3" or 4" for Breckwell P23

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JPCOMP

Oct 15, 2008
Upstate NY
Hello- I just purchased a used (~10yrs old) but well maintained Breckwell P23. The seller included 4" piping that he had used to connect stove to his existing chimmney. I will be running my pipe up and out. It looks like the pipe he gave me is double walled stainless steel and I will need the wall thimble and horizontal cap to complete it for my needs. These parts will cost around $90.... Or should I just buy a complete 3" brand new duravent kit off shelf for $180?

Just concerned about trying to parts something together.

Thanks-John

If you can't match the brand/model pipe you have on hand, I would recommend buying the kit for safety and piece of mind. You don't want leaking pipes in your home, that can be deadly.

I spoke to Breckwell the other day and they told me that 4" pipe can be used for any length of venting.

They also said 3" pipe can be used but only up to 15 EVL ( equivilent vent length ) and the only reason 3" pipe is available is because it is less money and saves consumers a few bucks.

Knowing what I know now I'd go with the 4" pipe.

FG.

JPCOMP said:
Hello- I just purchased a used (~10yrs old) but well maintained Breckwell P23. The seller included 4" piping that he had used to connect stove to his existing chimmney. I will be running my pipe up and out. It looks like the pipe he gave me is double walled stainless steel and I will need the wall thimble and horizontal cap to complete it for my needs. These parts will cost around $90.... Or should I just buy a complete 3" brand new duravent kit off shelf for $180?

Just concerned about trying to parts something together.

Thanks-John

If you need help call me on Thursday. I do have some of the Pellet Vent around or if you wanna upgrade to the Pellet Vent Pro I will see what we can do.

Eric
330-876-0200

Thanks a lot Eric. I'm going to go with this and see how well it performs.

If it doesn't perform well I'll give you a shout.

Thanks again,

FG.

kinsman stoves said:
If you need help call me on Thursday. I do have some of the Pellet Vent around or if you wanna upgrade to the Pellet Vent Pro I will see what we can do.

Eric
330-876-0200

rap69ri said:
If you can't match the brand/model pipe you have on hand, I would recommend buying the kit for safety and piece of mind. You don't want leaking pipes in your home, that can be deadly.

Is there a sure fire way to identify the brand of these pipes? I don't see any numbers or labeling on them?? What if I post pics? Could someone identify them?

Thanks-John

the way to identify Pellet Vent or Corn Vent to Pellet Vent Pro is that Pro has welded seems and not crimped. Pro looks a little better without all the crimps.

The first pic is Pellet Vent Pro 3PVP-12

The second pic is Corn Vent #33012

Attachments

• P1020471.JPG
    P1020471.JPG
    36.8 KB · Views: 229
  • P1020789.JPG
    P1020789.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 247
kinsman stoves said:
the way to identify Pellet Vent or Corn Vent to Pellet Vent Pro is that Pro has welded seems and not crimped. Pro looks a little better without all the crimps.

The first pic is Pellet Vent Pro 3PVP-12

The second pic is Corn Vent #33012

Good information- I will check when I get home- Thanks - John

Status
Not open for further replies.