3-inch or 4-inch pellet pipe?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jonj3233

Oct 2, 2023
Ohio
I just had a guy do an estimate on a pellet pipe installation today. He seemed likable enough and didn't waste any time with his movements inspecting the job giving no indication he lacked any knowledge or skillset. I told him that I wanted 4-inch pipe rather than 3-inch pipe for the most efficient burn possible and also if the electricity goes off, I will have a good draft and not smoke the house up. About 5 minutes later he said he didn't think I really needed 4 inches and it would just cost more. He mentioned before all of this that he had Selkirk already stored on him. I told him I was planning on using Pellet Pro because I could take it apart, if need be, because of the self-sealing O-ring. The planned installation is going straight up at the tee vertically through the ceiling, then roof on a 14' run. The fresh air intake vent is going through the floor for about 3 feet and terminates in the vented crawl space. I would be willing to pay extra for the best burn possible as I know everyone on this site would do just by reading all the posts the last couple of weeks in here. Going with the 3-inch Selkirk really didn't seem to have saved me much money IMHO because he quoted me $2,600 for labor and material (hearth pad Included). Love to hear everyone's thoughts on the subject. Am I overthinking too much?

Ask him for a quote with 4" to compare. Find out the difference between Selkirk and PelletVent Pro (lead times and cost). IDK, maybe the PVP is on back order which would make you wait for install.

He may be right, you may technically only need 3" and he is just trying to save you money. At the same time, he should at least give you the option since that is what you are asking for to begin with.

4 inch is less restrictive and will give a better draft. Plus, it can have more ash build-up in it before it gets too restrictive.

4 inch is less restrictive and will give a better draft. Plus, it can have more ash build-up in it before it gets too restrictive.
Yes, that's exactly why I want it. The electricity goes out all the time here and having a 4-inch pipe going vertical I believe would give it enough natural draft to evacuate the smoke during a power outage and also give it a better burn. I just don't want to sit looking at the flame regretting I didn't have a 4-inch pipe. Life is too short.

After his quote for a 3-inch pipe installation, I don't feel I'm even benefiting from any savings going 3 inches with the figure he gave me IMHO. I'm having another guy do a quote probably just over the phone with the info I give him. He is so busy probably would not be able to do the job until January latest. These are the reasons I hate hiring people. They never seem to go how I want them, even for simple things. I may just do it myself but lack confidence on this one.

I know he will do a good job. In his contract he put in writing he will make framing for the support box. Also putting in attic shield. I have loose insulation. The roof is 3 or 4/12 pitch and the stove exhaust will be 120 inches inward from the side of the house. My calculation makes that roughly 2 1/2 feet of height to work within the attic. Not much space. With that height to save money forget an attic shield and use the support box all the way through the attic and out the roof. Would be easier and less work for him too. Would be a big pain to work within 2 1/2 feet of height. Using a support box alone one would not even need to enter the attic and would save money on less labor, time and materials.

Just using a support box for an insulation shield would save money. You could keep the quote the same but have 4-inch pipe. I wanted to buy the material personally and have him just worry about the installation.

Last edited: