30-NC Ash Option

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backhoe

Sep 20, 2007
E Mass
As has been posted on hearth.com many times, ash cleanout on the 30-NC leaves something to be desired. The various methods described on the forum created too much fly ash to suit me so I started to think about other ideas. I have attached two pictures of my solution which is to put a screen in place while raking ash so that only the light ash falls to the pan and the working coals stay in the stove. I get virtually no fly ash into the house using this method. This is only a working model made from 1/2 " hardware cloth / screen. I doubt the working model will stand up to repeated heat application but I have used this about 10 times and its still pretty much together. After burning for two days I generally get a little less than one pan full of fine ash. I just thought I'd pass this along and maybe others have refinement ideas.

Attachments

• 30-NC screen 1.jpg
    30-NC screen 1.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 272
  • 30-NC screen 2.jpg
    30-NC screen 2.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 264
I'll have to give it a try. I don't like using an ash bucket either, to much ash dust.

That's the only complaint I have with the stove, under sized ash pan.

Because I am using the the legs I'm going to fabricate a large ash pan, someday!

I like it, never thought of doing that. as I am at my shop and do not remember the dimensions' I will make up a flat plate to lay across. large enough to bump up at the front so I can just drag the ash and bits over it.

My first prototype I made level with the fire brick but I found out quickly that would get snagged as I dragged ash across it so on my second build I made it so it was about 1/4 inch lower than the fire brick and that worked much better. I think I'm going to make a heavier duty version this week out of some old floor register cast iron I have around and I think that the extra weight and fitting lower will work a little better.

Even though I love my NC-30 the ash pan is useless. I will never use it again. I simply make sure the ash can is partway into the stove and let the draft suck up any fly ash when i scoop up the ash and dump it into the can.

Status
Not open for further replies.