3/8ths or .325 pitch chain on a Dolmar 5105

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mstoelton

Feeling the Heat
Dec 16, 2013
SE michigan
I'm considering a new Dolmar 5105 and it is sold with either a 3/8ths pitch chain or a .325 pitch chain.

Which is better? Using for bucking and limbing firewood.

18 inch bar unless you guys tell me the 18 is the wrong way to go. This is planned as a back-up for my HD Dolkita 6421

I'm considering a new Dolmar 5105 and it is sold with either a 3/8ths pitch chain or a .325 pitch chain.

Which is better? Using for bucking and limbing firewood.

18 inch bar unless you guys tell me the 18 is the wrong way to go. This is planned as a back-up for my HD Dolkita 6421

I personally would run a 16" .325 bar and chain combo on any stock 50cc saw. When I had a Stihl MS261 that was my primary setup.

I went 3/8 , 050 because i run that on it's big brothers. It cuts great with an 18 inch bar. I've had it since 2006 and it's cut a lot of wood.
Mike

I like .325 on 50cc saws, but the 5100s and the 5105 have a reputation for competently handling 3/8.

I agree, probably true and slightly faster, although it will pull the rpm down more and be real grabby limbing and have more vibration too.

I use 3/8th, 16" and 20" bar.

I cut soft wood.

3/8x.050 is more common and easier to find most anywhere should youhave a need for a new one in a hurry. 3/8x.050 low pro will work just fine on the 5105. Now if this is a brand new saw make sure you have the dealer retune it a bit rich on the high side, as everything now days, due to EPA regs, is coming down the pipe line running way to lean to make regulations. Running lean and extended run time = burned out unit in short order. Don't matter whose make.

Status
Not open for further replies.