25-PDV Shuts down after 30-45 minutes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nigelheadie

Hearth Supporter
Nov 30, 2009
md
Englander stove 25-PDV bought in 2002 and manufactured 2001. Last year the unit would not start. After examining the back I realised that the vacuum hose had melted so I ordered and replaced that part. Now the Unit runs through entire startup procedure and runs in normal run mode for an additional half hour sometimes more. It then goes into the shut down process but the control panel still has the green light over the on button glowing. From what I have determined after numerous times having the stove apart following the instructions given by Englander I have narrowed the problem down to either the vaccum switch being bad, the heat sensor sensing too high temperature or the control board malfunctioning. I have replaced the vaccum hose and have replaced the heat sensor wire. Is there any advice for fixing this problem or at least determining the exact root of the problem?

If it melted the vacuum tube then it is getting to hot . The first thing I would do is clean the heat exchanger ,and exhaust fan .

First try to eliminate the possibility that the distribution fan could be hung up or maybe not feel like it is running at normal speeds? The stove itself would would feel hotter than normal to the touch?

Your stove is likely plugged with ash... you need to get all the hidden areas of the stove cleaned of soot and ash... clean out any ash traps... use a leafblower on the suction side to clean out the stove (search leaf blower trick)...use a small hammer to tap on the inside of the firebox to loosen the ash... use a coathanger or long bottle brush to access the areas behined the ash traps...

krooser said:
Your stove is likely plugged with ash... you need to get all the hidden areas of the stove cleaned of soot and ash... clean out any ash traps... use a leafblower on the suction side to clean out the stove (search leaf blower trick)...use a small hammer to tap on the inside of the firebox to loosen the ash... use a coathanger or long bottle brush to access the areas behined the ash traps...

Yep...what he said! Dirty stove, IMO.

stove is "bumping" the over temp limit which stops fuel feed but doe not shut stove off imediately however if the unit takes too long to cool below the overheat limit and start feeding , the fire goes out and the unit then goes into shutdown check to see if the room fan is clear it would help keep the stove cool and below the overtemp limit

Status
Not open for further replies.