24 hour burn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Wolves1

Minister of Fire
Nov 15, 2014
Malverne ny
I wanted to pick peoples brain or what they actually do for a 24 hour burn especially Blaze King owners since they seam to have great 24 hour burn times. One thing I’m very curious about is blower on or off for 24 hour burn.

Owner of a BK freestanding princess, when I do 24hr burn times its with the blower off, and not a big heat load needed to maintain the house at 72. Typically the outside weather it low temps in the 30's, high temps in the low to mid 40's out. I define a 24hr burn as the cat stays within the active range for 24hrs (typically that means the stove top settles off to 450 deg or so.
I have been able to stir the coals up and relit a fire off of them after 36hrs from last load, but that's with the cat in-active and stove top around 200 deg f, so it doesn't meet my criteria of a 36hr burn time.
I can maintain my house without the blower running at my 72deg threshold until temps dip below 26-28deg f, minimal wind outside, once it gets windier, or temps dip below I turn the blower on low and switch over to shorter burns, usually 12hr reloads, (but its more like 14 during the day then a higher burn at night.
Once winter really hits, temps in the single digits I burn heavy like any other stove, sometimes load 3 times a day, but keep the thing ripping. Total cords burned in a season is just under 4, starting end of October and lasting to the end of April unless its a early spring.

I don't have a blower, so count me as off.

Aside from that, I load the stove full and can maintain 70-75 degrees until the outdoor temps drop below the mid twenties F or so. Then I switch to 12 hour reloads for convenience.

Do you close the air once temp is reached completely or lower gradually.

My situation is different. I always run them on low due to be running two. Mostly, I run one for the most part on low and it is enough to handle my heating needs. When cold outside, I run both on low and still getting minimum 24 hrs with the house staying mid to high 70s regardless outside temp. Due to the layout of the house I always run two heat sources. New cats this season, I am going back to almost 30hrs on a full load of softwood mostly, on each one of usable heat for me cause the house stays in the 70s.
Including when single digits and below 0, low is all what I need to keep the house warm. With those low temperatures my wood consumption increase at same low settings but still get decent hrs, almost 24 hrs schedule. Is better than doing multiple loads on just one for me. Both have fans but I don't use them for the last two season or so.

Do you close the air once temp is reached completely or lower gradually.

I burn around 20 mins on high, then turn partway down for another 20-30 mins before lowering to my final setting.

Sometimes I do it on a steps and sometimes just to my low. This is what I do. On reload if I just want continue the burn and the house doesn't need heat to raise the temperature, once the wood catch up I lower to my low setting and it will eventually get to a black box on its own. If I need to raise the temperature then I burn on high for awhile like you are saying. If that is the case I do it in steps. Depending the type of wood and amount loaded, the time in high varies. I think 20 to 30 minutes between the steps is too much. 5 to 10 minutes is more than enough. Pine and softwood as I burn mostly with low moisture doesn't need to much time on high. My experience btw.