1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

3-14-2013 Warwick Township - Spark from pellet stove ignites house fire; damage at 20K

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by Don2222, Apr 23, 2013.

1. Don2222

Don2222 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Salem NH
    Hello

Does the description mean the pellet stove vent termination was over the front porch?
    If there is no vertical rise that could easily start a fire!
    If so, that is not a good installation?

Near Lancaster, PA
    http://lancasteronline.com/article/...fire-in-Warwick-Township--damage-at--20k.html

By RYAN ROBINSON
    Staff Writer

Wind helped spark a fire that struck a Warwick Township house on Thursday morning, a fire official said.

Ruthie Martin was awake when she smelled smoke in her 1417 Brunnerville Road home shortly after 7 a.m., Brunnerville Fire Chief Lynn Mearig said.

She got her two young children out of the home without any serious danger, Mearig said. Her husband, Glenn, was not at home.

About 25 firefighters from area companies responded and brought the fire under control in about 45 minutes, Mearig said. No one was injured.

The family had a fire burning in a pellet stove in a small front living room of the log-style home, he said.

Heavy wind blew a "hot spark" from the chimney down to the front porch.

It burnt into the floor, under the front door sill and inside the home, Mearig said.

The fire caused at least $18,000 damage to the home and about $2,000 damage to its contents, he said.

The family will be able to live in the home.
    rrobinson@lnpnews.com

Read more: http://lancasteronline.com/article/local/825943_Spark-from-pellet-stove-ignites-house-fire-in-Warwick-Township--damage-at--20k.html#ixzz2RKr8cOiy

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. mralias

mralias Minister of Fire

Loc:
    MA
    Yeah I think the wording is a little vague. I also pictured a chimney to be a brick structure that goes up the side of the house to the roof. If that is what they are talking about that "hot spark" had one hell of a trip to make it to the front door. I'm thinking they mean the venting system and not a chimney.IMO
  3. Don2222

Don2222 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Salem NH
    Yes, and the fire codes do say the vent termination must be 18" away from the front door with an OAK installed or 4 feet away without! So unless it is right over the door it would be hard. It just seems something is not installed correctly!
  4. Defiant

Defiant Vermont Castings Geek

Loc:
    Old Lyme CT
    Hello,
    I think you solved the problem==c
  5. AddictiveStew

AddictiveStew Member

Loc:
    PA
    This is very close to me. Crazy!