3.5 tonnes of pelletes = how many full cords if I convert to wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Guvner

Sep 4, 2009
Ontario
As the title says I used that many bags of LG brand pellets in my Envrio Meridian pellet stove this past winter and am now thinking I should have installed a woodstove instead. I grew up with a woodstove and love them so does my wife.
With that many pellets to heat most of our home how many full cords would do the same job? I'm looking at oak and maple.

And are these good prices, full dry cords for $200-230CDN/each and $400 for 3 full cords of uncut logs, those are just some prices I've got locally.

Not sure - can you determine the BTU content of a ton of LG Granules? If so, you can multiply that BTU # by 3.5. Then determine the BTU content of cord of oak and maple (whichever maple you have + perhaps average the two if you have a true mix). Divide the BTU/cord number into your total pellet BTU number and you should get a rough idea of the cord equivalent of your 3.5 tons of pellets. Good luck and let us know what you find.

I didn't think I could calculate it that way, thanks!.
Well LG pellets run 7765btu/lb x 3.5 tonnes = @54MBTU which equates to 2.25 full cords of maple or oak, so 3 cords to be safe which is what I was banking on considering this past winter was mild.

Gotta figure in (or maybe not, depending on your attitude about it) the amortization of changing out your woodburner. Woodstove, hearth, stovepipe, chimney, installation. Non-trivial. But if it would bring you pleasure...why not? Rick

Thats is an issue with the decision making. We spent $2000 on a used stove and new piping (I get piping at cost) just last fall and I would hope to sell it for that or slightly less, then a new stove with piping again at cost would cost maybe an additional $700, maybe more once I get the WETT inspection done. Who know what will happen.

I had the bright idea of trying pellets this past winter. Had been burning wood for many years past. I heat my house completely on 5 to 6 cords per year. With the relatively mild winter we had this past year, it took me 8 TONS of pellets, 4 of which were LG Granules to get heat which was not anywhere as good as wood. Know anyone who wants to buy 2 pellet stoves @ a good price? They say 1 ton of quality pellets is equal to 1 and 1/2 of cord of hardwood. To that, I say BULLS_ _ _!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just bought 6 bush cords of really good hardwood mix for $210. a cord cut,split,delivered................Now I'm happy again.

Welcome to the forum Ryan.

It appears you have the figures down pat on the conversion. That price on cordwood does seem high but each area can be different. For those who buy their wood it seems buying 8' lengths by the semi load is not a bad deal. But one of the biggest considerations now would be if you could get that wood ready to burn by fall!!!!! No matter what the seller says, I would figure on that wood being green and not seasoned at all. This cuts the time you need for drying the wood very short. It also depends upon what type of wood you are buying as to how long it takes to dry.

If you've been a wood burner before, you know most of this but I hate to see someone settle for second best when it comes to wood. Most folks don't buy until it is needed and then the darned stuff doesn't burn good at all. This causes them to actually burn more wood than they should have to and they also get creosote problems, smokey homes, hard to start fires, etc.

If you must buy wood for next winter, get it as soon as possible. Get it split and stacked (not too tight of a stack) out in the wind and sun. Wind is more important than sun. Don't cover it either until next fall or winter. Then cover the top of the stack only. If you have a wood shed, do not put the wood in the shed until late next fall because it will dry faster outside.

Good luck to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.