1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

3-39 Condar Probe vs. 3-19 Condar Probe. Test Results.

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by pen, Feb 2, 2011.

1. pen

pen There are some who call me...mod. Staff Member

Loc:
    N.E. Penna
    In conversations with Condar that I had, they claim the longevity of their surface thermometers is very good (decades) but only a few years of average burning for the probe.

Without deterioration of the metal conduction probe itself, the probe is just an external bimetallic strip same as their surface thermometers are. I could never get a straight answer as to why their probes have such a short listed lifespan.

pen

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. velvetfoot

velvetfoot Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
    If the stove has a window, can't you tell what's going on by just looking?
  3. mhrischuk

mhrischuk Guest

Most of those listed alternatives have a 1000 deg limit and only intermittent over 800.

For Condar, it looks like they sacrificed accuracy just to get a product out there. I think they don't respond well to questions because there is no answer except buy an electronic thermocouple from someone else. They're not going to tell you to do that.

After doing more research I can see it's an engineering challenge to design a low cost bimetallic unit over the range we need.
  4. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    I have found my Condar probe works a lot better than the condor I first tried using . . . it kept flying away when I tried to get it to roost on the hot stove pipe. ;) :)

Attached Files:

5. Ron34422

Ron34422 New Member

Loc:
    Texas Hill Country
    I do too...how would you adapt it?
  6. tfdchief

tfdchief Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Tuscola, IL
    That might be the trick and there would be no turning back if you cut a larger hole in the stove pipe.
  7. Scott2373

Scott2373 Member

Loc:
    Williamson, New York
    I don't mean to hijack the thread, but is as simple as drilling a hole in the double-wall pipe and sticking the probe in, or do I need to seal it and secure it somehow? Is there a magnet on back to hold it in place? I need to get one of these, as I currently have a magnetic mount thermo on my double wall pipe...hehehehe, rookie mistakes...LOL
  8. Todd

Todd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Lake Wissota
    Just follow the directions on the package, they have a small magnet to hold the probe in place, no need to seal anything.
  9. Highbeam

Highbeam Minister of Fire

Loc:
    base of Mt. Rainier on the wet side, WA
    Drill the holes and stick it in. Be sure that your drill is level since if the holes are not aligned the meter face will point in a weird direction. First, drill through both layers with the small drill bit and then come back with the larger bit to only ream out the first hole.
  10. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    As stated . . . pretty simple . . . I mean me . . . a dumb hick firefighter from Maine could do it . . . anyone can. Just need a drill, the two drill different drill bits and 10 minutes . . .

Held on with a small magnet.
  11. Scott2373

Scott2373 Member

Loc:
    Williamson, New York
    Sounds easy enough, thank you! So I guess from reading this forum that Condar is the way to go as far as thermos go, eh?
  12. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Get the 3-19 model if you can.
  13. Scott2373

Scott2373 Member

Loc:
    Williamson, New York
    Is there really a difference considering the price point of these cheap thermometers?
  14. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Go back and read over this thread.