2nd Flippy Cap on Stihl Saw Broke

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh they are easy to break! After 5 or 6 normal and gentle "trys" after all you just had it off 15 min. ago on the last tank, no prob. Well I'll screw this F***ER ON NOW! ........ all done. Go directly to dealer. Just don't see the need for a 7 or 8 pc. gas/oil cap. I think, no I know that the cap(s) on my very old and Stihll in use 041 have never been replaced.

MasterMech said:
RNLA said:
I have both styles screw and flippy. As most here know I run my own tree company, 7 different saws, 2 hedgers, 2 blowers. The recall sucks because they don't do the saws. Right before they mailed the notices of recall out I purchased about a half dozen caps oil & gas. So now I have all these caps to go through before I get more. I have run across 3 in the last year that got stuck in the tank, when I did get them out I just put a new one in... The concept of tooless caps is great, the material is the issue... :shut:

I wonder if some of the problem caps are/were in the spare parts stream. The caps have a letter moulded into them. "D" is the newer ethanol-proof cap.
I checked all of my saws and other equipment they all are "D" caps that was when I got the notice several weeks ago. The ethenol caps are series "E" or better. I asked the dealer and he said the hedgers and blowers are covered, no saws... Thanks STIHL!

RNLA said:
MasterMech said:
RNLA said:
I have both styles screw and flippy. As most here know I run my own tree company, 7 different saws, 2 hedgers, 2 blowers. The recall sucks because they don't do the saws. Right before they mailed the notices of recall out I purchased about a half dozen caps oil & gas. So now I have all these caps to go through before I get more. I have run across 3 in the last year that got stuck in the tank, when I did get them out I just put a new one in... The concept of tooless caps is great, the material is the issue... :shut:

I wonder if some of the problem caps are/were in the spare parts stream. The caps have a letter moulded into them. "D" is the newer ethanol-proof cap.
I checked all of my saws and other equipment they all are "D" caps that was when I got the notice several weeks ago. The ethenol caps are series "E" or better. I asked the dealer and he said the hedgers and blowers are covered, no saws... Thanks STIHL!

I stand corrected, "E" caps are the newer caps. :red:

That'll learn me not to double-check the recall notice before posting.

Flippy caps sux when yer an impatient bass turd. Trust me, it's best to wash the gas off and change your pants.

The Germans generally try to build stuff better than anyone else.
Sometimes they succeed.
katarina-witt-pictures-3276f582e2f98dc3b1f96cf74e8d1077.jpg

Sometimes they fail miserably.

insert image of strung-out Amy Winehouse here . . .

Of course, flippy cap or not, stihl way bedder' dan dem Husqs . . .

ISeeDeadBTUs said:
Flippy caps sux when yer an impatient bass turd. Trust me, it's best to wash the gas off and change your pants.

The Germans generally try to build stuff better than anyone else.
Sometimes they succeed.
katarina-witt-pictures-3276f582e2f98dc3b1f96cf74e8d1077.jpg

Sometimes they fail miserably.
38252.jpg

Of course, flippy cap or not, stihl way bedder' dan dem Husqs . . .

My eyes have seen great and wonderful things and (scrolling down) . . . Arrghhhhhh . . . my eyes are bleeding . . . make it stop, make it stop . . . I need to get the picture out of my head. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.