2nd 100F+ Day

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jebatty

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jan 1, 2008
Northern MN
Early morning outside temp was -31F. Inside temp 71F. A 102F day, with a 105F day a few days ago. Cold forecast continues. Yea for winter in northern MN! Bright and sunny today - solar PV should do well. Wood stove in house has been on 24/7 duty for over a week now.

Nice, Im green with envy. The only way I could do a 100+ deg delta is if I lit my log cabin on fire. I bet my wife would still wrap herself in blankets.

We are currently at an 85 degree difference. 80 in my cabin and -5 outside. I'm in northern Michigan at the 45 parallel.

Northern Minnesota, huh? I love it up there. I am from Atlanta, I drove up to Ely about 9 times, over the years, to go camping in the Quetico. Always went in September. Canoe camping, I loved it in the north woods.
One year drove up to Ely in January to check out the scene. I saw a guy ice fishing, he had his pickup truck parked out on the lake, about 300 feet from shore!

That was really wild I had never seen that. I saw where he had driven out there, from a boat ramp, and I drove out there in my pickup, man, that just didn't seem right, to drive out onto a lake, I thought I must die, or lightning would strike me if I drove a pickup out onto a lake, but I did it without incident. Scary for a Georgia boy.

In my travels through Minnesota I went through Bemidji several times and I really liked that town. I decided I would move to Bemidji, build a log cabin and get a Finnish Fireplace.
The fiancee, also from Atlanta, said "Have fun. Be sure to send me a Christmas card." She did not want to move to Minnesota.

Well I made it as far north as the North Carolina mountains so we do get some snow and cold weather, low of 7 degrees tonight.
I haven't been to Minnesota in 15 years and I miss it, gotta get back up there for a visit.

Geesh.... And I thought my 80 degree difference was good when I push my Madison lol. [emoji23][emoji23]

We are in the single digits with windchill in maryland at night and I keep the house 75-80 ish. I can push to 90 but then I get a ton of coaling so I find it best to maintain a slightly lower temp.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Northern Minnesota, huh? I love it up there. I am from Atlanta, I drove up to Ely about 9 times, over the years, to go camping in the Quetico. Always went in September. Canoe camping, I loved it in the north woods.
One year drove up to Ely in January to check out the scene. I saw a guy ice fishing, he had his pickup truck parked out on the lake, about 300 feet from shore!

That was really wild I had never seen that. I saw where he had driven out there, from a boat ramp, and I drove out there in my pickup, man, that just didn't seem right, to drive out onto a lake, I thought I must die, or lightning would strike me if I drove a pickup out onto a lake, but I did it without incident. Scary for a Georgia boy.

In my travels through Minnesota I went through Bemidji several times and I really liked that town. I decided I would move to Bemidji, build a log cabin and get a Finnish Fireplace.
The fiancee, also from Atlanta, said "Have fun. Be sure to send me a Christmas card." She did not want to move to Minnesota.

Well I made it as far north as the North Carolina mountains so we do get some snow and cold weather, low of 7 degrees tonight.
I haven't been to Minnesota in 15 years and I miss it, gotta get back up there for a visit.

You should see some lakes in the dead of winter . . . all kinds of ice fishing shacks set up, pick ups, snowmobiles and ATVs all parked out there.

Me . . . I still am leery of being out on the ice. When sledding I always cruise across a lake as fast as I safely can do so.

Ice fishing is a big deal in MN. In mid to late Feb one big event, among several others, is the Eelpout Festival in Walker, MN. This year dates are Feb 22-26. Ice conditions should be very good due to the extremely cold weather. Northern MN lakes often have plowed ice roads, some even have stop signs. Fun to chop a hole in the ice and take a dip.

memberimage.jpg

dsc03192.jpg

Reactions: Stinkpickle
Good God! Minnesota Yankees go swimming in a frozen lake in February? Call me a Southern Wimp, but that is insane!

One thing that stood out to me in all my travels across Minnesota, was all the Finnish names on the mailboxes. Lots of immigrants from Finland up there, I bet they feel right at home.

By the way, other than wood stoves, what type of central heat do y'all use up there in northern Minnesota? Is it fuel oil or natural gas furnaces, or what?

Last edited:
Nice, Im green with envy. The only way I could do a 100+ deg delta is if I lit my log cabin on fire. I bet my wife would still wrap herself in blankets.
Too funny

"The fiancee, also from Atlanta, said "Have fun. Be sure to send me a Christmas card." She did not want to move to Minnesota."

Marry that woman quickly... sounds like she'll save you from a lot of trouble in life...