3 Tons of Pellets Delivered today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

terryjd98

Jul 1, 2008
Ontario Canada
Had 3 tons of Cubex hardwood Pellets delivered today. They were $260.00 a ton plus tax, no delivery fee. Might buy another ton down the road. Spent enough on a stove, pellets and still have to buy the pipe install kit yet. Also going to tear my dinning room apart and insulate it. Dinning room has no insulation in it right now, house was built in the 1920s or so by the looks of construction method, the township has no record of the house being built. Lath and plaster walls to tear apart so know its going to be a mess, already did the kitchen a few years ago. Then I will be able to install the Enviro Evolution.
Lots of money going out all at once but when the oil company wants $422.00 a month for 10 months it seems worth it to me. Even if oil prices happen to drop payback might be longer but the insulation will just mean any oil I do use will still be less.

It sounds like you've got a LOT of work ahead of you with tearing the walls apart and the new insulation, but it is DEFINATELY going to make a big difference with your comfort. If you haven't started doing it yet, don't waste one minute. I had a somewhat similar large project a few years back which unfortunately had us working into the month of November without insulation on an addition we were doing and it cost us more than we bargained for. Until I got the insulation in and the cast iron baseboard installed we had to use two large electric heaters for the whole month and it was a COLD November too. One heater was 3k watts and the other was 10k.

Our electric bill went from a norm of apprximately $100.00 per month to over $1800.00 for that month.

Don't hesitate to get started as soon as you can and keep us posted on your progress!

Good Luck!

Steve

terryjd98 said:
Had 3 tons of Cubex hardwood Pellets delivered today. They were $260.00 a ton plus tax, no delivery fee. Might buy another ton down the road.

Don't know what pellet price have been in the past up in your neck of the woods, but $260 delivered seems good (based on what they are going for here in the States). I think I'd be getting that extra ton ASAP.

I can't imagine getting a price like that and includes delivery as well. What a steal you got up there, and what theft goes on down here.

The company I bought the pellets from are very good to deal with. I orded the pellets in July but told them I would have to call for delivery when I was ready. They said ok, never needed a deposit or anything. I bought and put up one of them 20 X 10 portable car shelters to store the pellets in and also needed a place to store all the furniture from the dinning room when I tear it apart. Got some old skids to put on the ground then screwed some half inch chip board onto the pallets to make a floor and keep everything off the ground. Left a 6 x 10 hole on one side for them to put the pellets in. I called and said I was ready, they delivered the next day, said would be here between 8:00 and 8:30. My alarm clock goes off at 7:30, I am laying in bed listening to the news and doorbell rings, I get dressed quick go outside and he already had the pellets in the car shelter and has it zipped up closed again. I take a look and there are 2 skids of pellets right where I want them. They get the skids of pellets in from the factory a ton and a half to a skid.
Company does have a fair price and the free delivery is a plus. It does sound like everybody pays delivery charges in the US and pellets are not real cheap either. On the other hand all the stove dealers in my area seem high price for install and pipe is cheaper in the USA. Here all the dealers wanted $750 to $1000.00 for install plus pipe, average around $650.00. A kit from Home Depot or one of them stores are $379.99, which I will be buying. So might get a good price on pellets but intalls are more expensive.
This is a mom and pop operation and selling pellets is all they do. Use to sell stoves but went to just selling pellets a few years ago. Guess they just want to make money not a killing. They do sell a lot though, told me they get them in by a rail car or 2 load at a time.
I am going to have a lot of work tearing the dinning room apart and putting it back together again. My goal is to have it tore apart and insulated by the end of Sept. Then install the stove, have the install certified and can then use it and take my time over the winter to finnish doing the drywall. My biggest problem is going to be the outside wall. House is made of stone, and has vinal siding on it. Going to have to start on the inside prying stones apart untill I have the right size hole, then frame in the wall thimble then cement in where the stone is missing if I can't break any stone up to fit in the hole again. Not going to be a fast install but will get it done. Not much choice though can stand in the room and feel drafts across your feet, danmn old houses lol.
Glad to hear Cubex are good pellets. Know a couple of people who burn them and they told me to make sure I got the hardwood pellets. With what they have saved on oil over the past couple of years I just had to try a pellet stove, especially with the big jump in oil prices this year.

Hey: Where did you order your pellets from, live north of Belleville and am set for this year but looking to next. My brother lives south of me and pretty much got the same deal as you.

Nothing like planning ahead.

Eric

bungalobob said:
I can't imagine getting a price like that and includes delivery as well. What a steal you got up there, and what theft goes on down here.

When I started burning pellets they were $150.00 a ton in NJ. That was not even ten years ago....

richg said:
bungalobob said:

When I started burning pellets they were $150.00 a ton in NJ. That was not even ten years ago....

Got my pellets this year for $185 per ton

Status
Not open for further replies.