28-4000 on a main floor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

TWilk117

Feeling the Heat
Dec 20, 2018
Mount Laurel, New Jersey
Considering/pondering installing the 28-4000 in my living room.

The benefits would be:
Less need to use the blower
No need to haul wood to the basement
Easier to check/ no early morning running to the basement before work with armfuls of wood.
Enjoy the ambient secondary burns without sitting in a dingy basement
3.5 CF epa fire box for 999$
Less chimney pipes equals less money
Can still have a flue for the boiler
Big and industrial looking

The cons:
Might over heat the main floor.
Cold damp basement
Vague floor protection
Big and industrial looking in my living room

I guess I can try it and move it to the basement if it doesn’t work out..

Why not just use a NC30 stove...$100 cheaper too...

Reactions: Highbeam
I wanted to do the furnace in the basement thing for a while, finally got one, than started to think different about it.
I’m indecisive. Thinking I don’t want to spend all my time in the basement. Would rather have it here in the living room. Hahahaha im a turd.
Also the 28-4000 is only 999 at HD right now and they are sold out of the 30.

Well, it will certainly heat the house that way, just need to make sure you meet proper clearance to combustibles...might have to watch for frozen water lines in the basement though too...

Well, it will certainly heat the house that way, just need to make sure you meet proper clearance to combustibles...might have to watch for frozen water lines in the basement though too...

Yes, frozen water lines...
I’m leaning towards the basement install again and nixing the boiler for its flue and abundance of copper.
I do have a nice little stove upstairs as it is.

Home owners insurance will not be happy if they find out you have no "automatic" heat...why not just put up a second flue for the 28-4000?

As for hauling wood in...can you pop a window out and make a wood chute? There are plenty of great ideas for ways of getting wood in the basement on this forum if you dig around a bit...

Yes I have been thinking about the clearances and it’s all pretty much easy peasie except for the floor protection. It is very vague in the manual. I’ll have to call ESW I guess when they are open or email them.

How in the world would the insurance company know?
If something happens and they can find a way to weasel out of paying a claim because you didn't report the new burner to them, or it was installed improperly, they will.
Also, if you ever need to find a new ins company, when shopping around they will ask a million questions and sometimes even want pics, or do an onsite inspection.
I just went through all that due to the ins. company that I've had all my life pricing themselves out of the running...I saved 33% by switching...and have better coverage now too.

If something happens and they can find a way to weasel out of paying a claim because you didn't report the new burner to them, or it was installed improperly, they will.
Also, if you ever need to find a new ins company, when shopping around they will ask a million questions and sometimes even want pics, or do an onsite inspection.
I just went through all that due to the ins. company that I've had all my life pricing themselves out of the running...I saved 33% by switching...and have better coverage now too.

Something to think about.

I more than likely am going to have licensed insured professional do the install.

My current insurance company has never came here once in almost 6 years. (Knocking on firewood.)

One electric space heater set to 65 degrees in the living room is “automatic heat...”
I doubt they would see it that way...portable electric heaters cause a lot of fires. Electric baseboard heat is about the minimum that you can get away with usually...

Reactions: TWilk117
I doubt they would see it that way...portable electric heaters cause a lot of fires. Electric baseboard heat is about the minimum that you can get away with usually...

I know that you are right.

It’s just stupid because they sell them everywhere and anyone can buy them.
Those radiant ones with the oil in them really work well. Just expensive to run all the time.

I know that you are right.

It’s just stupid because they sell them everywhere and anyone can buy them.
Those radiant ones with the oil in them really work well. Just expensive to run all the time.

Actually price out an in wall electric heater from a big box hardware store. The kind that you hardwire. They are cheap and with a silly little chunk of 12/2 romex can make much more heat on 240 than the portable electric heater which is limited to 1500 watts.

Reactions: TWilk117