$2500 Hudson River West Point Pellet Stove on craigslist for $500 ??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

This stove has the Hi/Lo Tstat feature for constant temp on cold winter days.

Is this a good deal?

http://nh.craigslist.org/app/2357378879.html

This was a hand me down from my Dad who was the original owner. I don't need it anymore, so it's up for grabs cheep.

It's auto ignition is burned out, there's a mark on the door from where a pellet bag melted to it, and the fan the feeds the fire could be a bit stronger, which is why I'm selling this $2,500 pellet stove for $500. Other than what I've mentioned the stove is in great shape, and has run for me all winter. Also has an oak base that you can take if you like.

If you're interested I can be reached by email, phone, or text... 603 965 6455 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 603 965 6455 end_of_the_skype_highlighting. Ask for Ryan.

Here's a link to the manual for more info... http://www.stovesandspas.com/pdf/westpoint_manual.pdf

I'm just trying to recoup some money for my dad, so the price is firm, no trades, cash only.
Also, I can help load it, but it's heavy as all-get-out, so bring some muscle.

Attachments

• HudsonRiver.jpg
    HudsonRiver.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 1,517
I have the same stove minus the thermostat. I paid $2,000 for it new. If it is in good shape and runs than I would say it is a good price.
It puts out a lot of heat, is easy to clean, and holds 3 bags of pellets. I had an issue with my burn pot not fitting quite right, but now it is fixed and runs great.

So are you looking for a new stove to replace you Astoria, or is this like that vent free thread where your just looking to start discussions?

This would be a Chinese model. I've seen a lot of Westpoints. Nearly all of them have had issues with the combustion motor casing making all kinds of loud sounds because it rattles loose. They had a lot of problems with the Chinese versions, though I think the Westpoint had fewer. Mostly they were all electrical problems. Replacing the entire wiring harness and another control board seemed to fix the issues, if in fact the stove was showing symptoms of weirdness.

The stove is NOW made by Enviro and is much much better. They also are making the Davenport with Enviro.

Additionally, many of the local dealers who were selling the Hudson River product have since stopped carrying it or supporting it because of the "issues" or have gone out of business. I'd check around to see who carries Hudson river in your neck of the woods. You may need to go through BAC Supply directly for support as they own the brand.

Franks said:
So are you looking for a new stove to replace you Astoria, or is this like that vent free thread where your just looking to start discussions?

Hello Franks

I like my Astoria. I was thinking about one for the garage and to fixup and maybe sell from my garage during a yard sale.

It sure seems like it is very hard to get a good deal and I certainly do not want one with a history of issues!

Thanks Scott

Seems like for the price of a used one you can add a little to it and grab an offseason englander brandy new. I'd stay away from the Hudson Rivers used stoves. I've known the Cohens and BAC for decades and still couldnt find it in my heart to take that line on.

Franks said:
Seems like for the price of a used one you can add a little to it and grab an offseason englander brandy new. I'd stay away from the Hudson Rivers used stoves. I've known the Cohens and BAC for decades and still couldnt find it in my heart to take that line on.

Hi Franks

I think we learned something here. You are absolutely right about grabbing an Englander off season or even a year or two old. Atleast the recent technology is there and you cannot do much better on the price.

Thanks again Franks

Another good thing about an older stove is that it isn't crammed full of Chinese trash.

hmm. a couple of years ago I went to house that had a Japanese pellet stove. It was a gravity fed cast iron thing an old timer brought back from WWII. It had a crank on it to free the coals at the bottom. and about a 100kg hopper. It had a date in the cast that read 24-12-39. No power needed, no kidding. It may have been a chip burner, not sure as it didn't say much else and there was of coarse no manual. :cheese:

Americans made these things first right?

Hello Scott

Very interesting Japan made stove, but since wood pellets were not invented back then, it must have been some other type of burner. Maybe they had wood chips back in 39. I though they do not have very much wood over there nowadays?

My daughter has an international student friend who went back to her home in Japan and her family uses a Kerosene stove in their house for heat today!

Woodchip Burner at Cooley Dickenson Hospital - This is cool!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsNocaPsvfE

You must carry this wood chip boiler Scott?
http://www.euroheat.co.uk/W/HDG/148/Wood-Chips-Boilers.htm

This remark by the seller: "feeds the fire could be a bit stronger"

Points to a need for a gasket for the burn pot.

Even Hudson River has given up on these units. If you check their site, They are no longer offering them. Wonder if it was mostly due to the size of them.

In the beginning they were rushed to market(due to the 2008 pellet stove rush) and these units were somewhat a nightmare. Hudson River has made progress on the issues AFAIK. A friend bought a Davenport and so far loves it. He purchased it in February of 2011, So its one of their latest offerings.

With pellets and stoves on the rise again. I'm betting you could turn this around for a fair profit!

j-takeman said:
Even Hudson River has given up on these units. If you check their site, They are no longer offering them. Wonder if it was mostly due to the size of them.

In the beginning they were rushed to market(due to the 2008 pellet stove rush) and these units were somewhat a nightmare. Hudson River has made progress on the issues AFAIK. A friend bought a Davenport and so far loves it. He purchased it in February of 2011, So its one of their latest offerings.

With pellets and stoves on the rise again. I'm betting you could turn this around for a fair profit!

this stove and the davenport are now made by Enviro

Saw a bio burner on IBURNCORN "others" section. Looked promising. Supposed to burn anything practically but I think it burns ALOT of anything.

Back last winter, I was thinking about getting into the stove business, and looked at the Hudson River stoves at the distributor here locally, was not impressed when I saw the MADE IN CHINA sticker on some models.

Its sad enough that jobs that need to stay in North America go overseas, but when the product comes back being JUNK it just make it a real slap in the face.

Craigslist is usually full of good stove deals along about late spring and summer.

You can likely pick up a used stove model that has a good reputation for real cheap if you watch the listings.

Snowy

Status
Not open for further replies.