30-nc to Woodstock Fireview made the right choice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pro5oh

Aug 19, 2008
downeast Maine
Howdy folks, sent my 3 year old 30-nc packing, great stove for the $ but to much heat for my house, if I had a basement I would have kept it. This fireview is simply amazing to me in quality and performance. The stove is in our living room and the 30 put out a mean 500-550 degree heat that was intense, but now the soft soapstone heat really is "softer". I'm able to regulate temps better, using less wood and dont have smoke problems when the door is opened. But the 30 was $600 and the fireview $2200 always will have respect for the 30, but for my place the fireview was a great choice.

Good choice, you will love the stove and it will pay for itself just like the NC-30 but will just take a while longer, think long term. $2200 is a great deal on the Fireview, I still remember what I payed 6 years ago, $2419.

I heat from the basement and that's why I love my 30. I can see how it could be too much in a main living space unless the area is really open.

Glad to hear the good start w/ the fireview.

I'd love to try one of these woodstock stoves in my home.

Pics??? :cheese:

pen

Joey said:
Any idea what causes the smoke spillage on the NC30??? Just curious....
Mine did it and my buddies does as well. I wonder if its the way the top inside of the stove is made. Ceramic board is only about 2 inches from the door opening, on the fire view and my resolute there is 4 or so inches of cast metal that holds the smoke in. Its similar to holding a bowl upside down versus a cookie sheet. I was also told the 30 needs massive draft which I dont have, I even bought a ad-1 draft inducer. But the fireview works without the ad-1 and had to add an elbow which slows draft down, but works fine.

pen said:
I heat from the basement and that's why I love my 30. I can see how it could be too much in a main living space unless the area is really open.

Glad to hear the good start w/ the fireview.

I'd love to try one of these woodstock stoves in my home.

Pics??? :cheese:

pen
I'll try to take some pics, got the child cage around it. I'll move it and snap a few.

Greybeard said:
I'll try to take some pics, got the child cage around it. I'll move it and snap a few.

yea, you should probably get that away from the stove

stock-photo-children-trapped-in-a-cage-2394539.jpg

pen

Can't relate to the smoke spillage, but glad that rock is doing the job for you. If Todd says they are great stoves, I believe that they are great stoves.

Todd said:
Good choice, you will love the stove and it will pay for itself just like the NC-30 but will just take a while longer, think long term. $2200 is a great deal on the Fireview, I still remember what I payed 6 years ago, $2419.

Ain't it the truth. Same time I paid $1,200 for the 30.

Greybeard, you are one more happy Woodstock stove owner. You are right on the difference in the feel of the heat. I thought that was baloney but found out otherwise. We love it. Going into our 5th winter with ours.

I've got the Englander 30-NCH and also a Woodstock Keystone. Both are great stoves and excellent quality. I couldn't have the 30 in our living room - as the sq ft-age is small - nor could I have the Keystone in the basement install as it resembles more a great room. I can see where the 30 and stoves like the Alderlea T6 would have their heat tempered by a large open heating area. The Keystone in our small living room is perfect. Plenty of heat when turned-up, long clean heat when turned down.

Happy burning,
Bill

Gotta love that "soft heat"!

Status
Not open for further replies.