30-nc replacing with??????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

pro5oh

Hearth Supporter
Aug 19, 2008
downeast Maine
Bought my 30-nc 3 years ago and its been a decent stove once I learned how to run it. The stove has overpowered our home size wise on looks and btu's, but I like the 8hr+ burn times. I find myself itching to buy a new cast iron stove for proportional looks and a bit more quality such as a jotul oslo. But don't know if I should jump, I only burn 2 cord/yr and have about $600 invested in the 30.....what to do?

Find you a Jotul that ya like?

Greybeard said:
Bought my 30-nc 3 years ago and its been a decent stove once I learned how to run it. The stove has overpowered our home size wise on looks and btu's, but I like the 8hr+ burn times. I find myself itching to buy a new cast iron stove for proportional looks and a bit more quality such as a jotul oslo. But don't know if I should jump, I only burn 2 cord/yr and have about $600 invested in the 30.....what to do?

Sell the 30 on CraigsList and buy a used Jotul. By the sound of it an Oslo would work.

BrowningBAR said:
Greybeard said:

Sell the 30 on CraigsList and buy a used Jotul. By the sound of it an Oslo would work.

you could easily get 400 to 500 hundred on Craigs for that baby.

KatWill said:
BrowningBAR said:
Greybeard said:

you could easily get 400 to 500 hundred on Craigs for that baby.

Yup.

If the OP buys the Jotul in the off-season and sells the 30 next fall/winter, he could probably get $600 for the stove if it is in good shape.

I can tell you as an owner of a Englander 30 and a Woodstock cat stove that the burn of these stoves are very different in terms of temperature range of operation. My Englander is a fine stove - don't get me wrong. I like it, it is a heating beast, easy to load, ain't bad looking (with legs ;) ) and for our install, is working pretty good - now that I've got most of my learning curve behind me.

Having said the above, however, if I were ever to replace the Englander, I would absoutely go with a cat stove. For utility and firebox capacity, I'd consider a Blaze King - King or Princeses, a Vermont Castings Defiant or Encore, and IMHO, the ultimate reliable/easy on the eyes cat stove - a Woostock soapstone stove.

Do some searching on the Woodstock Fireview, Keystone or the new Progressive Hybrid. Super quaity, great looks and most important long clean burns.

Good luck,
Bill

Greybeard said:

It's your money and your home . . . if you want to buy a good looking Jotul stove . . . or any other stove for that matter . . . and you have the time and money I say go for it . . . just be aware of any additional hearth or clearance requirements for the new stove (although I believe most of the Jotuls have pretty easy requirements for the hearth and clearances are pretty easy to live with as well.)

That said . . . only burning 2 cords a year and have paid $600 for the stove . . . hard to complain about the Englander . . . especially with the price of heating oil.

Greybeard said:

Went shopping today looking at models other than on the internet. Btu's the Jotul f400 looks good, wish I knew someone with a cat stove, never seen one running, it does have my curiousity though. And yes for the $600 I have in it, its hard to justify a different stove. Everywhere around here sells for retail, used cat stoves scare me, how do you know if the cat is kaput?

If the cat is bad, which it might be just from age - say a 5 yr old stove, it would need replacing anyway. The cat is a consumable item - replacement isn't a big deal. The woodstock cat's are/were around $125, they are warranted for I think 6 years, the first couple 100% free replacement.

With regard to used cat stoves, the most potential for problems are the Vermont Castings stoves due to their fragile refractory guts. You can get a good used VC stove, but just be aware you might have to plow some $$$'s into it if the refractory gives out. I think another used/easy on the eyes wood stove would be the Dutchwest cat stoves, but oddly enough, I'd stick with the Vermont Castings built ones vs the much older Consolidated Dutchwest versions. The other makes of cat stoves, like Blaze King, Buck and Woodstock, I think you could buy without to much worries - other than if the previous owner overfired them and warped something. None of those stoves have fragile refractories to damage. The Dutchwest has a refractory around their cat, but I don't think it is possible to physically damage it so it's an OK application of that material. For the ultimate in reliable, basically new but used wood stoves, Woodstock has refurbish stoves for sale from time to time. These are stoves that customers returned under their six month money back warranty. Todd bought one of these and from my understanding of his comments, what he got, while a refurb, was a new stove.

Do some searching on cat stoves - especially the Woodstock ones. I think you will like them.

Good luck,
Bill

leeave96 said:
If the cat is bad, which it might be just from age - say a 5 yr old stove, it would need replacing anyway. The cat is a consumable item - replacement isn't a big deal. The woodstock cat's are/were around $125, they are warranted for I think 6 years, the first couple 100% free replacement.

With regard to used cat stoves, the most potential for problems are the Vermont Castings stoves due to their fragile refractory guts. You can get a good used VC stove, but just be aware you might have to plow some $$$'s into it if the refractory gives out. I think another used/easy on the eyes wood stove would be the Dutchwest cat stoves, but oddly enough, I'd stick with the Vermont Castings built ones vs the much older Consolidated Dutchwest versions. The other makes of cat stoves, like Blaze King, Buck and Woodstock, I think you could buy without to much worries - other than if the previous owner overfired them and warped something. None of those stoves have fragile refractories to damage. The Dutchwest has a refractory around their cat, but I don't think it is possible to physically damage it so it's an OK application of that material. For the ultimate in reliable, basically new but used wood stoves, Woodstock has refurbish stoves for sale from time to time. These are stoves that customers returned under their six month money back warranty. Todd bought one of these and from my understanding of his comments, what he got, while a refurb, was a new stove.

Do some searching on cat stoves - especially the Woodstock ones. I think you will like them.

Good luck,
Bill

Contacted Woodstock today and their special has been extended to the end of Nov. $1995 for a new fireside, more choices haha BTW you guys are great, always good info here!

Used 30-NC stoves are classified as hazardous waste by the EPA. All of them are to be sent, freight pre-paid, to the Fed-Ex Freight terminal at Manassas, VA attn: BrotherBart for proper disposal. :coolsmirk:

Went shopping today looking at models other than on the internet. Btu's the Jotul f400 looks good, wish I knew someone with a cat stove, never seen one running, it does have my curiousity though. And yes for the $600 I have in it, its hard to justify a different stove. Everywhere around here sells for retail, used cat stoves scare me, how do you know if the cat is kaput?

On the used cat, assume you will have to replace it, and if you don't, you just saved money. Make sure you price a new cat for the model you are looking at, as prices vary quite a bit between the different stoves.

On overheating the space, I went from a large pre-epa stove to a small cat stove that had a full convection shell, and that made a world of difference for us in our space, along with the cat for low slow burns.

For a stove with some looks, and the way it heats, soapstone would be worth a look, and I would want the cat, take a look at the woodstock stoves if you can.

Good luck.[/quote]

Status
Not open for further replies.