30 NCHearth Build R-Value

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am in the process of laying out the build for the install of my 30NC. I have done some searching on the forum and found a couple of posts that are helpful. My plan is that I would use steel studs and 2 or 3 layers of Next Gen Durock to get to my 1.5 R-value. Is this the preferred way or is there a better way? Height of the hearth is not an issue as i plan on lifting it up around 10"-12" from the floor. Does anyone have any suggestions on my proposed setup?

With the proper r-value, steel studs really aren't necessary, and it may be easier to use wood.

The next gen durock isn't rated for a very high temp, however, if you keep the stud spacing reasonable (16inch centers at most) and put a layer of plywood down, then durock, and screw the poo out of the several layers of durock, you should be good to go.

Since the next-gen durock is rated as non-combustible, yet has a low, max temp rating, I decided to give it a test as a heat shield next to a wood stove in a cabin. The only problem I found was on the bottom, where I didn't have the fasteners close enough, it started to curl. Otherwise, it has shown zero signs of degradation from heat in several years of some serious heat.

That said, in a floor application for r-value, if it's screwed down every 6 inches into a base like plywood, then tile on top, and you should be set.

pen

Status
Not open for further replies.