Advice on last night's runaway portal to hell raging inferno

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I think many on here have had a load take off and get too hot. I had it happen for the first time this year with the way I loaded it during a reload. It was a raging fireball with STT of 750 and climbing. Air was shut down. When I saw it was going to keep going I opened the window next to the stove and opened the door to let cool air rush up the flue. Did this a few times and it finally calmed down. I was told that I could have road it out and that my stove and chimney system can handle this high temp with ease. Lesson learned.
I had one of these the other day. I got distracted during the shut down process and didn't get the air turned down soon enough. Having a very strong drafting chimney I need to shut down early and often to keep it under control. It ended up leaking at about 840 STT at the hottest point on the stovetop for a brief time and then dropped into 780 STT after I fully shut it down and blower on high for 20-30 min before settling to 720 and cruising.

Being experienced with my stove I knew it wasn't an emergency. I just had to ride it out for that half hour and keep an eye on it. It's not going to destroy the stove or liner. Now I wouldn't advise doing that all the time. Sustained 800+ STT fires will absolutely damage the stove or at least wear it out faster. I'm happy to cruise around 700 STT +/- 50 though. That's just where it runs best.

Another thing to consider when measuring STT are you talking at the stoves hottest area or the general average temp of the hottest areas. Since some of us don't have probe flue access it's important to differentiate. There can be a 50-100 degree STT difference two inches apart depending where you measure. I personally know where my hot spot is and check that but also measure 1-2" to either side to get a general STT reading. If the hot spot (literally the hot square 2-3") is 700 the majority of the top is 550-650.

Just some things to consider. Not all directed at you wild, just your post got me thinking!

It’s at the hottest point and yes I could have road it out. My stove and pipe can handle it. Just was concerned with it rising above 750 with my jets acting like a flame PE thrower.

I’m cruising at 700 STT now which was by design. My temp gauge is at the hottest point 3” from flue collar.

You have good advice on here so never worries about what you have to say!

If you have really dry wood that tends to take control of itself even with everything shut down, keep a few pieces of fresh green wood close by. Throw a piece in to quickly settle it down.