It's like a new stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

NewGuy132

Feeling the Heat
Jan 22, 2021
Central MA
So I've had my fair share of issues over the past 2 seasons (this is my 3rd) getting to know the stove and just figuring out how it works. At the end of last season I was thinking that I something was up with my CAT. The temp would get up in to the 600-700's for about 15 minutes then drop down to 550 or so for the remainder of the burn. I was able to run the stove, but when I'd sweep my chimney every month (had a chimney fire my first year due to bad wood/burning practices) there was always a lot of creosote that came out seemingly no matter how I burned. Well I am a procrastinator so at the beginning of this season I ordered a replacement CAT. (As a side note the Intrepid takes the same CAT as the Dauntless. They only list them online for the Dauntless.)

Last night we finally had our first fire with the new CAT in. Wow what a difference. Once the STT hit 475 or so I closed the damper and watched the CAT temp climb. It slowed down around 700, but I knew that it was lit off at that point. At some point something shifted and it went up to 1050 or so. The CAT stayed in the 700-800's until the stove was down to just coals. Once the CAT hit 690 or so I put a single log on the coals and instantly closed the damper. I also didn't change the air settings so it was closed all the way. The cat went back up to about 850 or so and stayed there until I went to bed and it was just coals.

The stove did exactly what I expected it to do when I changed anything. This is how it is supposed to work. It also seemed like I got some more heat out of it. Now I would feel confident loading up the stove on coals and turning the air down and leaving it for the night/day. I would have loved to have run the stove today, but somehow MA is 50 + degrees out today and I'd have to open the windows.

Also a side note the CAT that came with my stove from VC was metal and the replacement is a ceramic.

So I've had my fair share of issues over the past 2 seasons (this is my 3rd) getting to know the stove and just figuring out how it works. At the end of last season I was thinking that I something was up with my CAT. The temp would get up in to the 600-700's for about 15 minutes then drop down to 550 or so for the remainder of the burn. I was able to run the stove, but when I'd sweep my chimney every month (had a chimney fire my first year due to bad wood/burning practices) there was always a lot of creosote that came out seemingly no matter how I burned. Well I am a procrastinator so at the beginning of this season I ordered a replacement CAT. (As a side note the Intrepid takes the same CAT as the Dauntless. They only list them online for the Dauntless.)

Last night we finally had our first fire with the new CAT in. Wow what a difference. Once the STT hit 475 or so I closed the damper and watched the CAT temp climb. It slowed down around 700, but I knew that it was lit off at that point. At some point something shifted and it went up to 1050 or so. The CAT stayed in the 700-800's until the stove was down to just coals. Once the CAT hit 690 or so I put a single log on the coals and instantly closed the damper. I also didn't change the air settings so it was closed all the way. The cat went back up to about 850 or so and stayed there until I went to bed and it was just coals.

The stove did exactly what I expected it to do when I changed anything. This is how it is supposed to work. It also seemed like I got some more heat out of it. Now I would feel confident loading up the stove on coals and turning the air down and leaving it for the night/day. I would have loved to have run the stove today, but somehow MA is 50 + degrees out today and I'd have to open the windows.

Also a side note the CAT that came with my stove from VC was metal and the replacement is a ceramic.
Where did you order your cat from? Mind mentioning the price? Im always price shopping.

Shoot, that's the best price I have seen yet! Im not paying another 253 bucks down the road. Thanks!

I have an Intrepid flexburn and I've never been able to find a ceramic cat for it, only the metal one. The Condar site that I saw only shows a metal one but that was a year ago or so. I'll have to re-check that. As far as I know the Dauntless has a different combuster than the Intrepid. Surprised the cat would be same.

Well I just checked the Codar site and as above they show a cat for the Dauntless but not the Intrepid oddly. Strange since the cat that came with the stove was a steel Condar cat. Only only cat I could find for the Intrepid flexburn was through Mountain View for $318 for a steel cat. Crazy high price. I'm going to do some measuring to see if it's the same size as the Dauntless ceramic one. Something doesn't sound right here.

Well I just checked the Codar site and as above they show a cat for the Dauntless but not the Intrepid oddly. Strange since the cat that came with the stove was a steel Condar cat. Only only cat I could find for the Intrepid flexburn was through Mountain View for $318 for a steel cat. Crazy high price. I'm going to do some measuring to see if it's the same size as the Dauntless ceramic one. Something doesn't sound right here.
The intrepid and dauntless are different sizes.

Okay then' that makes it more confusing to me as the OP says he bought a ceramic cat for a Dauntless and is using it in an Intrepid, no? I think the thickness is the same but I would think the dimensions otherwise would be different.

No, the dimentions of the duantless cat are 6.5x2.5x1in
Intrepid 6.6x2.5x2in
So will a duantless cat fit? It's slightly smaller, but I'd be worried about air gaps causing inefficiency

No, the dimentions of the duantless cat are 6.5x2.5x1in
Intrepid 6.6x2.5x2in
So will a duantless cat fit? It's slightly smaller, but I'd be worried about air gaps causing inefficiency
The intrepid Flexburn cat is o it 1 inch thick. I’ll put both of them next to each other and get some pictures later today. I emailed Condar and asked if they had one for the Intrepid and they said that people were just buying the one for the Dauntless and she gave me the measurements. I pulled mine out and they were the same.

So the steel cat is on the right on the side by side pictures and it is in the front of the straight on picture. As far as there maybe being a small air gap, have you removed your steel cat? Mine at least wasn’t tight fitting and kind of just sat there with space all around it. The ceramic car seems to fit the same way. At most it is 1/10th of an inch off.

IMG_7742.jpeg IMG_7740.jpeg IMG_7739.jpeg

That 2" thick cat I think is for the Intrepid II not the flexburn to my knowledge. They are different animals all together. Well I've learned something today. Even though a steel cat is supposedly a better performer than than ceramic, the price difference matters to me. About a $210 difference. And yeah, my steel cat fits in there loosely as well. Not supposed to have a gasket there.

Yes the 2 inch cat is for the older VC stoves. The Flexburn line uses 1 inch cats.

I might get a fire in tonight, but it’s still in the 40’s and I don’t want to have the house heat up too much.

Reactions: sargeott
The intrepid Flexburn cat is o it 1 inch thick. I’ll put both of them next to each other and get some pictures later today. I emailed Condar and asked if they had one for the Intrepid and they said that people were just buying the one for the Dauntless and she gave me the measurements. I pulled mine out and they were the same.
Interesting. The condar website shows the dimentions I posted.