203K loan for renovation?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought my house on a 203k. It was a foreclosure, no kitchen, no heat, unknown septic and well, no flooring, etc....

I'm a contractor, all my banking is done through the local bank where I also got my loan. It was incredibly simple, but a lot of that was probably due to the fact that it's a small (2 branch) bank in a small town. They couldn't write a mortgage on a property with no heat, so this was their solution. I think I took one draw, did the rest out of pocket, the small bank was a breeze to work with on all of it.

I would really suggest making sure you have an establishment that you like. If you have a builder in mind don't be afraid to pick their brain as well. In my case there were no delays, I've been on jobs where we had to leave and come back because the bank inspector wasn't available to look at the job and release a draw, or there was a misunderstanding between the owner and the bank about draw release points, etc... All that just adds up to extra costs for the owner.

The only hang up was the bank required the purchase of points to initiate a loan (2009), there was a misunderstanding about how these points would transfer over to the mortgage when the loan was converted. Essentially, the bank had me pay something like $1500 in points to "initiate" the loan, which dropped the rate. I only held this loan for about 4 months. When taking out the mortgage, the points I bought on the 203 were tossed out the window, when they were supposed to be applied to the 30 yr loan!

Long and short, a few phone calls with some attorneys, a thorough review of the initial paperwork and bank policies. The common sense question of why would anyone buy points on a 4 month loan, and they adjusted the 30 yr rate to reflect the points that were required on the 203k.

Still a great bank, not sure if it was an intentionally shady move or due to the fact that the underwriter was / is an idiot, but they made good on it.

$2370 in taxes in Upstate NY.. it certainly helps that Saratoga County has way lower taxes than Albany.. they also give me a nice break for being a combat veteran. :)

School taxes are over 3x what city taxes are.

My parents live one block over and pay $4k+.

I live in central NY and pay $6k+. My town taxes that I receive service from are only $1,200. The rest is school taxes.

The schools have become idols where everyone is force to worship at the threat of imprisonment. It is criminal.

Don't hate me, but my $8400 was township + school included. [emoji3] spend wisely!

I'm a Realtor and have sold quite a few houses with a 203k. It is a great program and allows you to have a high Loan to Value. Downfalls are a contractor HAS to bid the work to be done. There is a way around that buy getting a contractor to 'Bid' the project and just pay you the draw as they come in. The other down fall is with mortgage insurance, new guidelines say that MI will be for the life of the loan (instead of the historical drop at %80 LTV.) The other downfall is because it is a FHA project, the final result has to meet FHA guidelines.

Usually banks have a 'portfolio' loan that is a conventional product, can't go quite as high as 203k, but could probably get in without mortgage insurance. Little bit more leeway with a conventional than an FHA.

My advise would be to call all the banks in the area and ask them about there different renovation programs.

Status
Not open for further replies.