3 choices wish one would you buy............

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DamienBricka

Feeling the Heat
Nov 3, 2013
Pittsburgh, Pa
I am in pursue of a bigger stove around 2cf.
I have narrowed down my choice to the following 3.
1) PE True North.
2) Drolet 1800
3) Century Hearth FW3000.
It is a tough choice what are your thoughts guys.
Thanks for the input

Can't offer any experience with it, but I just bought the Escape 1800 from Menards. I figured it would be hard to beat at $649.

Get the one with the most square firebox for more loading and burning options.

Reactions: Jags
You are referring to the true north

I think the True North is a 1.9 cu ft box , Edit: I initially thought not a square firebox but looks to be maybe a 18" x 18" box, PE recommends 16" wood.

Square Firebox means you can load your wood either way N/S or E/W.

The FW 3000 2.9 cuft fire box might work as the most square firebox design but your wood needs to be cut 17" or less as its fireboox is 21’’W x 17.25’’D or just use it as a east west loader and your wood can be 20" .

You said your well insulated house is approx 650 square feet upstairs and approx 650 in he basement and the stove will be in the basement. And the basement has insulated walls.

They say you can always load small loads in those larger stoves, I have not experience with that. Too help you out on that aspect.

All those stoves work in the basic same way with secondary air up top. I think performance would be comparable but the big fire box will give you longer burns and more capacity but may get the room too warm at times.

If your going big and are looking Drolet , the Austral or Myriad is more of a square box to hold the standard 18" splits N/S or E/W configuration of wood loading , thats the size of splt most people sell.

The Austral and Myriad firebox dimensions are 18.5 " W x 21.25" D.

One thing to point out, I read that the Myriad and Austral are true N/S loaders which when you load that way the wood can burn hotter and faster. So what I read was that these stoves dont have a doghouse air so as the wood burns more even in the N/S configuration.

North/South loading is preffered as a way to not worry about splits rolling out on you.

Last edited:
.....of those, which has the biggest firebox. I would much rather have a bigger fire box and build smaller fires than have a smaller fire box and have to run it full bore in order to heat the house....jmho.

You can always burn small fires in a bigger stove, but can't the other way, if you like the true north and you want bigger, the drolet austral 'looks' like it could be a big cousin

the drolet austral 'looks' like it could be a big cousin

That is my thoughts exactly.

The PE True North is being sold here in Pittsburgh for $1095 that seems to be a lot of money for a stove that size

That's a high price. Shop around for a better deal and maybe wait a month until the stores are trying to move out inventory. Or buy on a hot day in August. That's worked well for me in the past.

That's a high price. Shop around for a better deal and maybe wait a month until the stores are trying to move out inventory. Or buy on a hot day in August. That's worked well for me in the past.

Right now I am leaning for the Drolet myriad I can get it for 690 at menards with a double wall pipe. What are your thoughts Begreen?

Needs an R=1.0 hearth. It's an unshielded stove. Make sure your location can handle the side and rear clearance requirements.

Needs an R=1.0 hearth

My Hearth is concrete

Make sure your location can handle the side and rear clearance requirements.

Side I am 30 inches from the nearest wall on one side and 7 feet from the other wall on the other side. With double wall pipe I can be 6 inches from combustible.
Should I go with OAK

To Begreen I am ordering today the thimble you recommended

That's maybe a tad more than I have seen them for here. You're a couple thousand miles closer to the manufacturer, so $799 is probably a realistic price for your area.

Exactly right.

$799 is probably a realistic price for your area.

I talked to the dealer again and he firmly suggested that I upgrade to the Super 27 that will not happen. Next.....

Super 27 would be my suggestion too. Guess we strike out.

#2 or #3. While your heating area seems like #1 could work just right...I would err on the side of go bigger.

Super 27 would be my suggestion too. Guess we strike out.

Are you willing to send me a check for the difference.........................lol.......? (Just Kidding)

index.jpg

Your stove shop is trying to help you. Sometimes you get what you pay for. In this case it is a better firebox, controlled secondary burn, longer burntime, tough stainless baffle, easier cleaning, ember protection only hearth. Over the life of the stove the difference is trivial.

Reactions: jeff_t
[Your stove shop is trying to help you. Sometimes you get what you pay for. In this case it is a better firebox, controlled secondary burn, longer burntime, tough stainless baffle, easier cleaning, ember protection only hearth. Over the life of the stove the difference is trivial.

I can agree. If you haven't compared them, look closely.

What is he asking for the 27?

The ss baffle is sweet. The controlled secondary air and subsequent long burns are definitely nice. But, $600 is $600.

Probably no Menards's around Pittsburg? They have some pretty good sales right now.

Probably no Menards's around Pittsburg?

The closest Menards is 2.5 hours away. I do not mind the drive that is why I was thinking on the Drolet Myriad.
Going to Ohio would be a time for my Wife and I to get away from the daily life.
A lot to think about about

I don't have a super 27 but I have a summit.....looks like a big brother, in my opinion. I was a little disappointed by the stove a couple of years ago but I found it wasn't so much the stove as the wood. not a bad choice for sure....although I am partial to cast iron.....sorry brother b ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.