1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

3" or 4" vent for corn/pellet stove??

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by jsavage, Oct 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jsavage

jsavage New Member

Loc:
    Southern Utah
    US Stove 6041i
    Manual says to use 4" if your altitude is over 2500 ft. I'm sitting just under 6000 ft. However, I can't find a CornVent™ kit in 4" diameter. I can find a duravent "multi-fuel" kit in 4", but from what I understand, those will still corrode if I burn corn. How big of a deal is it if I use the 3" kit instead of a 4"?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Fsappo

Fsappo Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central NY
    If it was me, I would go with the 4" and end up replacing it every 3-10 years. Just pull it out and check it after each season. I would feel very good about using the Duravent product. Talk to a Hearth Retailer, I know "Cringe alert, he may try to make a profit off me and keep himself in business so he can be there for us to answer questions and provide answers in the future" that sell Duravent and ask him his opinion on the product. He should be familiar with corn burning issues in your altitude
  3. jtakeman

jtakeman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    Best to play by the book! Your stove will run better.

The new pellet vent and Pellet vent pro have the same construction as far as I know. PelletVent is 3 inches to combustables and PelletVent Pro is rated for 1" to Combustables. That is the difference.

Eric at Kingsman stoves can help you if you prefer the PelletVent Pro. Email is eric@kinsmanstoves.com

jay
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.