2nd fire, & it's August.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bogydave

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 4, 2009
So Cent ALASKA
Wanted to paint the basement floor around the stove. Etched the concrete & started a fire to dry it out before painting.
A few days of rain, 40s at night, barely 50 today. Made another fire to be warm enough to dry the paint.
Loaded the stove with 2nd's, painted & using a fan on the firewood hatch to vent out the fumes.

Fire in August :bug:

I guess it's better than in the 90s with no air conditioning :)

Wet paint:

Attachments

• 100_6579.jpg
    100_6579.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 571
Supposed to be in teh upper 60s later this week they are saying. Maybe I will be able to get my darn grass cut!

The grass won't grow to much up there from now on I suspect. We're supposed to get down to about 50 tonight and it's been a while since we were that low. Sort of reminds us that fall is not too far away.

Backwoods Savage said:
The grass won't grow to much up there from now on I suspect. We're supposed to get down to about 50 tonight and it's been a while since we were that low. Sort of reminds us that fall is not too far away.
50's here tonight too. Today was beautiful. I was really sick of the hot weather. I got some walking in today. I think it really helps the healing back, but its been hard with the hot weather.

Steve, I was just thinking of you and about to send you a message. Good to hear you got the good weather too and out walking. This says the new brace is better too. Good for you. My day didn't go so well. Went to PT and then to massage then a whole bunch of running around. Didn't even get in a bike ride. I plan on fixing that tomorrow.

SUNSHINE today ;-P. well mostly sunny anyway & it quit raining.
60° this afternoon. Heat wave.
Floor dry but still curing (polly urethane)
Was raining this am so was able to start another fire.
Fan blowing over the stove & down onto the floor today. wood hatch open for vapors to escape.
For now, the house generates enough heat we don't need a fire, may use the furnace to take the AM chill off. Stove overheats the house too much.

Dennis,
you are right. We could get frost in the next 2 weeks. Moose season in 2 weeks so some cool weather is good.
We already had a 38 degree night.
"Termination dust" on the mountains around me here, a little early but usually get it by late August sometime.
40s at night for sure if it stays clear.

bogydave, I'd love to come up sometime for moose season. Not sure it will happen though.

As I tell all my lower 48 friends, just give me a call before you pull in my driveway and the bed in the spare room will be ready.

As far as the grass, I swear I can actually see it grow. I cut it yesterday while it was all wet, couldn't chance waiting for it to dry out, last time I did that we got 4 days of rain!

I do hate this part of the year though. Days are getting shorter and colder and it's when I realize, oh crap... that LONG list of summer to-dos isn't even 1/2 done!

I hear you Nate about the to-do lists. And the grass at this time of year normally does not need mowing but we've had some pretty good rains in the last 2 weeks now so it will be mowed.

Good for you for keeping a spare room for friends. And we really do hope we can get back up there some day; just don't know if it is possible.

38°f here last night. It cleared up after a partly cloudy day, a few of those & frost on the pumpkins.
Sunny day, grass will grow today, still getting long days. Weather shift this time of the year, several Low pressure areas moving thru, pulling in cool air, being wet it cools down even more.
They were going to the PNW 3 weeks ago, jet stream change. our warning that Fall is starting.

"To do list" LOL. :) like congress, we wait until is "must" be done, then we get to it. Threw my list away a few years ago, never worked anyway, always had more to do.

Nate, Dec- Jan & Feb are the dark months, I don't hate them, but are my 2nd least favorite.
I do hate "break-up" though, the 1st 3 weeks in April, my least favorite time, "cabin fever" hits hard.

Now (August) & thru Sept; silvers are running, garden is going into the freezer, hunting season close (sheep season started already),
brisk cool mornings, blue berries are ripe, State Fair, camping, need a fire in the stove every now & then, "busy busy" time for sure, But I LOVE it. Still lots of daylight & cool
in the AM & night, warm days. Favorite time of the year for me.
I know I'm nuts, but I sure do love this time of the year.

Stop please! We are just south of you in WA. I told the neighbor today we're within 8 weeks of burning season. My usual start is the 15th of September. I can't wait on one hand but I have many outdoor jobs to do before fall.

Got down to 28 the night before last wont be long before we are far below zero!

RNLA said:
Stop please! We are just south of you in WA. I told the neighbor today we're within 8 weeks of burning season. My usual start is the 15th of September. I can't wait on one hand but I have many outdoor jobs to do before fall.

Right, 8 weeks makes it mid-Oct.. Don't rush it.

Hit 74* today. Did some errands in the evening and I had the A/C in the car going cause I was getting all sweaty.

Dave, I forget where you live exactly (So Cent AK is a LARGE area!), but 28* is brrrr for this time of the year!!. I don't think it has gotten colder than low 40s at my place so far.

Hey, for you folks in the Pacific NW, it appears a heat wave is coming towards you now. Maybe you will get to use the air conditioners after all.

My truck has AC. I did use it once. ;-P

Northern MI is pretty much like that. We never had AC even in the vehicle. Boy, we paid dearly for that one time though. I'll never forget crossing the salt flats west of Salt Lake City. The temperature just west of the salt flats that day was 116. We thought we must be in Hell for sure.

Ha, some of the higher end homes have AC here but most do not. I wonder what they are going to call a heat wave. It can only help the wood get dryer. I am going to try to hold out as long as I can before the first light up....

ac is for the lower 48 people, i dont use mine either, but anyhow it was 42F last night.

bogydave said:
40s at night, barely 50 today.
Fire in August :bug:
I guess it's better than in the 90s with no air conditioning :)
I'd rather have a sweaty butt than cold feet. If I can't wear shorts, flip-flops and no shirt, it's not warm enough! :coolsmirk:
I have enjoyed the break over the last few days, though. Low to mid-80s with humidity around 40% in the afternoon. If I listen carefully, I can hear my wood checking.
:)
Got another 3/4 cord Red Maple and Ash stacked for the last in-law I have to supply, and hauled 1/2 cord+ of rounds over there today...some really clean dead standing Ash. I'll let her split that easy stuff. :)

We've had a great summer here. Some days it was in the 70's. Today was around 70. Fall just starting & it's been great so far too.
I still just love this time of the year. Caught 4 cohos this evening (Granddaughter caught 2 of them) & saw a bear. Several fish rolling. Still fighting mosquitoes though.
4 more silvers & we'll be smoking up some salmon. Maybe tomorrow.

My body forgot how to sweat, I would be useless (or dead) above 80°f. :)

Paint dry now, arranging the stove area better, more clearance & found some stuff we've hadn't used for years & don't need so we have more space. Room for the tread-mill & teeter hang-up. May teach the body to sweat on the tread mill this winter in a 74° basement, & hang upside down to help the back.

Status
Not open for further replies.