240v/120v generator inter lock panel

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ted11

Feb 7, 2023
central PA
I have two options to feed my generator inter-lock panel. a honda EM3500X, or two westinghouse IGEN2200 inverters paralleled together. the honda is 3000 continuous, and IGEN 3600 watts. is there any benefit of 240v over 120v other than powering both legs of the panel? the IGEN has 600 more watts and clean power

if you get a 240 volt circuit for future and bought a 120 volt gen now your screwed. the interlocks control a 240 volt circuits plus the whole panel. if you get 2 120 volt generators you will have to set up 2 circuits or have everything you want running on the generators on the live side of the panel and have the otherside dead. the way i tell my customers (why bother with setting up a generator for circuits that you have to pick and at the same time of running it you have to take a candle into the bathroom)

if it were me i would buy the 240 volt gen and hook it up the right way. i have a 5000 watt that i have used my electric stove with

if you get a 240 volt circuit for future and bought a 120 volt gen now your screwed. the interlocks control a 240 volt circuits plus the whole panel. if you get 2 120 volt generators you will have to set up 2 circuits or have everything you want running on the generators on the live side of the panel and have the otherside dead. the way i tell my customers (why bother with setting up a generator for circuits that you have to pick and at the same time of running it you have to take a candle into the bathroom)

if it were me i would buy the 240 volt gen and hook it up the right way. i have a 5000 watt that i have used my electric stove with
i already have all the generators and i'm redoing my panel box. the 120v inverters are more wattage than the 240v one. also the inverters are clean power for electronics. i can get 4 circuits out of my transfer panel with the inverters which is enough to divide up 3600w through out the house. so other than power distribution and generator connection it really doesn't matter , does it?

It’s even stupider… the 240 gen can only give 1750 to each side of your panel. So you can’t even run 2000 watts of stuff on the same side of the panel even though it’s a 3500 watt genset.

I just feed both sides of my panel with the same 120 volt supply from an inverter genset. No 240 stuff can run and I can’t go too big on genset size because the neutral on the generator inlet circuit is only a single 10 gauge. I’m sure fbelec knows what I did and doesn’t like it!

My little inverter gensets make great quality, quiet, fuel efficient power for my whole house this way.

Reactions: fbelec
It’s even stupider… the 240 gen can only give 1750 to each side of your panel. So you can’t even run 2000 watts of stuff on the same side of the panel even though it’s a 3500 watt genset.

I just feed both sides of my panel with the same 120 volt supply from an inverter genset. No 240 stuff can run and I can’t go too big on genset size because the neutral on the generator inlet circuit is only a single 10 gauge. I’m sure fbelec knows what I did and doesn’t like it!

My little inverter gensets make great quality, quiet, fuel efficient power for my whole house this way.
we must be on a totally different wave length because i'm confused about your response.

i must not be clear of what i was asking. that's what i hate about blogs

A non inverter 3500 watt 240 volt genset can only give 1750 watts to each of the 120 volt legs. Your panel is divided into two legs, each is 120 volt that is out of phase. If you can’t understand this then you shouldn’t be working with electricity.

Maybe I didn’t understand your question. What exactly are you asking? Do you have an interlock or a transfer panel? You’ve said both.

i already have all the generators and i'm redoing my panel box. the 120v inverters are more wattage than the 240v one. also the inverters are clean power for electronics. i can get 4 circuits out of my transfer panel with the inverters which is enough to divide up 3600w through out the house. so other than power distribution and generator connection it really doesn't matter , does it?
have you turned everything on both inverters and load?

A non inverter 3500 watt 240 volt genset can only give 1750 watts to each of the 120 volt legs. Your panel is divided into two legs, each is 120 volt that is out of phase. If you can’t understand this then you shouldn’t be working with electricity.

Maybe I didn’t understand your question. What exactly are you asking? Do you have an interlock or a transfer panel? You’ve said both.
why did you throw that jab in? i know how panel boxes work. i guess i shouldn't of even posted on here. i'm fine with the 3600 watt 120v inverter feed to do the job. thanks for your input. just comprehend the question before slinging mud!

why did you throw that jab in? i know how panel boxes work. i guess i shouldn't of even posted on here. i'm fine with the 3600 watt 120v inverter feed to do the job. thanks for your input. just comprehend the question before slinging mud!
i might know more than you do. i was just asking a question.