23" lintel

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pyper

Jan 5, 2010
Deep South
I want to put a woodstove on the hearth of an existing masonry fireplace. I don't want an insert.

The lintel is 23 3/4 inches (23.75") from the hearth.

So far the stoves I've found that fit are

Hearthstone Homestead
Jotul F100

It also looks like the Jotul F602 might go (it would be close) but it looks like the firebox is very small, and it's probably a little too long for the hearth.

It's going in a basement that will be fully finished. Primarily to be used for heating on weekends and evenings. The area is currently unheated.

I thinnk the Homestead will get you the most bang for that size, as well as giving you a broader view of the stove.

I think my Dutchwest 2460, with the optional short legs, would just fit...

*Edited to add that I'm full of carp in this instance; The top of the pipe would be 25.75".

Thanks! I'll check those out too.

The F3 with the short legs sounds like a good option. There's a Jotul dealer just around the corner from the house, and I like the F3 a lot better than the short Jotul stoves. I think the Hearthstone looks really nice, but my wife thinks it's ugly. No accounting for taste, right ;-)

Can you move your lintel up? If so, it would give you more stove options.

Todd said:
Can you move your lintel up? If so, it would give you more stove options.

Maybe a mason could do that, but I sure couldn't! ;-)

It's a brick fireplace with a steel lintel.

The other option I thought about was putting a hole through the brick higher up, so stove pipe would come out of the top of the stove for a couple feet, then an elbow through the brick and up.

Actually, the easiest modification would be to take the hearth out, and then anything would fit. But I kind of want to just have it installed without doing a lot of work on the FP first.

Status
Not open for further replies.