25-PUF vs BigE

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to Lowe's tonight and got a good look at this monster.. My BigE looks like its little brother compared to this. I really like the ash pan and the burn pot design which looks like it will catch all the pellets unlike my BigE.. The unit looks like it is very well built compared to my breckwell.. I would have bought it if I didn't have already purchased my Breckwell... Can anyone compare the two as far as what puts out more heat,noise etc.. The one thing that turned me off about it is the outside air kit is recommended. Is this necessary? my BigE runs fine without it.. There would be no way for me to run it because of the location of my hearth and venting..

One of our users is Mike, a senior management type at Englander, I have no experience with that stove, or any Englander products, but from what I've seen posted, I would say that Englander is one of the top outfits going for customer support. I would say that and the value for money are two of Englanders biggest advantages over some of the other brands.

Unfortunately, from everything Mike has said, the outside air kit is a requirement, no option about it.

Gooserider

Thanks for the reply.. I guess if the outside kit is required that's a no for me.. Im debating on getting rid of the BigE and going back to wood anyway. I have a quad pellet insert which I would keep.

I ran my BIG E my first year using room air , and last year I piped it to my unheated basement . I did not see any advantage from one to the other. Why don't you like your BIG E ? I understand the noise thing , but it is called a pellet furness , I think. Mine works well I haven't used my 35 year old forced air gas furness since I bought it.

lineament said:
I ran my BIG E my first year using room air , and last year I piped it to my unheated basement . I did not see any advantage from one to the other. Why don't you like your BIG E ? I understand the noise thing , but it is called a pellet furness , I think. Mine works well I haven't used my 35 year old forced air gas furness since I bought it.

I'm getting used to it. I just started burning my good pellets Ive been saving which helps when cleaning it every week.. The one thing that bothers me is the burn pot and shell needs to be placed closer to the feed drop. I get quite a few pellets that miss it and fall behind it.. I might grind down some of the fresh air intake on the burnpot shell which will bring the burn pot closer in.... Anytime I take the burnpot and shell assembly out there are alot of pellets underneath that have not been burnt. I replaced my wood stove with the BigE and just have to get used to it i guess. The wood stove put out alot more heat but the price of wood has sky rocketed in the past month from $60 to $85 and $100 a face cord split thats insane... Ive been using my furnace at night because we have to open up the upstairs which is where my daughters room is at and loose alot of heat in the lower part of the house which is understandable and just feel like it is a waste of pellets to let the unit burn all night just to heat the upstairs. So I'm going to try some of those small doorway fans hopefully they will help get some heat in my bedroom which is a 15 degree difference from the kitchen where my one pellet stove is.. Overall I'm happy I don't have to chop and split wood anymore but miss the BTu's I got from it, but between both of my pellet stoves Ive been warm and happy.. One thing I do like the high/low setting with the thermostat. I run it like that all the time what a great feature my quad insert doesn't have that which sucks...

There is a screw under the burn pot which changes the angle of the pot , maybe that will help catch some of the stray pellets. I don't have a lot that miss the burn pot , but some do . If I burn mine up on # 4 I can get my house real warm . In 20-30 degree weather I run mine on the 1-3 setting, last year when it was below zero I ran it on the 2-4 setting. My stove keeps my 600 sq ft first floor around 70- 72 in any weather on those settings. I run my ceiling fan in the room with the stove to spread the heat around.

buildingmaint said:
There is a screw under the burn pot which changes the angle of the pot , maybe that will help catch some of the stray pellets. I don't have a lot that miss the burn pot , but some do . If I burn mine up on # 4 I can get my house real warm . In 20-30 degree weather I run mine on the 1-3 setting, last year when it was below zero I ran it on the 2-4 setting. My stove keeps my 600 sq ft first floor around 70- 72 in any weather on those settings. I run my ceiling fan in the room with the stove to spread the heat around.

I'll try adjusting the screw again. Its not an excessive amount but my quadra fire I don't loose any... What setting do you use for the thermostat.. I always use the high/low setting. I just don't like the on/off setting takes to long to fire up and to actually blow heat..

Status
Not open for further replies.