2nd KC Scrounge

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 13, 2013
Kansas City, MO
Was able to get my hands on some of the good stuff from a tree removal just a few blocks away. It took lots of help to get it split up by hand (x27 and a couple wedges) and about a gallon of fuel through the new 261 C-M to quarter and slab the big rounds. We had to get it split and inside because dishonest people were starting to help themselves. I think it will measure about 2 cord when all stacked even after what walked off.

Looking forward to working some smaller stuff on a couple hedgerows I have access to - big hedge is really heavy to handle! We were huffing and puffing with the big ones while the little helper tossed chips around wondering why we were working so hard. I'm hoping the work pays off when we get this rocket fuel dried out and into the stove. Any idea how long I am going to have to wait?

Attachments

• 2nd KC Scrounge
    Hedge Roof.JPG
    155.2 KB · Views: 172
  • 2nd KC Scrounge
    Hedge Side.JPG
    176.9 KB · Views: 177
  • 2nd KC Scrounge
    Basement Stacks with Little Helper.JPG
    144.1 KB · Views: 127
  • 2nd KC Scrounge
    Basement Stacks.JPG
    146.8 KB · Views: 130
  • 2nd KC Scrounge
    Basement Piles.JPG
    139.3 KB · Views: 127
  • 2nd KC Scrounge
    Catwalk Stacks.JPG
    153.3 KB · Views: 154
Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Kinda looks like Mulberry. Hedge is a neon yellow when split, Mulberry is orange.

I am curious about your residence there. You own/live in the whole building, just a floor, etc? I used to be down in the bottoms a couple times a week visiting the motorcycle shop and always thought it would be a cool place to live. There is a place over by the 12th street bridge that has/had a car wash up on the 2nd or 3rd floor and the building had a car sized elevator in it.

Reactions: Hickorynut
Bet mulberry too......

Hate to say it but I agree with mulberry. Still its good burning wood.

Kinda looks like Mulberry. Hedge is a neon yellow when split, Mulberry is orange.

I am curious about your residence there. You own/live in the whole building, just a floor, etc? I used to be down in the bottoms a couple times a week visiting the motorcycle shop and always thought it would be a cool place to live. There is a place over by the 12th street bridge that has/had a car wash up on the 2nd or 3rd floor and the building had a car sized elevator in it.

It is hard to tell from the cell phone pictures but the fresh cut/split wood is bright yellow. After a couple of weeks of exposure it turns brownish orange. Mulberry and Osage Orange are in the same family so I guess I'm not totally sure what it is.

We own the whole building and live on the second floor. The bottoms is a cool place to live but don't spread that around too much. The few of us living down here now are worried the vibe will change when the residential loft conversions start to happen. There are a number of conversion projects currently in the works but for now most buildings have relatively "raw" living spaces.

I believe the building you are talking about with the big elevator is on 12th street about a block away from me (Kansas City Nut, Bolt & Screw). The owner has multiple vehicles stored on the upper floors including a vintage GMC 4x4 pickup that would look awesome hauling some wood. Another building down here was built to sell and service tractors and has an elevator that is 12'x28' and licensed at 8.5 tons. I was told that the elevator capacity is 17.5 tons but the city inspectors ran out of test weights at 8.5 tons.

Was the cycle shop Cafe Racer?

Last edited:
Cafe Racer indeed, when they were in the smaller shop before they swapped spaces with the car place next door. Yep, the nut bolt and screw place, was either downstairs in that building or in one nearby in a computer shop that buys up old equipment and the guy was telling me about someone storing cars on the upper floors. All this was 8 or more years ago.

That is pretty cool, I am vested in a place already or I would come join the small crowd down there (live in Old Northeast). Having an interest in structural stuff I am hugely impressed with the structural capacity of those places.

Status
Not open for further replies.