30-NC quality control???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bugboy

Hearth Supporter
Mar 5, 2007
north-central Kansas
I brought in my new Englander 30-NC yesterday. I sure hope the build quality is better than what I saw initially!!!
While changing from the pedestal to the legs, we noticed a great deal of welding spatter all over the nuts and bolts that connect the pedestal/legs to the body of the stove. There was enough that we had great difficulty getting the nuts off and getting the legs tightened.
Also noticed that the ash pan is not welded at all the joints, it's just kind of "folded and tacked". It appears that I'll have to seal the joints in order to avoid ashes leaking out while transporting for emptying.
Other than that, no readily apparent problems.
Now just waiting warmer weather to make the roof penetration and hook up stovepipe/chimney.

Silicone should be fine for sealing those ashpan joints - use RTV red or black if you can find it.
If that ends up burning away, you have lots of other options like furnace cement, etc....available in a caulk tube.

As to QC, could be worse - at least you were able to get 'er going with some effort. 30-nc owners here are a happy lot - biggest complaint seems to be turning it down! So you should be pleased with the performance.

Good Luck.

I've only been here a few short months but I have yet read a post saying that Englander's don't do the job. They're inexpensive stoves that seem to perform/heat as well as stoves costing 3 and 4 times more. I would not consider a little weld spatter a build quality issue.

The ash pan on my PE T6 has joints that are folded over, have what appear to be small rivetts, and silicone to seal the joints.

Status
Not open for further replies.