3 Year Old Cherry

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
Going through some pictures I came across this Cherry, it's been stacked for 2 years up top which you can't get to until spring.

This should burn great for the 2010-2011 heating season.

zap

Attachments

• 100_0208.jpg
    100_0208.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 413
If those are stacked on the ground, those bottom pcs will be trash, and a waste. Cherry is good stuff.

To quote the Horsey Forums "I heart cherry like whooaa ". ;-)

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:
What kinda "Cherry" we talking bout? Evil grins

I've been burning the hell out of some twisted cherry. Getting great heat but a lot of coals.

Hogwildz said:

I dunno.

What kind do you want?????? ;-)

Hogwildz said:

I dunno.

What kind do you want?????? ;-)
LMAO, I have to keep it G rated. I like cherry pie ;)

Hogwildz said:
If those are stacked on the ground, those bottom pcs will be trash, and a waste. Cherry is good stuff.

Depending on the temperature it should last a little over 1/2 month. With the Lopi in the basement and from the temps this year we are burning 2.67 face cord a month starting in December.

The black cherry is stacked on some smaller pine.

zap

hareball said:
I've been burning the hell out of some twisted cherry. Getting great heat but a lot of coals.

I took some advice from this site and started raking the coals forward an let them burn down more.

Zap

Hogwildz said:

That is not necessarily true Hog. If left for many years it will trash but certainly not in the first year. We've done it many times with no problem.

Backwoods Savage said:
Hogwildz said:

That is not necessarily true Hog. If left for many years it will trash but certainly not in the first year. We've done it many times with no problem.
I can't remember if I ever specifically put cherry on the ground, but it doesn't hurt oak within 5 years. If I go to burn it, and the pieces that are touching the ground seem a little too heavy or wet, I just toss them on the top of next year's pile. No big deal.

Was that covered up ?
I've never seen cherry keep it's fresh cut and split colors like that for much beyond 6 months.

It's kinda damp here, mine grows grey fungi. :)

I can't leave anything on the ground.
I left a shovel outside one Winter with the business end up. Propped against a tree.
The termites had claimed at least 4 inches of the handle where it touched the ground.

billb3 said:
Was that covered up ?
I've never seen cherry keep it's fresh cut and split colors like that for much beyond 6 months.

It's kinda damp here, mine grows grey fungi. :)

I can't leave anything on the ground.
I left a shovel outside one Winter with the business end up. Propped against a tree.
The termites had claimed at least 4 inches of the handle where it touched the ground.

It was covered for the first winter then uncovered for the summer an covered again for this winter (top only) it's stacked in an area that gets partial sun.

zap

Status
Not open for further replies.