winter lettuce Paris island (no as head). Giant red mustard is doing well too. Squirrels prefer collards and dino kale. Straw bales will be prepped soon.

IMG_9672.jpeg

Interesting results from changing the color of netting.
What color for squirrels? ;) one got caught in my net today. It go. Last year at this time after something ate through 3 wiring harness it would not have been that lucky.

One year of hydroponic growing in the books. Summary is I’ve done way better with hydroponics than anything else I have I have tried. Growth of the same seeds has been faster than in my dad’s garden with a a greenhouse cover. I’m going to keep expanding my hydro setup. My biggest surprise is how well the coco core and perlite gutter did. For baby and salad greens. Tomato results are mixed. Some varieties still don’t have blossoms while others are showing ripening fruit.

I’m planning on comparing hydro to straw bales to my Dutch buckets. The Dutch buckets are a game changer.

There are so many different types of growing. I’d bet they all have advantages in different conditions.

I just received my seeds from Annie's Heirloom. San Marzano type, Three Sisters combo with Delicata and Acorn squash, Italian red peppers and a bunch of herbs. Also have potatoes, onions and garlic. I need to see how I can arrange a portion of the basement as a root cellar as I had a real hard time storing potatoes this past winter.

I like San Marzanos.
We grow Pomidore Squisito. They are a San Marzano type, but more productive and disease resistant. Blue Beech is a great heirloom paste tomato with wonderful flavor and size.

By request! Whatcha growin this year? I have red currant tomatoes, parsley, cilantro and green onions growing in the kitchen/aerogardens.
Too early to start warm weather crops here. They won't go in the ground before 4/15 or 4/30 if we have a cool spring. I will start them at the end of the month. I have lettuce and tatsoi seeds planted in greenhouse trays and not much else.

However, I did get an owari satsuma orange and another pomegranate plant. The orange is currently in the greenhouse.

We’re pretty far away from it too.
Same here. Just got another couple of inches of snow overnight. I've been gradually increasing my supplies to start seeds indoors; mats, lights etc. Collecting sap and had my first boil this weekend; I count that as gardening ;)

First tomato! My first heirloom. It was starting to split.

IMG_9707.jpeg

Reactions: begreen
Congratulations, @EbS-P ! What a treat in February? How did it taste?

My mom and I decided it was time to get serious about trying to make room for seed starting. It’s still too early for the warm weather crops, but we wanted to start some cooler weather plants. We moved the planter with the eggplant plant and ginger onto the sunporch, relegating an old jalapeño to the outside where it’s had some freezing nights. We started some cabbage, Chinese cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, lettuce, and leeks on Monday. They’re making a good showing already.

IMG_3648.jpeg

Reactions: begreen
Yay, welcome sprouts. Our lettuce and tatsoi has sprouted quickly too. I need to start broccoli today. The indoor tomatoes are in high gear and ripening quickly now. We are getting a basket full every 4-5 days now.

Yay, welcome sprouts. Our lettuce and tatsoi has sprouted quickly too. I need to start broccoli today. The indoor tomatoes are in high gear and ripening quickly now. We are getting a basket full every 4-5 days now.
Are these the Tiny Tims or some other variety? I seem to recall your getting another type. How many plants do you have indoors?

Update. Still a chance of frost for the next couple weeks but this isn’t comes back indoors. I pulled up most of everything in the bags and replanted.

Tomatoes taste great!! Buckbee’s new. Not very acidic. Not to sweet. Just nice tomato flavor. Soft flesh. Not many seeds. Beef steak structure. A lot more fruit is setting. I probably should rip out everything that doesn’t have fruit setting and replace with clippings from the Buckbee’s but I probably won’t.

And my I’m teaming up with my dad in his garden.

IMG_9717.jpeg IMG_9716.jpeg IMG_9718.jpegIMG_9715.jpeg

Are these the Tiny Tims or some other variety? I seem to recall your getting another type. How many plants do you have indoors?
We have one Tiny Tim in it's own iDoo 6 hole. Then we have micro tomatoes in pots and the 12 hole iDoo clone for a total of 6 micros. They are Jocolo (yellow/orange), Baby (red sort of grape shaped) and Bunny Kisses (red).
IMG_4234.jpg