3 Wheelers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ponyboync

Jul 12, 2009
NC
Anybody got an opinion on using a 3 wheeler to pull a small trailer full of firewood out of the woods. I'm not sure how well they would pull but I'm guessing they can maneuver good. Plus they are cheap.

Might be tough to turn? had a kawi klt 200 I think back a long time ago, pulled an argo dump with it, but this 3 wheeler you could unlock the left rear wheel from the drive axle to make turning esier. no suspension either, just baloonies.(big ole squishy meats)

I had a trike before I bought my quad. Idealy, a 4x4 quad would be your best bet. But, trikes are pretty cheap. I'd go with something that's a bit more "utility" oriented: Honda Big Red, Honda 250SX or Yamaha 225DX. All three are shaft driven and I want to say you can still find hitch plates for them. Just remember; you're looking at something that's 25 years old, so if it needs a lot of work, you may want to pass.

I wouldn't be so keen on getting a 3-wheeler . . . even if they're cheap.

A four wheeler would give you more stability (and the turning radius isn't much different from a three-wheeler) . . . you would get a better suspension . . . something a bit newer . . . and most likely it would have 4WD which can be an asset if you're hauling out a load in muddy or uneven terrain.

three wheelers are flat out dangerous
I know we all rode them, but
with whats available now I wouldnt get one
and which was stated above they havent been made for 25 years
forget about parts being avaiable
find a cheap four wheeler

I agree, you never know when I want to do 50mph with a loaded trailer on the back :lol:

In my limited experiance turning and slowing or stopping can be pretty challenging with a 4 wheeler-loaded trailer situation. This is true even on flat ground. With a 3 wheeler it is worse.

I did use one back in the day to drag smallish logs to the barn area for cutting to length. That worked fine.

ATB,
Mike

I'm not sure how that 4-wheeler is pretty challenging for turning and slowing or stopping. I've use one for the last 20 years and never noticed any problems like that. btw, I am now using a Yamaha Kodiak and it does fine.

Earlier this summer we had a person get killed pulling a sprayer with a four wheeler and he had ran one for many years, I assume it was a bigger sprayer for a tractor he was moving to a field, so any thing can happen if you are not careful. I think iit is good advice to not get the 3 wheeler as you will more than likely regret it down the road.

Thanks for all the input. I guess I was being cheap. Maybe I'll find a deal on a 4 wheeler. But I'll probably end up getting the old jeep as close as I can to the trees and carrying everything the rest of the way.

another possibility, depending on the contour of your property is a golf cart
they have good power, automatic trans, very stable almost bullet proof
i use one all the time, 1970's yamaha some situations looses traction but i only have the
street tires i am sure knobbys would help use it for pulling the trailer, spreader, sprayer
just a thought and depending on local laws might be able to run around the neighborhood with it

ironpony said:
another possibility, depending on the contour of your property is a golf cart
they have good power, automatic trans, very stable almost bullet proof
i use one all the time, 1970's yamaha some situations looses traction but i only have the
street tires i am sure knobbys would help use it for pulling the trailer, spreader, sprayer
just a thought and depending on local laws might be able to run around the neighborhood with it

Having worked at a golf course in high school and college I would pass on the golf cart idea . . . an ATV would give you more ground clearance and more pulling power. A golf cart is pretty light-weight comparatively and while it can be used to haul light loads (especially the older models) it is not really designed to move a lot of weight . . . and you would most likely have issues with clearance.

I do have an old three wheel golf cart and have tried to run it thru the woods. The clearance is a problem because of rocks and the hilly terrain. Brake linkage is underneath the floor board and towards the front. Plus the tree branches scratch up the sides and the windshield. Not a big deal I guess but it has been garage kept and is in good shape for it's age. Don't want to tear it up hauling wood. But I was thinking a three wheeler atv would be a good match for the three wheel golf cart. haha

One suggestion is to forget the trailer and just go with a Polaris BigBoss 6x6. It's basically a Magnum with a tag axle. It'll haul 800lbs in the bed and tow 1500lbs. I have an ATV trailer and after using it a couple times, it sits behind the shed unused now. Much easier to maneuver without it. Back axles are both driven all the time. AWD locks the front diff, which I only need in the snow. Handles almost the same as a regular quad. Makes an awesome woods machine. I am seriously considering selling my Sportsman and getting another BigBoss....just as a spare.

Attachments

• big_boss.jpg
    big_boss.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 469
  • big_boss1.jpg
    big_boss1.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 406
I find it interesting that so many people use atv's for hauling wood out of the bush. I have done it too but I find that a small tractor is far stronger unless one buys a large atv. We have used a variety of tractors over the years but currently we use a 20 hp hydrostatic Ford/New Holland (pre-boomer).

My favorite tractor over the years was our little farmall A. That little stinker could pull and it had an add on three point hitch. While it was not fancy it was stone cold reliable.

Given how inexpensive and cheap to operate most models of older tractor can be I would encourage people to consider tractors ahead of ATVS. Granted, an atv can go much faster and has more potential uses like playing, hunting, etc....

Pony towing mostly depends on the how big the tires are on the tow trailer. That's mo based the 4 trailers we've used. The latest and best trailer was cobbled from the front end of a van with 14" tires. While that was by far our heaviest trailer it was also the easiest to tow loaded threw swampy wet land by a 12 HP GT.

As long as the 3 wheeler could do the job sure why not? Can't be any more dangerous than harvesting trees.

Nice setup Peter! I love the various Fiskars that are attached to the bed. Sweet.

lowroadacres said:
I find it interesting that so many people use atv's for hauling wood out of the bush. I have done it too but I find that a small tractor is far stronger unless one buys a large atv. We have used a variety of tractors over the years but currently we use a 20 hp hydrostatic Ford/New Holland (pre-boomer).

My favorite tractor over the years was our little farmall A. That little stinker could pull and it had an add on three point hitch. While it was not fancy it was stone cold reliable.

Given how inexpensive and cheap to operate most models of older tractor can be I would encourage people to consider tractors ahead of ATVS. Granted, an atv can go much faster and has more potential uses like playing, hunting, etc....

You are correct that a small tractor can and is very handy. However, it takes a whole lot less room using an atv. My woods paths are pretty narrow (the way I like them) and I can back a small trailer right where it is needed. The atv does indeed do many other jobs besides hauling the wood and we find it much more versatile. Also, a 4 wheel drive is necessary under most conditions. Also, having an older tractor, while nice, can be not so nice in that much mechanical work sometimes needs to be done and finding parts is sometimes a bit of a task.

I have access to a tractor which is certainly more handy as it has a winch . . . but I often just buck up the tree where I drop it so my already-bought and paid-for ATV (which I currently use to plow my driveway, do landscaping around the house and trail ride) is often just as useful as I can drive right up to the tree . . . plus I can easily get to where I need to go without having to cut wider access trails . . . plus I don't have to ask Dad or my brother if they're using it.

Is a 250 cc big enough for log work. I would like something like that if it would handle the job.

Has anyone else noticed that the biggest ATV models are now overlapping with the size and function of the original WWII jeeps?
I see things with roofs, side doors, side by side seating for 2 or 4 people, small cargo beds out the back...

Meanwhile, the descendants of the jeeps are tooling around on roads, unsuited for their original purpose.

oldspark said:
Is a 250 cc big enough for log work. I would like something like that if it would handle the job.

Well, that depends what you mean by "log work". Will it skid logs? Probably not. Will it haul a trailer full of wood? Probably, if the terrain isn't too steep or if it has a low range tranny. The original Polaris 6x6 BigBoss (1990s) was a 250 two-stroke.

lowroadacres said:

If I had property like Quads, I'd have one. But there's no way I could get a tractor on my logging trails. Too narrow and rocky. Plus the lack of suspension would beat the hack out of my backside. ;)

PS...From the POV helmet-cam, it looks like I'm whipping thru the woods, but I'm only doing about 4 or 5 mph.

Peter SWNH said:
lowroadacres said:

If I had property like Quads, I'd have one. But there's no way I could get a tractor on my logging trails. Too narrow and rocky. Plus the lack of suspension would beat the hack out of my backside. ;)

PS...From the POV helmet-cam, it looks like I'm whipping thru the woods, but I'm only doing about 4 or 5 mph.
We have many tractors on the farm, but I never use them for gathering wood, for several reasons. I use my ATV because the 80 acres that I have been doing most of my cutting in for the last several years has narrow trails. All the trails are also foodplots for the wildlife. The ATV is much easier on the crops growing in the trails than a tractor is. A tractor also uses more gas, is harder to get on and off of, is bigger, and more cumbersome in the woods. It also weighs a lot more. When I go through the brush off-trail and weave through the trees with my ATV, the saplings that get ran over will spring back up. A tractor mashes them flat and breaks them off. A tractor is also generally louder. My ATV is quiet enough that I drive right up to the deer and other critters without scaring them too much, then I can take their picture and watch them.

But, one of the most important reasons I don't use a tractor is because it can pull a much bigger load of wood! That's right, I don't want to pull a big load of wood; it gets too tiring if I don't break the routine up a bit. I can go from the door of my house, cut down a tree, split it up, fill the trailer, haul it back to the house, and stack it, all in about 45 minutes per load. That's just about right for me. Then if I feel like it, I head back out and process a few more loads. A friend of mine uses one of his tractors for a wood hauler. He built a trailer out of an old hay wagon. His trailer is so big that it takes him three full days of cutting and splitting to fill one load! No thanks. I'm not that patient! Ha ha!

Status
Not open for further replies.