Dutchwest - New Cat and Refractory Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Drew777

Dec 7, 2023
Northeast, PA
Rebuilding a Dutchwest and bought a new cat and refractory. The new refractory hugs the cat and doesn't fully rest on the inner top plate - it has three posts that rest on the cat. Then there's close to 1/4" gap between the bottom of the refractory and the inner top plate - it's floating. Is that how it's supposed to be?? Pics below, highlighted the gaps if anyone wasn't sure exactly what I'm talking about.
History - I got the stove when it was like 10 years old it came with the house. The original refractory was always kind of beat up so I'm not sure how it fit when it was new. I also threw it away with the old cat. But I remember the old refractory sitting flush on the inner top plate 🤔.
The new refractory has a Vermont Castings label on the box, seems legit. The cat is a Condar, it measures 2" thick. Is that the same as an oem VC cat? Was thinking maybe that was the issue.
Think it's alright for the refractory to rest on the cat and float like that? Maybe I should trim those posts down so it sits on the inner top?
Any replies appreciated.
IMG_20240302_212806_HDR~2.jpgIMG_20240302_213216_HDR~2.jpgIMG_20240302_213237_HDR~2.jpgIMG_20240302_212926_HDR.jpgIMG_20240302_212823_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Everything telling me that the original cat was also 2". Does anyone think I should cut those posts down like 1/4"? I wish someone could chime in that installed a new refractory in one of these before. I'm thinking it doesn't make much of a difference because the purpose of the refractory is so the top doesn't overheat and warp?

Everything telling me that the original cat was also 2". Does anyone think I should cut those posts down like 1/4"? I wish someone could chime in that installed a new refractory in one of these before. I'm thinking it doesn't make much of a difference because the purpose of the refractory is so the top doesn't overheat and warp?
I would be worried that trimming them down would restrict the flow out of the cat to much

I was thinking the same thing but it's just a quarter inch. Either way, having the gap across the whole bottom shouldn't affect anything, I don't think it needs some sort of tight seal. And over time it will likely disintegrate on it's own I'm thinking, to where it eventually sits on the bottom anyway.

Last edited: