-29 F

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

syd3006

Jan 20, 2008
Northwestern Ontario
Got up this morning and the thermometer said 29 degrees below zero Fahrenheit!!! I cannot remember weather this cold in March in my lifetime. I live 10 minutes west of Fort Frances which is on the U.S. border. International Falls which is on the U.S. side of the border with Fort Frances is nicknamed "The Icebox of the Nation". Its nice to have a wood-stove and a full wood-box on mornings like this.

Here in MA, we don't often see temps go below 0 F. How do people who heat with oil survive in a climate where it's getting to -30 F or even lower? At those temperatures, we'd spend every last penny just to keep feeding oil into the furnace. I know what it's like to live in those cold temps, we spent 6 years in Minneapolis, and that's warm compared to International Falls!!!

That is cold brother.

Here in central Ohio it might get down to zero.

I love going out after putting a fresh load of wood on and looking up at the chimney smoke/steam - it lingers for a long distance. Then again so do all the neighbors with natural gas.

Syd3006 how about a picture from outside of the chimney after a fresh load of wood in that cold weather?

In Verndale, MN I am basking in a heatwave of -26.

My poor little Drolet couldn't even keep the basement above 65 going above 600, those blocks sure do wick the heat.

The PRO-PAIN furnace was running constantly.

Looks like it is time to get a bigger stove and contact the contractor again to insulate and seal that basement.

It's funny. This morning we have 19 degrees and 150 miles from us it is below zero. Hurry Spring!!!!

MishMouse-

Beautiful avatar!

Bob

Once we get to single digits, I expect the stove not to handle the early morning hours. The furnace did go on a few days that were beyond the expected 10 plus. You (read me) expect the furnace to go on, but I hate hearing it. We're making due with as little oil as I can, but love the fact that neighbors are using tons more. I've talked to people who are buying 150 gal a month. I purchased oil early August, just had to buy oil the other day (bought 187) and they were going to make us give a credit card till my wife said we have a wood stove. The guy said "wow, you are lucky", we won't charge you and just leave a check. They thought we were buying around to the best price (we did, just today). I love wood, how can people not want to give a few hours of work to save money is beyond me as everyone on this site. It can only save money even if you have to buy the wood.
My feel go for myself post for today.
Chad

Status
Not open for further replies.