-28 F Monday morning... ouch!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

TX-L

Burning Hunk
Hearth Supporter
Sep 1, 2010
Tug Hill State Forest, NY
I have 2 outdoor thermometers; the one on the side of the house was -26, and the remote reading sensor on the telephone pole indicated -28. As unfriendly as this may seem, the wood stove had the house comfortably in the mid-70s. Overnight themostat setting was about 2.25; fans on medium speed. And no need to get up and put wood in the stove. Could this MAYBE be due to the fact that I loaded 98 lbs of oak and hard maple in the firebox? Yeah, life is good!

You gave my jaw 2 or 3 reasons to drop here.

pen

I dont think Ive ever seen 28 below, dont want to either

TX-L said:
Could this MAYBE be due to the fact that I loaded 98 lbs of oak and hard maple in the firebox? Yeah, life is good!

I hope you give that wood hauling burro a little pat on the head for doing a good job. 98 lbs - Jeesh.

Yeah wasn't the temp that amazed me but the 98 lbs of fuel !!!!

I've seen -28 and much colder and have seen some stoves that could take 98 pounds of wood but not many! That is some serious stuff there unless that wood was not dry.

Dang thats cold. Heading to the Adirondack Mountains in NY this weekend where the low is going to be around -15. I thought that was cold. Stay warm.

TX-L said:
I loaded 98 lbs of oak and hard maple in the firebox?

98 lbs of wood? I think I can do that with three stoves...

shawneyboy said:
Yeah wasn't the temp that amazed me but the 98 lbs of fuel !!!!

I weighed each piece on a kitchen scale, so it's a real number, not a guesstimate. I could have placed another piece in the bottom front in an east-west position, but didn't feel it was necessary to reach/exceed 100 lbs.

That is some serious stuff there unless that wood was not dry.

It is dry. It was cut, split, and stacked in the spring of 2008, just put in the woodshed this September.

Dang thats cold. Heading to the Adirondack Mountains in NY this weekend where the low is going to be around -15. I thought that was cold. Stay warm.

Logger, the forecast temp for the previous Sunday night was -5 to -10, but it was in the -20s in lots of locations. This happens often, it sometimes gets 20 degrees colder than the forecast. This weekend is supposed to be -10 to -15, so we will see how that goes. Depending on your location in the Adirondacks this weekend, you may see close to or more than -30; hard to say. But the weather changes rapidly, that forecast could change a great deal in four days. The all time state record was -52 in Old Forge (Adirondacks) and a few other places. The coldest I've seen on a thermometer here is -42 or so, but that's an unusual event.

Status
Not open for further replies.