28 tn DHT Splitter?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lindnova

Feeling the Heat
Nov 15, 2013
SE Minnesota
I bought a Huskee 22 ton last year and it works great, no mechanical problems. I only wish it had a larger gas tank, quieter engine and a little more power. It has gotten thru anything I have thrown at it, but a lot of the elm I have been splitting gives it a workout. Many times it stops and would kill the engine if I didn't stop it. Then I have to either take a few runs at it or back out and find another spot on the piece to split. It spends a lot of time in the second stage.

Now I am eying the DHT 28 ton with a commercial Kohler 9.5 hp, 17 gpm pump and 4.5" cylinder that will be just as quick cycle as the Huskee, but should be much faster with less time in the second stage and hopefully not having to back out pieces. It only weighs 35 lbs more - weight and speed were the reasons I didn't buy a larger one before. Also, the

I could sell the Huskee - seems they go for near new price and then buy the DHT. I have seen some pretty rough old Huskees on Craigslist asking $800. Mine is just broken in and almost new. I figure with purchase, log catcher, 2 oil change, Hydraulic filter change and tax I have $1,090.00 into it. I think I could get $850 - $950 for it - ($150-200 for a year rental.) I did use it a lot last winter. The DHT 28 is $1700, and that seems like a good price for what you get.

I think all the rain and a sore back this weekend allowed me to think too much.

Now, what do you guys think? Am I crazy or is this justified?

If your asking price is close to the cost of a new 22-ton Huskee or DHT, then you wouldn't get me interested. For many, there is value in buying new with a full warranty, ability to return to store, and knowing with certainty that you aren't inheriting the previous owner's problem.

Some stores have been offering the new 22-ton DHT for ~$989.

Status
Not open for further replies.