Planning to install a wood stove.. But what? How? And where?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dustin92

Nov 11, 2012
Jackson, MI, USA
Where to start, where to start.. This could get LONG. I made a post last year about this time, looking for advice on wood vs pellet, pros and cons of each.. Well, this past February we went 6 days without power after an ice storm, our only reliable heat source being a portable propane heater.. Not to mention the generator dying twice on me and basically being at my wits end and freezing for nearly a week. Temps in the 40's and 50's. INSIDE. We had planned on installing a pellet stove but funds ran out and it never happened. After the week without power I want a wood stove. I want reliable heat that doesn't rely on electricity if the s.h.t.f.

Anyway, same drafty 1500 sq ft farmhouse in a corn field in Michigan, new plan. I've done a little more work to the house as expected, just discovered that the previous owners installed a new laminate floor over one of the cold air returns, so that needs addressing yet.. One day at a time..

I've never bought or had a wood stove installed, I do know I won't be doing the install! But should I just go to a local stove and fireplace shop, take a look at my options and have them do the install? I'm just imagining needing to install some kind of hearth, saw some holes for the chimney and drop the pipes down etc but I know there's more to it than that.. Trying to stay within "code" or whatever I need to comply with for homeowners insurance, can I just buy a stove and have someone handy install as long as they follow clearances and hearth requirements? Do we need to pull permits or would the installer need to? Sorry to sound so clueless, I promise I know how to build a fire and no I'm not going to burn the house down!

Placement.. I know it's going to be in the main living/dining room on the 1st floor, but we have a couple options.. Or do we? NW corner of the room, middle of the North wall, or SE corner? There is an old chimney that once served the basement which would be accessible from the SE corner but I have no idea what condition it's in. Chimney once served a wood furnace and oil furnace.. Both long since gone and disconnected. Otherwise the chimney would need to either be externally mounted on the house, or extend up through the 2nd floor and roof.. Not sure if either of those are options, or which is the better option?

STOVE.. What kind/size of stove do I need? I know I don't want a catalytic style stove but one with secondary burn tubes, and I want a glass window to see the fire. Nothing too big, but I want to be able to properly heat the house.. 1500 sq ft, drafty, so say closer to 2000 sq ft? What kind of footprint/hearth footprint should I be planning for? I don't need a fancy ornate cast iron or soapstone stove, it's an old farmhouse. I don't want to spend a mint, but I want a decent stove that's not going to fall apart or burn the house down.. Again following whatever I need to to please insurance (state farm)

Wood? I have a covered, open ended steel barn out back I'm figuring on stacking wood in, and putting a firewood ring on the front porch.. Haul in only what we need for the stove as I DON'T want bugs in the house.. But how much wood should I plan on getting? How much should I pay for cut/split/dry wood? I do have a small wood pile of DRY old wood to get started, figure it might last a few days to a week. Definitely not enough but a starting point.

Anything else I'm missing?? We have heated with wood in the past, so we know how to build a fire/run a stove, but I'd appreciate any advice!

I’d get more wood put up now. It takes time to dry. Sometimes years. I don’t think you plan to heat full time with wood, but people often get hooked on it. Start with 2 cords, 1 for next year, 1 for the year after that. You’ll know if you’re going to need more by the time you get done with that first cord.

Is there any way to fix some of that draftyness? That’s often the most cost effective upgrade on the house.

Reactions: kborndale
It would be cheaper to line the existing chin if possible. You need you know what size it is. And if it’s in condition to accommodate a liner.

Reactions: Dustin92
I’d have that old chimney inspected and see if you’re able to drop an insulated liner down it and tap into it on your main floor. It would be much cheaper than a new chimney.

I’d get more wood put up now. It takes time to dry. Sometimes years. I don’t think you plan to heat full time with wood, but people often get hooked on it. Start with 2 cords, 1 for next year, 1 for the year after that. You’ll know if you’re going to need more by the time you get done with that first cord.

