My VC Dauntless and I have a cozy relationship now....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

a59cheffy

Jan 18, 2023
Coos Bay, OR
This is my second season with my VC Dauntless.

The first season was a bit rocky. Most of it user error with a little bit of poor advice.
I was told I really didn't need the catalytic combustor package as it didn't really improve the efficiency that much. I tried burning often with the bypass closed hovering around 350 degrees. Closed the air control halfway thinking the rolling flame was good. Boy, did I learn my lesson! Chimney fire after 4 months of use! Stopped using it for a few weeks. Cleaned the chimney, had it inspected, cleaned up the Dauntless and searched for information. Found you good folks! Realized that I was not burning hot enough. And don't close the air control or the bypass without the cat installed. Wood moisture content is the key!

Second season is warm and cozy! Bought a cat from Condor and an AT100 digital gauge and probe. (Had to buy the performance package from VC, they don't sell the hardware separately to install the probe. ah well, have an extra cat now.) Cat and probe are installed. Wood is checked with a meter! Not stingy with the air intake. Keeping the stove in operating temperatures. Life is good! The Dauntless runs as advertised! And I don't have to baby sit it so much anymore!

So a big thanks to all that helped me!

Reactions: sargeott
Glad to hear is working out for you.. The wood is so important.. are you processing it yourself.. and how far ahead are you

So just out of Curiosity is your stovepipe a straight shot up..
Thank you for helping me out with this stove!

Luckily the first season we were gifted two cords of split seasoned wood from our neighbor who was moving. Also purchased a couple of cords from a local kid. Split that myself and stored it for future use.

Last September before our second season I went to a local mill owner who also does firewood as a side gig. Oak, Myrtle and Doug Fir. 18" length and split. Logs are stored for 6 months to a year before they cut. Then stored in huge lumber sheds. I have a half cord of Oak and Myrtle stored. Just picked up a half cord of Doug Fir a couple of weeks ago. Should have done this last year! It's borderline seasoned. Oak is around 23%, Myrtle is 19-21%, Doug Fir is 18-21%.

Didn't know how much wood this stove will burn. Will have to make a few more trips and put up a few cords to dry. Which is a challenge given the coast of Oregon!

My pipe is mostly straight up. Just one slight angle 4' above the stove. Then straight to the cap. Total length is aprox. 16'.
20230205_142641 - Copy.jpg

This is my second season with my VC Dauntless.

The first season was a bit rocky. Most of it user error with a little bit of poor advice.
I was told I really didn't need the catalytic combustor package as it didn't really improve the efficiency that much. I tried burning often with the bypass closed hovering around 350 degrees. Closed the air control halfway thinking the rolling flame was good. Boy, did I learn my lesson! Chimney fire after 4 months of use! Stopped using it for a few weeks. Cleaned the chimney, had it inspected, cleaned up the Dauntless and searched for information. Found you good folks! Realized that I was not burning hot enough. And don't close the air control or the bypass without the cat installed. Wood moisture content is the key!

Second season is warm and cozy! Bought a cat from Condor and an AT100 digital gauge and probe. (Had to buy the performance package from VC, they don't sell the hardware separately to install the probe. ah well, have an extra cat now.) Cat and probe are installed. Wood is checked with a meter! Not stingy with the air intake. Keeping the stove in operating temperatures. Life is good! The Dauntless runs as advertised! And I don't have to baby sit it so much anymore!

So a big thanks to all that helped me!
Did you need to buy the VC catalytic with thermometer kit to be able to install the AT100 probe?

Did you need to buy the VC catalytic with thermometer kit to be able to install the AT100 probe?
I bought the kit but only used the cat. I had to fabricate a bracket to install the probe. Keep in mind the AT100 probe and the VC thermometer probe aren't the same size diameter when you drill the hole.

IMG_0839.jpeg

Reactions: Hbob
There is a part that Vermont Castings (Hearth & Home Technologies) does not sell separately. The probe duct...it's the small rectangular tube that installs through the knockout. Unfortunately Hearth & Home only has it included with the performance package. So a 2.5 inch piece of metal cost me $256. Wanted a back up combustor anyhoo......

I am sure you can live with out the probe duct, but I wasn't sure if it was a good idea to have heated air circulating around the base of the probe. VC designed it for a reason.

There is a part that Vermont Castings (Hearth & Home Technologies) does not sell separately. The probe duct...it's the small rectangular tube that installs through the knockout. Unfortunately Hearth & Home only has it included with the performance package. So a 2.5 inch piece of metal cost me $256. Wanted a back up combustor anyhoo......

I am sure you can live with out the probe duct, but I wasn't sure if it was a good idea to have heated air circulating around the base of the probe. VC designed it for a reason.
Is the part you describe fill in the opening shown in the photo by Catesy above? Are they not using the probe duct?

Is the part you describe fill in the opening shown in the photo by Catesy above? Are they not using the probe duct?
Yes it does...the part itself is only included with the performance package. I tried a couple of times with H&HT customer service. And they staunchly do not sell to end users.

here is a video showing the stock probe install...you can see the duct installed with the probe bracket attached.

@Hbob
Keep in mind since you're living in the coastal range....
The winter weather we get from off shore systems bring in moisture that contains salt. That will corrode your stove interior faster than what most people see.
My suggestion,
Let it sit all late spring and summer in the air to dry and season, then cover it very very well in the wet months.
As a fellow native Orgonian you know what I mean about the wet months.
Salt on your wood will kill these stoves faaaast

@Hbob
Keep in mind since you're living in the coastal range....
The winter weather we get from off shore systems bring in moisture that contains salt. That will corrode your stove interior faster than what most people see.
My suggestion,
Let it sit all late spring and summer in the air to dry and season, then cover it very very well in the wet months.
As a fellow native Orgonian you know what I mean about the wet months.
Salt on your wood will kill these stoves faaaast
We are actually on salt waterfront. Currently using a VC Encore 30+ years old with no signs of corrosion/rust. Our wood is stored where it cannot get salt spray. The big thing is never burn wood that was floated on salt water like driftwood or from logging operations that deliver via floating log rafts. Most of that wood goes to mills, so not a real danger of getting it as firewood. I have seen what driftwood can do to a chainsaw!