1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

3 Point Log Splitters

Post in 'The Gear' started by wdenton, Feb 22, 2012.

1. wkpoor

wkpoor Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Amanda, OH
    Beyound marketing engine hp #s mean nothing. Its not even on the Nebraska test. The 2 numbers that have always been used are pto and drawbar. I realize most compacts and utilities didn't get the test but the whole reason for the Nebraska test was so mfgs couldn't make bogus claims. For sh*ts and giggles I looked up my 5400 vs the m5040. The specs on the M5040 says PTO 45 (claimed) and on the JD 5400 it says 60 (claimed) 62.56 (tested). I'm not comparing tractors I'm only pointing out a tractor that has been tested and referred to as such is the real deal. Throwing out what may be a paper number on engine hp doesn't inform the buyer as to what the tractor is really capable of when called upon to do work.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. wkpoor

wkpoor Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Amanda, OH
    This thread has been seriously derailed and no, no one is suggesting anything of the such. You would have to have followed it closely to see how we got here. Surprised the mods haven't shut it down yet.
  3. RowCropRenegade

RowCropRenegade Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Southwest, Ohio
    My dad GAVE me his 3 pt splitter that goes on the back of my IH 574 tractor. It rans off the rear remote. Closed center hydraulics. I never use it. Takes too long to hook it up and burns way more fuel that a huskee pull behind. I've considered converting it to go on my JD333 to split monster trunk pieces.

I'd advise against running the 3 pt on the Vickers vane pump. Blew my vickers up on my Oliver 550, about 700 bucks for a new one. I would suggest going the PTO route if you are deadset on a tractor 3 pt splitter.

Good luck!