Is there any way to fix some of that draftyness? That’s often the most cost effective upgrade on the house.
I plan on getting more wood at the time I have the stove installed, plans are subject to change at any time and I don't need to end up with a bunch of wood and no stove to burn it in 😅 I know it's not ideal but there is a huge firewood lot not far from me and looks like they have decent wood.. Been selling wood 10+ years anyway. How much should I be paying for a cord of wood, cut split and delivered? I see "free wood" piles regularly on my way to work, I'll start filling up my car when I see one!

Draftyness- yes, slowly working on that, I'm getting plastic on windows and I need to repair a couple basement windows.. Otherwise, it's a 100 year old house that's been poorly added onto a few times, remodeled at least once, and appears to have had new windows sometime in the 50's or 60's. Few "new" windows on the 1st floor but the rest are single pane with storm windows. Insulation is poor at best, but can't tell how bad without cutting walls or ceilings. Hence wanting a "cheap" heat source, we're basically heating the outside. We do have a 2 year old high efficiency propane furnace, but it cycles far too often and we want to cut down on propane usage.

I’d have that old chimney inspected and see if you’re able to drop an insulated liner down it and tap into it on your main floor. It would be much cheaper than a new chimney.
Would a local fireplace/stove/chimney company be able to do that? I'm not much of a handyman myself.

You might want to check to see if you can get an EPA rated stove. You get a 30% Tax Credit on Materials and Labor which can help with the cost.

You might want to check to see if you can get an EPA rated stove. You get a 30% Tax Credit on Materials and Labor which can help with the cost.
Do you know anything else about the tax credit? Any EPA rated stove? Definitely interested in saving money any way possible!

Start with https://www.epa.gov/burnwise/frequent-questions-about-wood-burning-appliances and https://www.epa.gov/burnwise/epa-certified-wood-stoves. Watch for price differences between stoves that qualify for the tax credit and those that don't. Note that the credit is 30%, but it has a $2000/per year cap.
I guess what I'm asking is how do I know which stoves are eligible for the tax credit, and how do I apply for it? I can't seem to find much of anything on it.

That link for epa certified stoves has the list. You apply for the credit on your Tax Return

OP, just a FYI...in these changing times, consider checking with your agent/homeowner's insurance company:
- Some companies have underwriting requirements regarding install clearances and these specs may be different (further away from combustibles) than what the stove manufacturer specifies.
- Installing a stove and not informing the insurance company may result in denial of a future claim for failing to notify them of the 'increased hazard' that changes the 'risk'.
- Some insurance companies require a professional installer and will not accept self-installed stoves.
- Some insurance companies require an annual inspection and cleaning by a professional regardless of whether the stove was used extensively, and they may require proof (receipt) showing this was completed (and the insurance company will occasionally verify it was done with the chimney sweep).
- Of course, your premiums will likely increase once a stove is installed.

Fortunately, the underwriting requirements (if any) can vary between insurance companies and if needed, you will likely be able to shop around and find insurance companies that are stove-friendly.

Last edited:
Definitely make sure to check with your home owners insurance what their policy is on stoves. This is extremely important. Mine is fairly stove friendly their only requirement was that it be installed by a licensed professional and pass a local building inspection. It didn't even increase my premium. I have all that documented and on file with them so if God forbid the worst happens I know I've got my ducks in a row.

I checked with Mine and they said no problem. Wood stoves are safer than open fireplaces. So putting an Insert really should not affect your rates. However, every company is different. They just said to notify them once it is installed. Keep in mind if you get hit by something else like a tornado, you want them to replace that unit.

The issue isn't the stove itself it's who did the install. Be sure to ask if it will be covered if you DIY if that's your plan. My insurance required it be professionally installed. I also keep receipts from my annual sweeps as another lawyer of security just in case I ever need to make a claim. The last thing you want is a chimney fire due to a defect in something and they reject your claim blaming your DIY work. Just be extra sure!