Installing wood stove into existing fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Brisby612

Dec 31, 2023
Murfreesboro, TN
We have a Quadrafire isle royale we are looking to install in a fireplace remodel. The chimney is in good shape and has no liner. We plan on running the exhaust up the chimney to the chimney cap. Here’s the question. What do we need to have to make that happen? It’s 16’ up from the top of stove to the chimney cap. We need two angles to get the pipe centered to run up the chimney while the wood burner sits back in the fireplace. Do we use insulated stove pipe or chimney pipe. It requires 6” which will fit all the way up the chimney. Thank you!

You should use insulated liner. What is the size inside the chimney? The more turns/angles you have to feed the liner down/up, the more challenging it is. The 16’ though should be fairly easy as that is not a tall chimney.

Reactions: Brisby612
You should use insulated liner. What is the size inside the chimney? The more turns/angles you have to feed the liner down/up, the more challenging it is. The 16’ though should be fairly easy as that is not a tall chimney.
The inside of the chimney is 12” at its leanest. There are no turns other than at the stove as I want it to sit 8-10” further back than the chimney is so it doesn’t stick out of the fire place very much. So it would be two turns just to get the pipe lined up with the chimney.
So you would just run a chimney liner down the chimney and connect the pipe to the liner? Would the airflow be right?

Not to sound like a downer here, but whats the benefit of taking a steel radiant stove and shoving it into a masonry fire box were the heat made will not be able to escape effectively?

but to anser the question, insulated 6" liner to a stainless steel 30deg adapter connected to the stove collar

Reactions: Brisby612
I'd sell the stove and buy an insert which is made for that application, you'll be much happier in the long run.

Ok! Thank you for the input! Is the installation similar, if you know.
More then likely, probably easier, on most inserts the actual stove collar is angled because the engineers realize connections from a liner to stove top will require a slight bend, you can also use a terminator that securely connects a flex chimney liner that connects from inside the stove when you take the removable baffle out, makes life way easier, what ever you choose, make sure that the liner connection is made with a stainless steel adapter and not black pipe which will rot out.

Not to sound like a downer here, but whats the benefit of taking a steel radiant stove and shoving it into a masonry fire box were the heat made will not be able to escape effectively?
It's a cast iron stove, but definitely strongly radiant.

While this may not be the most efficient, it can be helped. A block-off plate in the damper area is essential. A fan blowing into the fireplace cavity at an angle will help a lot to distribute heat.

Is this an interior or exterior wall fireplace? Is it tall enough? Can you post a picture of the fireplace?

It's a cast iron stove, but definitely strongly radiant.

While this may not be the most efficient, it can be helped. A block-off plate in the damper area is essential. A fan blowing into the fireplace cavity at an angle will help a lot to distribute heat.

Is this an interior or exterior wall fireplace? Is it tall enough? Can you post a picture of the fireplace?
Yes. I will. It’s 34” from base to the top of the fire place opening. It is an interior fireplace. It’s a mess right now but working to get it ready. It opens to a room but there’s a room behind it and an opening that leads to that room on either side of what you can see here.

73D4122A-1363-4B50-BB77-964A417D0465.jpeg

An interior fireplace will work better for this type of installation than an exterior wall because the heat radiated will stay within the building envelope. One caveat is that the top loading feature will not be useable. Is front loading only ok?

How large of an area will the stove be heating? The Isle Royale is a really nice stove. If it's still in great condition then using it will save a few thousand on the installation. Moderator @Jags has one and may be helpful if there are stove specific questions.

An interior fireplace will work better for this type of installation than an exterior wall because the heat radiated will stay within the building envelope. One caveat is that the top loading feature will not be useable. Is front loading only ok?

How large of an area will the stove be heating? The Isle Royale is a really nice stove. If it's still in great condition then using it will save a few thousand on the installation. Moderator @Jags has one and may be helpful if there are stove specific questions.
I am not sure when you front load vs top load. Both sides open. It’s in great condition. We made the measurements so there is room to open and get things in the top if need be. Maybe I’m remembering measurements wrong but we for sure poured the base with 14” left between top of stove and the top of the opening.

I am not sure when you front load vs top load. Both sides open. It’s in great condition. We made the measurements so there is room to open and get things in the top if need be. Maybe I’m remembering measurements wrong but we for sure poured the base with 14” left between top of stove and the top of the opening.
The area of the house that is open that this is in is about 1500 sq ft.

The Isle Royale is a top and front loader, there are no side doors. If it is inside of a 34" opening, there will be no room for top loading. It's 30" tall according to the manual. That's not the end of the world. I recall some people reporting that they only front load.

The area of the house that is open that this is in is about 1500 sq ft.
The IR is a big and powerful heater but it doesn't have to run full 3 cu ft loads all the time. If the heat can circulate out of this area to the rest of the house, even better. For best success these stoves need fully seasoned, dry firewood.

We have a Quadrafire isle royale we are looking to install in a fireplace remodel. The chimney is in good shape and has no liner. We plan on running the exhaust up the chimney to the chimney cap. Here’s the question. What do we need to have to make that happen? It’s 16’ up from the top of stove to the chimney cap. We need two angles to get the pipe centered to run up the chimney while the wood burner sits back in the fireplace. Do we use insulated stove pipe or chimney pipe. It requires 6” which will fit all the way up the chimney. Thank you!
I did the same thing in my fireplace back in the early eighties. I already had the stove and had the fireplace built to the specs. so the thimble on the stove top lined up with the 6 inch flu liner. The stove is a franklin fireplace stove that was bought from sears and we use it with the doors open. Heats the room just fine and do not get that sooty smell when it rains outside or pressure forces the cold air down the chimney.

I find that I can do a better job of loading the stove from the double front doors. I haven't used the top load feature in over a decade.

Reactions: begreen
I find that I can do a better job of loading the stove from the double front doors. I haven't used the top load feature in over a decade.
That's what I recalled. Such a nice stove. If it weren't for clearance issues, the Isle Royale is what we would be burning in today.

Reactions: Jags